Just got a female leopard gecko - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 30-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Hatchling
Default Just got a female leopard gecko

Hello i have a male 1 year old leopard gecko and it seems that he is shaking his tail but my female is around 6 months old and bite my male and im really worried on what will happen in the future. Please reply thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Star Member

Separate them

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Old 30-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Hatchling

Ok thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-2013, 12:30 AM
5 Star Member

Sorry I was rushing off so it was only a quick post!

You can always have problems co-habiting geckos, they will compete for dominance over food, heating and hides. So there will always be one submissive one that won't necessarily get everything it needs. This is ultimately cause stress, and long-term stress means that they're more likely to get ill, go off food etc.

The problem that you're likely to have if they stay together is mating as well as the dominance. At a year old your male is sexually mature and will harass the female, the female at 6 months is not ready for breeding at all and this will cause complications with laying (if she produces any eggs at all).

Separating them will ensure that they won't have to compete for resources and you won't have problems with early mating - so it's better for both their sakes
HCExotics likes this.

Old 31-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Hatchling

Hello again,
I have to wait for a delivery for the tank for her and i had a look out on them all night and seemed to be ok together, they are both in the hide together but im still worried what will happen in the future with both of them. I bought this female from Neath Reggae reptiles and i asked them if i could house a 1 year old male with a 6 month old female and he said yes and this is my first time having a female lizard. And also one question for me if i put the female in a different tank and wait until she is older, will it be alright if I house them then?
Cheers,
Brandon.
Old 31-03-2013, 05:27 PM
5 Star Member

Frankly he shouldn't have said you could, especially with a female that young! He should also have suggested some kind of quarantine, bunging a new animal in without any health checks or faecal samples could mean that you've introduced a nasty to your male (or to the female).

You can potentially house them together but I would wait until the female has fully matured (around 2 years old) however it's best to keep them separate permanently due to dominance and mating. They will breed and they will need to be separated anyway for the female to lay and recuperate in peace. Sometimes housing together works out, sometimes it doesn't - always err on the side of caution though!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Hatchling

i have now separeted them but now the female wont eat please help thanks its been like 3 or 4 days now and she has not eaten
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonElliott View Post
i have now separeted them but now the female wont eat please help thanks its been like 3 or 4 days now and she has not eaten
She's going to go through another settling in period (can take a couple of weeks), where she may not eat as much or at all. Give her time and leave her in peace, making sure that she has access to food if she wants it.

Tags
gecko