bad experience with Dom (skunk) a warning to other skunk owners - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 28-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Postaholic Member
Default bad experience with Dom (skunk) a warning to other skunk owners

i have ummd and arrrrd about postin about this as i know i will probably get some people givin me jip about it but i feel that it may help other skunk owners so im goin to post about it anyway

as some will know we have had a lot of housing issues with Domino lately, he managed to get out his cage and get out the cat flap in the early hours of the morning but luckily we caught him in next doors garden. We then made a temporary pen for him and double baby gated the door, locked the cat flap and put a guard over it to ensure he couldnt mess with the lock. 2 nights went by with him not escaping the pen and we thought we had cracked it but then he figured out how to get over and managed to get into the hall way. So we put a number of pieces of wood between the gates and wedged it so that he couldnt get through the gate. This worked for one night then when i came downstairs this morning i found the back door open but the wood still where i put it last night, i thought ditta had been down to let the dogs out. When i got into the kitchen i found Dom was nowhere to be found. Upon lookin at the wood he had chewed the whole corner off and got out through that. I asked ditta if she had been down n opened the back door she said no......so i started to panick then thinkin we had been burgled, but the back door is broken and cannot be opened from the outside only the inside, so it looks like Dom has climbed up the guard and opened, yes OPENED the back door!!!! i was mortified that he was gone, we searched the garden and surrounding areas and a neighbour said he had seen him about 6 am in his garden. I was absolutely adament he was gone but we went upstairs to get dressed to go out and look and Ditta had a voicemail.....it was the rspca askin to ring them. i rung and they had found him on the estate near the school. Now although i dont have the best opinion of the rspca they have been brilliant about it. They did ask if i had a license to keep him to which i had to explain i didnt need one. Anyway they brought him back, came and had a look round and as all was well gave him back.

Upon discussion, the inspector says its always a panick when they find animals like skunks as they do not have the license to board them overnight so need to find alternative places that do, apparently they need a zoo license, and if they cannot find places for them on the day they find them then they have no other option than to put them to sleep. Apparently a lot of skunks are being dumped in the lake district recently due to people not wanting them because of the descenting laws. I said i would happily take in any found dumped as i know i would be able to find them suitable homes or at least we have knowledgable people on here who would help out. its better than havin them pts. He said though we can keep them as pets we would have to have a license should the rspca want them to board with us. He said with the house the way it is atm still not being fully restored after the fire it wouldnt be possible but he will come back in january and see the house again then and if it is restored and suitable we can look into becoming boarders for the exotics that the rspca find, though we will need the appropriate license for this, so will have to meet certain standards, which the inspector said he will discuss this with us.

anyway the whole warning thing is that if you have a new skunk please be aware that they are capable of anything!! even i couldnt have got through the baracade we put up at the kitchen gate so it shows how intelligent these animals are!!! be sure the place you have your skunk at night is totally secure. We have been out to buy hinges and a bolt and will be puttin one of the fire damaged doors up until we can build the door we want there, we are currently toyin with ideas for the most suitable and skunk proof to use!!! also please please please get your skunk micro chipped! the inspector immediately panicked when they found him n the young girl suggested scannin him, n luckily we had him chipped as soon as we got him.

so, whoever wishes to comment may do, and i do expect some to come on readin me the riot act, but im postin this to help people and give them info they may not have, that skunks can open doors!!!!! people who have met me and seen me with Dom will know that my care for him is second to none and i love him and wouldnt do anything to jepoardise his comfort happiness or safety.

Dom has been checked over by the rspca vet, and will be going to our vet tomorrow for a check up just to mae sure, though he is sleepin atm as he has had quite a wander!!!
Advertisement

Old 28-11-2008, 06:55 PM
5 Star Member

Glad you got him back Cat. I've got to say, he sounds a proper handful!

Jo

RFUK member number 4967

Old 28-11-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to MSL

DOn't know why anyone would give you a hard time sounds like you have done evrything you could...........
glad you got him back safe and sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfluff View Post
Glad you got him back Cat. I've got to say, he sounds a proper handful!

Jo
he had a pain in his arse before, now hes become a pain in mine!
Premier Citizen

Firsty I dont think you have done anything wong
I think thats very nice of you to post that and hope you dont get any jip as you dont deserve to. When we got our first skunk Pepe he was used to being caged at night as that whats his previous owners had done. Not being quite sure what to keep him in at night we thought we were being very clever we went and got a large dog crate with small gaps in it. The first two nights were fine he stayed in there no problem. The third night he worked out that he could get out the crate by squeezeing through a small gap at the bottom inbetween the pull out tray and sides. Thankfully we are lucky enough to have bedroom we could leave him loose in.
When we got moose she was unwell so the vet advised as to keep her away from Pepe. Not having another skunk proof room we kept Moose in a large indoor rabbit cage till she worked out she could lift the side. Thinking we were being more clever this time we went and got one of the cloth dog crates. It took one night for the little to work out she undo the zips from the inside. In the end we had to put her in with Pepe. When we got daisy we didnt bother and skunk proofed the bathroom and thats where she will stay till shemixes with the others.

We did find however that you can padlock the zips on the cloth crate together and that seems to work quite well.

Old 28-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Ultra Citizen

This may be a really stupid question but was the door locked?

I can't relax without checking the doors are locked a billion times before going to bed.
Old 28-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
DOn't know why anyone would give you a hard time sounds like you have done evrything you could...........
glad you got him back safe and sound.
well i wouldnt put it past a few people

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs3ae View Post
Firsty I dont think you have done anything wong
I think thats very nice of you to post that and hope you dont get any jip as you dont deserve to. When we got our first skunk Pepe he was used to being caged at night as that whats his previous owners had done. Not being quite sure what to keep him in at night we thought we were being very clever we went and got a large dog crate with small gaps in it. The first two nights were fine he stayed in there no problem. The third night he worked out that he could get out the crate by squeezeing through a small gap at the bottom inbetween the pull out tray and sides. Thankfully we are lucky enough to have bedroom we could leave him loose in.
When we got moose she was unwell so the vet advised as to keep her away from Pepe. Not having another skunk proof room we kept Moose in a large indoor rabbit cage till she worked out she could lift the side. Thinking we were being more clever this time we went and got one of the cloth dog crates. It took one night for the little to work out she undo the zips from the inside. In the end we had to put her in with Pepe. When we got daisy we didnt bother and skunk proofed the bathroom and thats where she will stay till shemixes with the others.

We did find however that you can padlock the zips on the cloth crate together and that seems to work quite well.
i think Domino was housed outside with other skunks so may not be used to bein in a cage. Hes been fine in his cage for about 5 weeks until one day he discovers how to pull the side off n bam! he does it every time!! i just feel exhausted by him and im definately not havin children!!!! not if this is anythin to go by
Dom is a good chewer as we have found out, so i dunno if the material dog crates would work even with the zip locked. im just amazed he opened the door, we really have to yank down on the handle to open it so it shows he is strong!!!!

thanks for support btw guys. Despite puttin the door up tongiht with a bolt on it ill probably set up camp for the night on the stairs to see if he can get through the door!! cos after this last escapade i wouldnt put anything past him!! gunna put the door on upside down i think so he cant even pull on the handle! the house is gunna be like a padded cell soon!
Old 28-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Premier Citizen

They little buggers arent they I think Moose has aged me by about ten years. We had nothing but problems when we first got her due her being poorly but I wouldnt be without her now. Some how I think having children would be less stressful.

Old 28-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enola69 View Post
This may be a really stupid question but was the door locked?

I can't relax without checking the doors are locked a billion times before going to bed.

ive posted in the op havent i? lol the back door is broken and when its shut it doesnt open from the outside, only from the inside, so it cant be locked
Old 28-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

sorry only scanned it quickly.

I'd hate that so much!! I think i have a bit of OCD when it comes to locking doors.

Did not realise rspca has to put them down that quickly - thats awful.