heating for a crestie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Hatchling
Default heating for a crestie

Please can someone on here tell me the best type of heating for a crestie. At the moment mine has a 60 watt bulb and a heat mat set 26c at night. I'm aware that this isn't perfect, which is why I want to change it. Please help as I'm a very new owner of a crestie and I have a lot to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Forum Citizen

This is one of many threads like this. Most of the newbie queries are related to cresties, beardies or leos! Try clicking search on the top of the newbie help page and looking for previous threads on this topic while someone gets back to you. I have seen 3-4 threads on this in the last week, would help if i could.
0.1 Royal Python
1.1 Red Blood Python
1.0 Common Boa
1.0 Burmese Python
1.1 Florida Kingsnake
1.0 Green Anaconda
1.1 Brazilian Rainbow boa
0.1 Leopard Gecko

Snake twin of Lexicious!

My snakes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Forum Citizen

Knew i remembered the name. In your last very similar thread someone advised you pulse thermostat+ceramic element/bulb.
0.1 Royal Python
1.1 Red Blood Python
1.0 Common Boa
1.0 Burmese Python
1.1 Florida Kingsnake
1.0 Green Anaconda
1.1 Brazilian Rainbow boa
0.1 Leopard Gecko

Snake twin of Lexicious!

My snakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Regular

I use a dimmer stat and light dome with a ceramic bulb for day time temps and then of at night.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Regular

I'm using a ceramic heat bulb with a cage type heat guard over it so they don't get burned and a pulse stat, but a dimmer stat and heat lamp with heat guard is pretty much the same, it's all down to preference
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Star Member

A ceramic is the easiest option, only has to be low wattage and doesn't affect any lights you might have in your set up.

Swell do their own range just as good as any other.
Swell Ceramic Heat Emitters | Swell Reptiles

Heat guards can be expensive from shops (For some reason). There are people that make them for cheaper on the forum .

A dimmer or pulse stat is a must, these ceramics can get seriously hot and an on/off stat will make you're temps irregular and shorten the ceramics lifespan, or possibly blow it.

Make sure you're also using a digital thermometer underneath the heat source so you're sure of the temps you're getting.

All in all, not exactly a cheap transition. But the good news is there's no rush. Your crested will be fine for the time being.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Hatchling

Thanks, Rottalma, I'll do that.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Hatchling

Oops, I must have missed, I'll go look at that post, thanks again.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Hatchling

Thanks very much, Jesterone, I agree that a ceramic would be the best option. I think that's what I'll go for. My crestie is in a Exo Terra 45x45x60, could I position a ceramic on top of the mesh instead of inside the vivarium?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawariel View Post
Thanks very much, Jesterone, I agree that a ceramic would be the best option. I think that's what I'll go for. My crestie is in a Exo Terra 45x45x60, could I position a ceramic on top of the mesh instead of inside the vivarium?
You can put it above the mesh no problem. Just make sure the ceramic isn't directly touching the mesh. You can use a dome casing if you can find a good fitting one.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.

Tags
heating cresties