equipment and set up and much much more - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Hatchling
Default equipment and set up and much much more

hi I am getting leopard geckos very soon but was disappointed that when I read about impactation as I was advised to use sand in a highly recommended rfeptile shop, but I am not going to use it as ive read so much about the risks, so first bquestion lino or reptile carpet? I also would like 2 leos im getting a viv that's 28 long 18 wide and 16 tall can I get away with more than one and if so can I have a male and female[or two] or just females? also any suggestions on positioning of hides ect phew so many questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseyquilter View Post
hi I am getting leopard geckos very soon but was disappointed that when I read about impactation as I was advised to use sand in a highly recommended rfeptile shop, but I am not going to use it as ive read so much about the risks, so first bquestion lino or reptile carpet? I also would like 2 leos im getting a viv that's 28 long 18 wide and 16 tall can I get away with more than one and if so can I have a male and female[or two] or just females? also any suggestions on positioning of hides ect phew so many questions
It's not considered wise for beginners to use sand, because of the risk of impaction. There are also cleanliness issues. That's not to say sand can never be used but it's better to avoid the risk in the first place, especially with juvenile geckos. The choice between lino or reptile carpet is your decision. Lino is easier to clean, and can come in lots of different styles. Reptile carpet might offer you a better look but there are sometimes reports of toes and teeth getting caught in the loops (Though, like sand, there are many who use it without problems).

As for vivarium size, bigger is always better. Some may say that that size is just enough for 2 leos, some may say it isn't. The real topic here is, should you really get two? There's a whole heap of problems you can get from this. It's extremely likely they will not get on with each other, causing visible damage and in the worse cases, death. Sometimes this behavior is not even visible, particular to those who aren't aware of Leo behaviors, with most of it occurring during the night. This can range from dominance over the warmer parts of the viv, the larger portion of food and physically fighting. This can also happen the first time they're together, or 2 years down the line.

I definitely can't stop you getting two, so if you're heart is set on it, be very prepared to have to fork out on a complete new set up so you can house them separately in the very likely event they don't get on. Or get yourself a 4 foot viv so you can partition the middle. Either way, if you go for two then they must be two females. A male and female cannot be permanently housed.

Oh and as for hide placement, it depends on if you get one or two leos. But minimum for one leo is cold hide, moist hide, warm hide. That's not to say you can't have all sorts around. My leo has 6, some at different heights.

Good luck with your new rep(s) and if you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask!

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.

Tags
leopard gecko