Dog training advice - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 30-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo-Man View Post
Its worked for my dogs
Clicking a clicker and getting a sucessful recall doesn't automatically mean the dog is clicker trained to recall. It means you must be doing other things right and the clicker is neither here nor there. To clicker train you click when the dog is doing what you want it to do - not after its done it. So it might seem as though your dog is clicker trained to recall but it actually isn't - it's clicker trained to be at your feet which it can do without doing a recall. If I went and stood next to my dog now and clicked - it would be clicked for being at my feet - no recall involved.
If I clicked my dog for moving towards me, I would be clicking for the recall and nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 03:11 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Clicking a clicker and getting a sucessful recall doesn't automatically mean the dog is clicker trained to recall. It means you must be doing other things right and the clicker is neither here nor there. To clicker train you click when the dog is doing what you want it to do - not after its done it. So it might seem as though your dog is clicker trained to recall but it actually isn't - it's clicker trained to be at your feet which it can do without doing a recall. If I went and stood next to my dog now and clicked - it would be clicked for being at my feet - no recall involved.
If I clicked my dog for moving towards me, I would be clicking for the recall and nothing else.
Good point!

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!
Old 30-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo-Man View Post
Good point!
Thank you - clicker training is quite complicated and is often rubbished by those who have a go at it and fail through lack of understanding of exactly how it works so I just wanted to get my point across - nothing more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2009, 03:22 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Thank you - clicker training is quite complicated and is often rubbished by those who have a go at it and fail through lack of understanding of exactly how it works so I just wanted to get my point across - nothing more.
No probs

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!
Old 30-08-2009, 05:24 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to gwinni

Alot of that sounds familiar, apart from the aggressivness. My staff x collie sounds the same in alot of ways, i was lucky to have got him at 10weeks rather than 6months though. You've done great for only having him for 4 weeks! Bailey is almost 4years old now and has calmed down a fair bit apart from when he meets other dogs he does the nibbly bitey thing and also snogs other dogs, he's been grabbed by the throat and still tried to lick and play with the dog that had a hold of him! I look after a JRTx (she's 12) occasionally and he won't leave her alone and ignores her telling him off so i tell him to leave her alone before she tries to rip the face off him, jack on the other hand he listens to but i think that's coz they've been together for so long now. It will take time for ninja to catch onto what your teaching him. I found repatition was the way with bailey, he's great in the house but a total nightmare when were out. Stick with it and you'll both get there eventually it'll be frustrating as hell but worth it

RIP BAILEY & JACK
Old 31-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Egg

GO TO PUPPY CLASSES aka dog training classes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they work really well!!!!!!!!with the recall, sit, stay, etc
about the biting ur other dog, my dog gets pestered by a little dog we somtimes look after, too.like you said, ur dog sometimes gets fed up with ninja, and attacks him, i let my dog attack th puppy,(he doesnt hurt him though, mostly its just snarling, and he pins him to the ground lol)to establish dominance lol. i just cant seem to get the puppy to top biting tho
about the chewing, well, my dog is a labrador, one of the worst chewers there is lol when he was a puppy he ate the wallpaper and everything!!!!! we kept him in just one room, and took all the stuff out of it. he learneed to stop chewin when we shouted at him lol.
sorry, i dont know what to say about the cat problem. my dog is scared of cats, met one which scratched him when he was a puppy!