Puppy house training at night advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
RFUK Premium Membership
Red face Puppy house training at night advice

As you know i have recently had a beagle puppy called Bella (who is currently trying to steal melon out of the bird cage lol). I'm having a bit of trouble with housetraining her anyway, but night is becoming a particular problem as i don't hear her when she needs to go, so she just goes in her crate. She never poos, just pees. But then she sleeps on it and stinks in the morning!

I bought an adult sized crate and i dont have a divider, would this help solve the problem, or should i consider putting newspaper on one half of the crate? How do i train her out of using the newspaper over time if i do this?

Here's a few recent pix of her and the foster cat telling her off lol

Thanks xx

Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Premier Member

you need to make the crate smaller
Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Pets are a luxury!!!
Send a message via AIM to Shell195

make sure only half the crate has bedding in it and the other half has newspaper. The older they get the more bladder control they have. Most puppies take a long time to housetrain especially overnight. My 14 month old Rottie refuses to use the dog flap in the rain when its dark and would rather wee in the house, we just ignore it, clean it up and praise him when he goes outside

ZAK MY GREEK DOG

WOODLANDS ANIMAL SANCTUARY
(also Registered hedgehog carers)
http://www.animalsanctuary.org.uk/
W.A.S. Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=97503031607

AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOG RESCUE
http://www.homelesshogs.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Hatchling

I've raised 4 pups. As above, i would make the crate smaller, and set your alarm to get up at least once in the night to let her out for a pee. Then she'll get used to the crate being her kennel and as her bladder gets stronger she'll wait to be let out before she goes

cute pup btw
Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by white View Post
you need to make the crate smaller
The only thing with this is im pretty sure she'd just wee anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell195 View Post
make sure only half the crate has bedding in it and the other half has newspaper. The older they get the more bladder control they have. Most puppies take a long time to housetrain especially overnight. My 14 month old Rottie refuses to use the dog flap in the rain when its dark and would rather wee in the house, we just ignore it, clean it up and praise him when he goes outside
aww bless! poor little rottie lol. Right, i will try that. Will she eventually just learn to not go on her own then? xx
Old 09-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Premier Member

if she is only little she may not physically be able to hold her bladder all night long. What time do you take her out last thing> Do you stay with her to make sure she goes? What time do you lift her water?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKS View Post
I've raised 4 pups. As above, i would make the crate smaller, and set your alarm to get up at least once in the night to let her out for a pee. Then she'll get used to the crate being her kennel and as her bladder gets stronger she'll wait to be let out before she goes

cute pup btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwoman View Post
if she is only little she may not physically be able to hold her bladder all night long. What time do you take her out last thing> Do you stay with her to make sure she goes? What time do you lift her water?
We don't go bed until about 12 so around then is the last time she goes out, and then we are up at about 8/9. We take her water up at around 8pm, just doing what i read in my puppy books, is that about right? Should i get up pretty much in the middle of the night ie around 4? wont this encourage her to get up in the middle of the night though? xx
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bampoisongirl View Post
We don't go bed until about 12 so around then is the last time she goes out, and then we are up at about 8/9. We take her water up at around 8pm, just doing what i read in my puppy books, is that about right? Should i get up pretty much in the middle of the night ie around 4? wont this encourage her to get up in the middle of the night though? xx
Sounds all right. Perhaps she just can't hold it all night yet?
Personally, I think I'd be inclined to leave her loose with some newspaper. It has to be easier to pick up wet paper than it is to wash bedding out every night. Try the cage again when she is a little older.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwoman View Post
Sounds all right. Perhaps she just can't hold it all night yet?
Personally, I think I'd be inclined to leave her loose with some newspaper. It has to be easier to pick up wet paper than it is to wash bedding out every night. Try the cage again when she is a little older.
yes it is an absolute pain, not to mention the dog needs washing too! dont want to bath her too many times but she smells soo bad!

Any reason why you would leave her lose with paper rather than in the crate? xx
Old 09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bampoisongirl View Post
yes it is an absolute pain, not to mention the dog needs washing too! dont want to bath her too many times but she smells soo bad!

Any reason why you would leave her lose with paper rather than in the crate? xx
Sorry I assumed that the crate wasn't big enough for her to get out of the bed and move away for it. Ideally, you want to emphasise getting right away from the bed to toilet and having paper and leaving her loose will enable this to be reinforced. Then when she is older, and you put her in the crate, it will be firm in her mind not to wee in the bed.

Crates can be useful as a training aid. I personally hate them. Never used one, had loads of puppies and they all get clean in the end. But some breeds take longer. Young puppies are no more able to control themselves than a 12 month old baby in nappies can. I think that people sometimes forget this and expect too much from them.
I'm all for the easy option and if newspaper is the easy option, I'd go for that.
If you have hard flooring, it's no biggie to clean up is it?

Tags
howe