crested and gargoyle geckos. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 31-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Egg
Default crested and gargoyle geckos.

hi guys and gals,

new to the forums and very much new to the world of reptiles. although i have been reading up on the care and requirements for several months now- i cannot bring myself to choose between the two.

so, as well as a few following questions; what are your preferences on the two species?

i have found that a lot of articles seem to conflict with each other in regards to the enclosure size for gargs where length is longer than height and vice versa. can they get on well in both? i have an exo terra 18 x 18 x 24 with plenty of gecko safe greenery and wood.

and also, it seems well documented that gargs can become a lot calmer than cresteds which can lead to them just settling down during handling so i was wondering if any crested owners have had luck in succeeding the same?

sorry for all the ?'s but thank ya to those who respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Premier Citizen

from what i have read that size is OK for one adult as for handling i dont know

i do know that crested geckos are easy to handle however they can jump from your hand at times they seem so relaxed all the time
i house my crested geckos in glass vivs that are 18 x 18 x 24 inches high

Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Regular

I have two gargoyles and they are housed in a 45x45x60 tall exo terra, I bought them in this set up and they seem to be ok together and have plenty of space to climb and hide etc. I have only had these guys a couple of weeks but they seem to be handling better than some cresties I've had for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Egg

thank you both for the advice.. i'm still none the wiser on the choice of gecko, mind pahaha.

to be honest i don't feel there would ever be a wrong choice in whichever i go for. i love the crestie for their fascinating looks and history- it really just comes down to potentially being heart broken if he or she were to ever become frog butted lol. gargs are equally fascinating to look at and i like that they are not as much of a popular choice compared to cresties, as well as the tail regen bonus of course.

bahh, maybe i will own both eventually? ^-^
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Regular

Good choice go for both you can't go far wrong then

I would go with the tall aboreal viv however as they do like to climb
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Egg

heh, it would definitely settle things alright!

i got myself a small tall (60cm h, 45cm w + d) exo terra congo expo kit just before christmas after falling in love with it so hopefully that'll do for the time being.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Regular

That sounds great, I have two adult female cresties in one of those and two young gargs in another and they all have lots of room and make a real focal point in any room once decorated and illuminated.

If I was asked which I preferred out of the two geckos I would have to say 'both', although I am finding myself being drawn to the gargs ever so slightly

Do you have a local breeder which you would be able to have a chat to and perhaps pay a visit? Or even a good reptile shop, they are often keen to assist
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Egg

awh, glad to hear it! i have given some thought to getting two female cresties considering you could pick them up for the price of a gargoyle almost lol. but it's more so the difficulty of finding them and i guess i'd like to have whichever as a sadly unsexed baby.

in ever so slightly speaking terms, it sounds like the gargs are of a small preference if at least for the moment heh. i have read that they have a little more personality but it's probably down to the individual. is there any true differences in behaviour with yours?

i'm not sure of any breeders myself but i have visited a good number of shops in the south with one in particular and an assistant who went the extra mile with his friendliness and advice. he hadn't kept neither cresties nor gargoyles but just from working with them he rated the gargoyles much higher, while providing a few pointers on both species.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Regular

Personally I think getting a baby is a really nice way to introduce yourself to the world of rhacs, they are so comical and you get the pleasure of watching them grow and thrive.

I haven't had mine long enough to say that I've noticed any distinct differences between the two as yet but a local breeder did tell me that when the gargs eggs hatch the babies must be separated as soon as possible as they will attempt to eat each other, I am not sure how old they are before this danger passes but I have two gargs aged a few month which live together quite happily.

You are right about the pricing but it's always a case of the most readily available being the most affordable.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Egg

heh, yep! i just also like the idea of taming him or her down as best as possible with some early handling from myself. and not to mention the size of the heads to tiny body.. that's darned cute lol.

i have read numerous of care sheets stating that tails and feet can go missing through cannibalism with gargoyles but it's great to hear that yours have been housed together rather successfully! ^-^

indeed it is, the gargoyles are just as hard to come across too. i can easily pick up a lovely looking crestie from a couple of shops within a 10 mile radius but the closest i can find a garg is over 30 odd miles away.

thanks for the kind replies, sonia!

Tags
crested , gargoyle , gecko