Crested Gecko (handling/lighting/misc) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 05-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Hatchling
Default Crested Gecko (handling/lighting/misc)

Hey Guys and Girls,

Posting in newbie advice because I am a newbie when it comes to these delightful crested geckos.

I bought my gecko a few days ago and it's currently being housed in a 60cm (length) x 30cm (depth) x 45cm (height) komodo vivarium. With a mesh top and a mesh section on one side for ventilation. I assume this is adequate?

I'm doing fine with humidity although temps are a pain in the ass due to the constant cold blast hitting us here in Northern Ireland. To this extent I have currently resorted to using a heatlamp to warm the tank up, and this is where my first issue has arisen. I'm concerned that the mesh top is getting a bit too warm and I'm worried he might damage himself if he gets onto it. I assume climbing upside down on mesh is no issue for something that can climb glass. The lamp is hanging over the vivarium, and the mesh would be "warm" to my touch. I expect once the cold weather goes the central heating will keep him more than warm enough through the night.

Secondly, what's the deal with handling? I know you can handle these guys, but how does it play out. Do they just "tolerate" the handling, do they enjoy it once they get used to it, do they come to expect handling after a while? (My bearded dragon will enrage if he isn't handled/let out for a few days).

Third: To UV or not UV? I'm personally getting ready to set up a UVB 5% on top of the mesh and letting him decide himself if he wants to make use of it. He's got some fake leaves to hide under if he wants to reduce exposure, and some cork bark if he wants none at all.

I've read and been told of eye problems, but I am putting that down to people using those awful cheap compact coil UVB bulbs.

However I would prefer to make sure I am right on this before plowing ahead.

Other than this, things seem to be going fine. I've seen him eat a few crickets over the days he's been here, he is moving around at night. My temperatures and humidity are "adequate" (around 72 in the day, and 64 at night). I feel these are on the low end but only because it's so cold outside, if it gets any colder I may need additional solutions (our house rooms are very large and don't retain heat well). Humidity is about 75% after the misting, dropping to about 35% the following evening. I'm gradually trying to take this up to about 80% after misting, dropping to about 40% the next evening. I'm just trying not to overdo it earlier on.

That said, if anyone has any other random advice, stories, or information I would love to hear it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read or reply!

Regards
Atomicide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicide View Post
Hey Guys and Girls,

Posting in newbie advice because I am a newbie when it comes to these delightful crested geckos.

I bought my gecko a few days ago and it's currently being housed in a 60cm (length) x 30cm (depth) x 45cm (height) komodo vivarium. With a mesh top and a mesh section on one side for ventilation. I assume this is adequate?

I'm doing fine with humidity although temps are a pain in the ass due to the constant cold blast hitting us here in Northern Ireland. To this extent I have currently resorted to using a heatlamp to warm the tank up, and this is where my first issue has arisen. I'm concerned that the mesh top is getting a bit too warm and I'm worried he might damage himself if he gets onto it. I assume climbing upside down on mesh is no issue for something that can climb glass. The lamp is hanging over the vivarium, and the mesh would be "warm" to my touch. I expect once the cold weather goes the central heating will keep him more than warm enough through the night.

Secondly, what's the deal with handling? I know you can handle these guys, but how does it play out. Do they just "tolerate" the handling, do they enjoy it once they get used to it, do they come to expect handling after a while? (My bearded dragon will enrage if he isn't handled/let out for a few days).

Third: To UV or not UV? I'm personally getting ready to set up a UVB 5% on top of the mesh and letting him decide himself if he wants to make use of it. He's got some fake leaves to hide under if he wants to reduce exposure, and some cork bark if he wants none at all.

I've read and been told of eye problems, but I am putting that down to people using those awful cheap compact coil UVB bulbs.

Other than this, things seem to be going fine. I've seen him eat a few crickets over the days he's been here, he is moving around at night. My temperatures and humidity are "adequate" (around 72 in the day, and 64 at night). I feel these are on the low end but only because it's so cold outside, if it gets any colder I may need additional solutions (our house rooms are very large and don't retain heat well). Humidity is about 75% after the misting, dropping to about 35% the following evening. I'm gradually trying to take this up to about 80% after misting, dropping to about 40% the next evening. I'm just trying not to overdo it earlier on.

That said, if anyone has any other random advice, stories, or information I would love to hear it.

Regards
Atomicide.
Is your viv exoterra?

The mesh on their top doesnt seem to get overly hot, i just engaged man mode and put my hand under 150 watt bulb and against the mesh, pleasantly warm.

I don't recall you mentioning a thermostat. You have more issue of harming your animal without this than it reaching the mesh. My heat is on and off ever couple of minutes to stop it going over and i believe crested geckos need lower heats.
0.1 Royal Python
1.1 Red Blood Python
1.0 Common Boa
1.0 Burmese Python
1.1 Florida Kingsnake
1.0 Green Anaconda
1.1 Brazilian Rainbow boa
0.1 Leopard Gecko

Snake twin of Lexicious!

My snakes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicide View Post
Hey Guys and Girls,

Yep this will do fine

Never seen mine climb on the top but he should be fine id it isnt too hot to touch then your fine

No bearded dragon nor crestie will love handling although we like to believe it he just tolerates it same with cresties he mabey just likes the space to run about

I use the 5.0 compact bulbs in my crestie tank it helps live plants grow if you have any also helps brighten the cresties colour i think the compact bulbs hurting eyes applies mainly for beardies since there sitting in front of it basking all day where as cresties hide behind plants etc so only get a little light

Regards
Atomicide.
Above in red

Also is it only crickets he eats as he should be getting crested gecko diet also
And dont worry to much about humidity aslong as you mist once or twice a day

Plus what substrate are you using

• 1.0.0 normal Burmese python
  • 0.1.0 Pastel kubsch boa
  • 0.1.0 Normal boa
  • 0.0.1 normal corn snake
  • 1.0.0 green iguana
  • 0.1.0 red iguana
  • 1.0.0 Hermann tortoise
  • 1.2.9 leopard geckos hypo,super hypo,blizzard,talbino,normal
  • 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
  • 0.0.1 amel corn snake
  • 0.0.1 Berber skink
  • 0.0.1 desert iguans
  • 1.0.0 rottweiler (odin)
  • 2.0.0 rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Premier Member

HI,

Cresties really do seem to do better under the correct levels of UV. Many people on the forum will say this.

It is however important to provide areas of light and shade and allow good self regualtion by the animal.

We suggest providing a wild UVIndex over a usable portion of the viv usually half to two thirds the length of the enclosure. We then suggest that good areas of shade are provided. Much of this is provided by using a lamp that is shorter than the enlcosure. well thoughtout planting and log plaments is also key.

The animal will then be able to decide where it wants to be and when. This is self regualtion just as in the wild.

if you have any specific questions fire me over a PM

John

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottalma View Post
Is your viv exoterra?

The mesh on their top doesnt seem to get overly hot, i just engaged man mode and put my hand under 150 watt bulb and against the mesh, pleasantly warm.

I don't recall you mentioning a thermostat. You have more issue of harming your animal without this than it reaching the mesh. My heat is on and off ever couple of minutes to stop it going over and i believe crested geckos need lower heats.
It's a komodo brand viv, not exoterra. I have a dimming thermostat which is doing the job well, however overnight the bulb seems to be staying on near full power because it has been so cold. The mesh is "warm" to the touch, but if I had to move the bulb closer (tested it out) it does get hot to the touch, and would burn me.

However the weather seems to have gotten better now, so I think this will be a non-issue now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzer View Post
Above in red

Also is it only crickets he eats as he should be getting crested gecko diet also
And dont worry to much about humidity aslong as you mist once or twice a day

Plus what substrate are you using
Thanks for your help. As best I can tell he is only eating crickets. I am feeding him the crested gecko diet, but cannot confirm he is eating it. He isn't taking many crickets yet either, but I think that has to do with the stress of moving more than anything else.

I'm currently trying to get him to take crickets I have dipped in the CGD in his tank and he has taken two of them, so I'm hoping he will get a taste for it if he hasn't already.

Substrate is Red Orchid Bark, with some sphagnum moss. (Will probably change this to eco earth or similar so I can plant the viv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
HI,

Cresties really do seem to do better under the correct levels of UV. Many people on the forum will say this.

It is however important to provide areas of light and shade and allow good self regualtion by the animal.

John
The viv is not planted well yet to be honest. However he does have a few sets of fake leaves he likes to hide in during the day as well as a hide on the floor of the tank he has used once or twice.

I will definitely get him a bulb within the next week!

Just want to thank everyone who replied for their help as well. It is very much appreciated!

Tags
crested gecko , handling , lighting , newbie , uvb