Saw an Amazing Sparrowhawk - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Citizen
Reviews: 2
Default Saw an Amazing Sparrowhawk

Hi, Yesterday i went to my parents house, and my dad was saying that he had seen a sparrowhawk twice in the previous week, and he saw it get a sparrow yesterday morning..
A little while later, I heard a screech, And when we looked we saw She (sparrowhawk) had come back and not only had she caught another sparrow, but she chose to sit on the patio wall, and pluck it!... i wish i could get photos..
It was amazing (not for the sparrow!) The sheer speed and agility in the air!, and she was only probably 20' away from us.. I looked on net about colouration and as she was large and brown she was a female!.. Thought i would share!!

Kelly & Her Spikey Friends

www.facebook.com/medwayhedgehogrescue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Regular

We got a spar a few weeks ago in the garden, it left me some feathers and 2 pigeon feet!! They are so quick. Its nice to hear some one appreicate them, we get asked all the time how to stop them coming into the garden
Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
We got a spar a few weeks ago in the garden, it left me some feathers and 2 pigeon feet!! They are so quick. Its nice to hear some one appreicate them, we get asked all the time how to stop them coming into the garden
That's easy enough, stop attracting their dinner!

I love sparrowhawks, there is a pair around here and where I used to live a pair used to visit regularly because we fed the birds and that made a good hunting ground for the hawk. Never saw either make a kill though the results were sometimes left on the lawn and I saw them on a couple of kills, plus nearly had a collision with them as they came racing along the side of the house to make a dash on the feeders. Saw the male make a failed attack on a goldfinch, but the finch just closed his wings and dropped like a stone for 4 feet as the hawk went in for the kill and so the finch escaped and the hawk lost his dinner. The female stopped visiting our garden for ages though and I wondered what had happened to her until I spotted a female sparrowhawk in the town centre chasing the pigeons! Saw her hanging around the centre a number of times even on market day! I think she made a bit of a dent in the numbers of sickly pigeons that were around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Super Citizen

Does anyone know about their range.. as in where they would have their nest.. I spoke to my dad and apparantly its been a regular visitor for quite a while now, and he was trying to work out where they would nest.. My parents live on the outskirts of a town, They are literally the last house, then there are loads and loads of farmers fields.. There is no Woods close by.. I was amazed at its huge eyes.. i had the binoculars out looking at her plucking.. And she didnt eat the sparrow in garden, she sat on a low wall, plucked it then flew off.. is it too late for her to have babies?..

Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Regular

Its back end of breeding season so most likely if she has any young they are either already gone or about to fledge. Spars will genrally nest in trees but she will roost anywher if she has no young. We have had our fisrt baby spar casulty in in 20 years a couple of weeks ago. Its a musket by the looks of it. he should be ready to go soon.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Citizen

OMG!.. he is beautiful!... Love the barring on their chests... Will you take photos when you let him go?... If so i would love to see them!..
Our native birds of prey are stunning.. i must admit ive gone a bit bird crazy since i saw her!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Super Regular

plan to take picks but I am pretty useless at that bit and usually miss or just get a blur, unfortunatly you only get one chance and spars are so quick!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith1976 View Post
Does anyone know about their range.. as in where they would have their nest.. I spoke to my dad and apparantly its been a regular visitor for quite a while now, and he was trying to work out where they would nest.. My parents live on the outskirts of a town, They are literally the last house, then there are loads and loads of farmers fields.. There is no Woods close by.. I was amazed at its huge eyes.. i had the binoculars out looking at her plucking.. And she didnt eat the sparrow in garden, she sat on a low wall, plucked it then flew off.. is it too late for her to have babies?..
It depends on food availability as to how big their ranges are. They can have a territory anywhere between 0.5km to 2km+ so you could have a large area to search. They do tend to nest in trees so a small patch of trees would be your best bet, though I doubt they will be there now. She could still be feeding fledglings though they will probably have left the nest by now, or something disturbed her and she took her meal to eat elsewhere.