Interested in bearded dragons advice and info needed :) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Regular
Smile Interested in bearded dragons advice and info needed :)

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are interested in buying 2 bearded dragons. We are both all new to this and would like some info and advice off people if possible? few things would like to know is:

1. Is it best to buy two babies from young even though wont know the sex and as they grow older would they be territorial if they ended up being 2 males for instance?

2. What is the minimum size vivarium you can have for 2 dragons?

Have seen many different colours and breeds of dragons all abit confusing to me at the moment lol am quite liking the citrus and red leatherbacks i think if im correct if anyone got any pictures of them to show me would be most grateful

thankyou

cat xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2013, 11:56 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat987 View Post
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are interested in buying 2 bearded dragons. We are both all new to this and would like some info and advice off people if possible? few things would like to know is:

1. Is it best to buy two babies from young even though wont know the sex and as they grow older would they be territorial if they ended up being 2 males for instance?

2. What is the minimum size vivarium you can have for 2 dragons?

Have seen many different colours and breeds of dragons all abit confusing to me at the moment lol am quite liking the citrus and red leatherbacks i think if im correct if anyone got any pictures of them to show me would be most grateful

thankyou

cat xx
I wouldn't recommend buying two babies unless you were going to separate them down the line. With m/m pairings they will fight, simple as that. M/f pairings could still result in fights or at least constant harassment by the male to breed, resulting in further issues, malnourished, calcium depleted, constantly gravid female. F/f pairings can work however its totally dependant on the dragons in question. Unless you have a large viv to house them in, plus a second viv fully setup in case you have to separate plus a good amount of spare cash in case of likely vets bills I wouldn't recommend it.

Viv size for two dragons should in my opinion be at very very least 6x2x2 or equivalent floor space. You will need to allow for two basking spots and areas that they can get away from each other. If I was going to try cohabiting I would try to have a viv roughly 6x3x3 or larger.
cat987 likes this.

Old 30-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Regular

Hi Cat, its a bit of a hot topic about keeping 2 dragons together. I have 2 females together in a 6x2x2 viv, never had any problems but I have a spare 4ft setup if I need it + I am at home all the time, so I can keep a good eye on them.

cat987 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Regular

Hi Tom,

Thankyou for your reply tbh it didnt even cross my mind about 2 basking spots, sounds easier to just get the one then would of been nice to have two but like you say if dont get on etc get run into problems. im taking it you have bearded dragons? Have just looked at your links you sent, the buliding of the viv looks very impressive when would the final product be complete and how much?

cat xx
Old 30-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Regular

Hi mxjay,

Wow your viv looks amazing!! very nice and your dragons look beautiful what type are they? yea tom was just saying its abit dodgy keeping two together i would like to but dont wana run into problems.

xx
Old 30-03-2013, 01:19 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Thankyou for your reply tbh it didnt even cross my mind about 2 basking spots, sounds easier to just get the one then would of been nice to have two but like you say if dont get on etc get run into problems. im taking it you have bearded dragons? Have just looked at your links you sent, the buliding of the viv looks very impressive when would the final product be complete and how much?

cat xx
I do indeed. The links in my sig I assume you mean? I'm literally about to head off to the shed once I've finished my cuppa to do what I hope will be the final bits of work. Then it'll be a few days to allow all to dry, sand it all down smooth, make sure there's nothing I've missed, then its finished.

I'll be looking for offers around the £400 mark. I understand this is expensive but it isn't when you consider the money and time put in to it and the fact that a basic 4x2x2 setup will cost you about £150 to get to the same point once you've considered heating, feeding/water bowls, decor, substrate etc.

Old 30-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcannon View Post
I do indeed. The links in my sig I assume you mean? I'm literally about to head off to the shed once I've finished my cuppa to do what I hope will be the final bits of work. Then it'll be a few days to allow all to dry, sand it all down smooth, make sure there's nothing I've missed, then its finished.

I'll be looking for offers around the £400 mark. I understand this is expensive but it isn't when you consider the money and time put in to it and the fact that a basic 4x2x2 setup will cost you about £150 to get to the same point once you've considered heating, feeding/water bowls, decor, substrate etc.
Brilliant will you put a pic up when its complete interested in having a look. i £400 is very reasonable like you say the time and money put in and so far does look amazing!! i shall speak to my partner when he gets home. So excited when i can finally get set up xx
Old 30-03-2013, 01:31 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Brilliant will you put a pic up when its complete interested in having a look. i £400 is very reasonable like you say the time and money put in and so far does look amazing!! i shall speak to my partner when he gets home. So excited when i can finally get set up xx
I will do. I'll try to grab pics today although it won't be finished.

Old 30-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Regular

Hi Cat, the pics don't really do them any justice, the colours are much brighter in real life plus they are heading into shed at the moment.

The little yellow girl, Lola is a Hypo Citrus Tiger, I think.

The big red girl, Mia is a Hypo Rainbow Tiger, I think.

I think that's what morphs they are but not 100% sure, I'm no expert, maybe someone who knows better than me could call it better.

This is where they came from, Where Dragons Dwell
Old 30-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxjay View Post
Hi Cat, the pics don't really do them any justice, the colours are much brighter in real life plus they are heading into shed at the moment.

The little yellow girl, Lola is a Hypo Citrus Tiger, I think.

The big red girl, Mia is a Hypo Rainbow Tiger, I think.

I think that's what morphs they are but not 100% sure, I'm no expert, maybe someone who knows better than me could call it better.

This is where they came from, Where Dragons Dwell
They are beautiful tho, would like some colour and markings on mine when i get them. just checked out that website wow they have lovely ones in. have just emailed the company as unsure how it works as noticed price in euros and they ship them? just been out and about to get some more info myself lol waiting for my partner to get home so we can go out again lol. Have found a 4ft vivarium on ebay for £300 that the man in shop said a bargain comes with everything Viv Exotic Vivarium - Tortoises / Bearded Dragon / Gecko / Snake / Lizard / Frog | eBay if you would mind having a look would you say its suitable as unsure with the basking bulb etc?

cat xxx

Tags
advice & help , bearded dragon , bearded dragon setup , information , newowners