decline of british songbirds - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to sandmatt

Our cat used to bring birds home all the time. We put a bright silver collar on her with a bell, thus she hasnt bought any home since..

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassy 1019 View Post
dogs eating songbirds? r u stupied?
Yes, clearly "stupied".

Old 12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassy 1019 View Post
i think cats are the answer, killing 53 million song birds each year. yet we are in abundance with rats. so why are the cats not eating the rats? would love to hear some views on this please.
But again like i said the mink is now just in the place of the polecat & otter.So wildlife has evoled with such a speices.Again the scottish wild cat USE to be found though out the UK.So once again are wildlife has evoled with a cat speices and know the deal.There are meny,meny factors for song bird decline and once again it us-(humans).Wildlife unfriendly farms is the number one reason not cats.Wildlife unfriendly farms take there food and there nesting sites.Coz hedgerows are not what they was.Farm are far to neat and clinical these days just how humans like it.Wheather is a nother factor birds species are staying put in countrys.Or by passing places they use to go all together.
Snow SPLIT Super snow = (Mack).
[1C]Snow,[2C]Snow = (TUG,GEM).
Tinted = (False eclipse).
Hyper aberrant = (Jungle).
Tremper albino = (Talbino).
Bell albino = (Balbino).
Rainwater albino = (Ralbino).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsilon View Post
Yes, clearly "stupied".

SSSSOO you took pictures of it....LOL, Christ you people are strange.

Did the dog climb up a tree and grab it
Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Forum Citizen
Default birds

amalthea,4 ur info rats r rodents. all carnivious animals kill things, so how come u never came to the rescue of the other thread about mink? as soon as some body says some think about ur presious cats, every body is up in arms, r cats native to the uk? no they r a foreign species. ipsilon as 4 the pic, that dog did not catch that bird, look how old he is, no way, he came across it. nice try.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Yahoo to Amalthea

I am not stupid. I know rats are rodents. But it's also not the ONLY rodent. By saying "rodent", do you think maybe I was using a broader term, because it wasn't only rats he brought home? Hmm... The mink thread is just as bad. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think any animal can be held accountable for it's actions.

Interested in sugar gliders? Join www.sugar-glider.co.uk!! It's a wonderful UK based glider forum full of loads of info and a great group of people willing to answer any question you may come up with

Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Skype™ to Ssthisto

And to be honest, even if cats DO kill some songbirds, I really honestly do think it's how humans manage land that causes the most damage.

"My bum has been a bum for a very long time, but that does n't mean I have to listen to what it says."
- Terry Pratchett, Fifth Elephant

Member 1603
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssthisto View Post
And to be honest, even if cats DO kill some songbirds, I really honestly do think it's how humans manage land that causes the most damage.
and don't forget those tree climbing dogs...

stinglestick likes this.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

Yeah, I took a lot of photos of the dog that day. I often do this because he's a family pet and I like to have photographs of the family pets. It's no worse than people taking photos of their snake eating and there's nothing strange about it! It so happened that he was so chuffed with his bird that he didn't put it down all day - it went everywhere with him.

What can you tell about the age of the dog from two blurry pictures anyway?

As for this "did the dog climb up the tree and kill it" nonsense, are you seriously trying to say that birds never leave trees and forage around on the ground? Don't be ridiculous. You just don't want to admit that a dog could catch and kill a bird when it is in fact entirely possible for that to happen.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via Yahoo to Amalthea

And here's another little tidbit of info for you... Since you say that my cat MUST have decimated the local wildlife, I bet you'd be surprised to here that since he's been gone, the number of birds people have been getting in their gardens around here has dwindled to nearly nothing. No, I'm not suggesting that Chester's presence made the birds hang around (I figured I should include that, since you seem to want to question my intelligence), but it must be something else entirely since Chester was the THE tom cat of the area. Now, hmm... What COULD it be?

Interested in sugar gliders? Join www.sugar-glider.co.uk!! It's a wonderful UK based glider forum full of loads of info and a great group of people willing to answer any question you may come up with

Closed Thread