Imported African pygmy hedgehogs - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 26-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Forum Citizen
Exclamation Imported African pygmy hedgehogs

There has been a sudden increase in the amount of imported African pygmy hedgehogs being brought into the UK illegally over the last few months.
There has been cases in ireland were hogs have been brought in with a great number of them being DOA or severly ill.
I have heard from a quarentine kennels that a lady recently enquired about putting some hogs into quaranteen but the lady phoned them back to say she didnt need to, this is not the case and people should be aware of that.
There are also some pet shops in the UK selling imported hogs.
I just want to make it clear to everyone that any hedgehog imported, that includes from within the EU (so dont be told otherwise) must have been through 6 months quaranteen. This also includes hogs that have been imported into Ireland and then made thier way over here for whatever reason.
If you are intending to purchase a hog from a pet store, i recommend against it, its always best to buy from a breeder in whatever animal you buy. If the pet shop is happy to give you information on where the hogs have come from and lineage information then thats fair enough, but unlikely to happen in most cases.
If you are buying hogs that have been imported you must ask to see the quarenteen certificate, this includes if you are buying offspring of imported hogs, you should be asking to see proof that the parents have been through quarenteen.
If the hog is imported and has no paper work then you are risking having your pet confiscated.
hope this helps to clarify the situation and anyone who would like more information can contact me through pm or email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

I thought i may aswell enlighten everyone as to why the aph requires quarantine as it has not been pointed out and that is because of a rabies risk which if the disease is present presents itself within the quarantine time frame.
Also with regards to hogs being very ill or doa in Ireland....again it should be pointed out that these hogs are taken away from there parents at 4-5weeks old and imported and all these hogs are from non IHA reconised breeders and from private breeders/pet shops in germany,belgium ect.So if importing or buying imported make sure the hogs have come from a IHA reconised breeder.

it's Nice to be important but more important to be nice
Old 26-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
I thought i may aswell enlighten everyone as to why the aph requires quarantine as it has not been pointed out and that is because of a rabies risk which if the disease is present presents itself within the quarantine time frame.
Also with regards to hogs being very ill or doa in Ireland....again it should be pointed out that these hogs are taken away from there parents at 4-5weeks old and imported and all these hogs are from non IHA reconised breeders and from private breeders/pet shops in germany,belgium ect.So if importing or buying imported make sure the hogs have come from a IHA reconised breeder.
Why even post??

But seeing as you have... I hope you're providing certificates of quaranteen when you sell hoglets from your imported hogs, because it was actually me that was enquiring with kennels about importing legally, when one particular kennels in Essex told me she'd already had an enquiry about hogs and then been told by the lady that Defra had told her she didn't need to do it (funny enough, Defra are adamant that they would not have told someone that!)... the name I ran by her happened to be yours and lo and behold, she recognised it as the lady that she had spoken to!!

So I assume that you must of used another kennels and will of course be providing certificates so that your customers aren't faced with the possibility of losing their pets!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Have you even bothered to see my other post nose ointment

Old 26-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Yes OF COURSE numpty i will be providing the necessary paperwork...

Old 26-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Ultra Citizen

and i do not see my potential hog purchasers as "CUSTOMERS" as i do not have so little regard for my hoglets...The people/breeders i will be selling to will be trusted hedgie friends/owners/breeders

Old 26-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Forum Citizen

I wouldn't throw too many insults around.. it's funny how with all newspaper articles and posts on forums all over the place go on about the expense of your kennel costs (including the for sale ad you briefly posted here stating that they were in kennels) and yet the quaranteen kennels state that you told them you didn't need to quaranteen so wouldn't be doing so... she pointed me back to Defra to query it which of course I did and they state that ALL hogs must be quaranteened on being brought into the country!

So naturally, when you post about the need to quaranteen because of rabies, I will ask whether you are actually gonna give prospective owners the proof they require to prevent them losing their pets!!
Old 26-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

And i have anserwed your questionso now what?????

Old 26-08-2008, 03:39 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Twiisted

Didnt realise that even Hedgehogs had 'politics'

Old 26-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Maybe you should think harder on your approach and respect to people if you want to avoid insults....

Closed Thread