HELP!!! it's all going pete tong! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Egg
Default HELP!!! it's all going pete tong!

Hi all
I am in desperate need of some advice please.
I ahve just bought a bearded dragon (5 mnths old) but am struggling to maintain a high temperature in the viv. I have a termocontrol pro 2 thermostat which I have set to 29 degrees and placed the prob in the tank at the halfway point about an inch above the substrate. Initially we were using a ceramic bulb but there wasn't enough light in the tank and the temp was only getting to 22 degrees according to the external display. Due to the light issue we have changed to a spot light (100 watts) but again the viv only gets to 21-22 degrees. I turned off the spot last night so beardie could sleep but when i came down this morning the temp display was showing 16 degrees . This is not good - how can i sort this out please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Super Regular

What size viv is this in? as this depends on the size of lamp required, and where are you measuring the temperature?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Egg

the viv is a metre long by 48cm. The probe is in the middle of the tank about an inch from the substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Regular

If it is that size, You should ideally have a 150w Basking lamp in there as that is quite a large area for a 100w to try and heat up i would say.

I used to keep mine in a 4 x 2 x 18" and that needed a 150w, Then at night i had a 10w Blue lamp on the other side come on for 8 hours during the night.

Are you measuring with a digital Thermometer?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Egg

The ceramic bulb was 150 watt but didn't make a difference - maybe a degree warmer if that. So is it a case of just adding more bulbs (spot or ceramic) for heat? - what about night time? just run the ceramic? or get a red/blue bulb?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM
5 Star Member

It must be an issue with the stat, not the bulb or ceramic, 150w is plenty enough for a viv this size, if anything too much. If you have the bulb plugged straight in to the wall, what temp does it get to? This is effectively the highest that bulb is capable of heating the viv to. If it gets hot enough then you just need to sort the probe placement so it isn't dimming the bulb too much.