Any Puppy House Training Advice - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 28-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Any Puppy House Training Advice

OK so complicated story, my mum adopted an unwanted puppy from someone i know decided they wanted a puppy didn't want to look after the puppy so wanted to get a dog instead dumped the puppy on the daughter who left it at grans house and long to short my mum agreed to take it from her as she had been after a pup herself,
after a good well needed bath well needed flea and worm treatment the pup has become a happy healthy member of the family, pup is 3 months old now and was acquired by the family we got her from at 8weeks shes a collie/springer cross

this is Bella

Bella has a slight problem with going to the bathroom, she just cannot seem to grasp the concept of going outside, either that or mum feels she may be afraid to do it in front of her as maybe she has been shouted at for it,
mum puts the dogs out in the garden tells them to go and waits until they have done what they need to do then praises them and calls them back in, this concept works without a problem,
in the puppies case she will come into the house and go into an unwatched room and do it there after being outside,
mum is finding it difficult to come up with a solution to trying to train her to go outside

anyone any tips mum could try to help Bella along?
Each person has his own unique abilities... There is no need to look down on other people just because you ~think~ that you are better than them... You may excel in some aspects but there will always be someone better than you... Nothing wrong with being proud of what you are but there is no need to be boastful nor to be condescending to others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Regular

She could try paper training her instead - get her to go on paper then gradually move it until the paper is outside. There is also a weird toilet thing you can get called a Ugodog (I won one in a competition once but have never used it!) It like an indoor toilet, a tray with a mesh thing on top and it catches the wee so your carpets aren't ruined!
Old 28-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Forum Citizen

that sounds weird lol, i know the pup will go on the paper they tried to by the training pads and get her to use them frequently and move them without success, they are trying cage training that isn't working it has gotten to the point of having to put her on a lead and tie her to something in the room they are in to stop her from running to another room in the house and doing her business and to stay by the training pads and the cage but she holds it untill she gets the chance to go into an unoccupied room
Each person has his own unique abilities... There is no need to look down on other people just because you ~think~ that you are better than them... You may excel in some aspects but there will always be someone better than you... Nothing wrong with being proud of what you are but there is no need to be boastful nor to be condescending to others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-10-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Antw23uk

Paper training isnt ideal now because she already associates outside with going to the toilet.
Your not crate training properly. She needs to be in the crate whilst unsupervised and stopped from going to any other room. As soon as she comes out of the crate she must go outside for a wee and then be quietly praised for it (being too excited by praise she wont get what she has done, she will just be too excited by all the 'love'

Once she has weed she needs to be either crated again or kept in the same room. Follow as above (boring i know but needed) and you should resolve said issue pretty quickly.

If she gets into a room on her own and wees you must IGNORE the bad behaviour. Ignore bad behaviour and PRAISE good ... thats the mantra to follow

BEFORE YOU POST A REPLY IN THE CLASSIFIED .... LOOK AT THE DATE IT WAS POSTED!!!!!
Old 28-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 2

I agree with Ant...

She can and will go outside, so why reverse that idea back to going to the toliet inside?

Is your mum around all day? If so, I would suggest she take the pup out every hour on the hour.

I house trained my mutt in one week from 8 weeks old. He used the pads maybe 10 times or so in that week, but for the majority we took him out every single hour and lavished him with praise for going outside. Since 9 weeks of age he has NEVER had an accident inside.

Charlie is also crate trained. The most important thing to remember is a dog will not want to soil his or her bedding, so they generally will not have an accident in the crate. You must however, take the dog outside immediatley after they are allowed out of the crate. So that they associate the crate with oh ok my space, I won't pee here. And they associate coming out of the crate with oh ok, time to go outside to the toilet! Structure and sensible routine are paramount in crate and house training any dog.

Another helpful hint to house training would be to watch their exact behaviours just before they do the toilet. For some dogs intense sniffing and circling of one area is a sign they need to poop. If you see any of these "toilet associated" behavious, drop what you are doing, grab the dog and get her ouside to pee or poop asap!

The worst possible thing your mum could do is shout at her or get angry if she has an accident in the house. This will only reinforce the behaviour with shame on the dogs part. Thus why she is running to a different room... Try to clean up the mess without the dog watching, put her in a different room or a crate whilst you clean up quietly without making any fuss of the dog be it positive or negative.

BTW Sprollies are wonderful bouncy wee things. Charlie's "girlfriend" is a wee sprollie named Lola. She literally bounces off the walls... High energy wee dogs indeed.

See what I see... Support a not so starving artist!

Last edited by Montage_Morphs; 28-10-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Old 28-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Gold Star Member

House training should be fairly simple if your mum sticks to the routine. At her age she wont have full bladder control so accidents will happen, I'd say let her out every half an hour or an hour, and stay outside til she does something. Praise, then bring her back in. If she has an accident inside, clean it up without saying anything - no shouting or complaining or even muttering under your breath LOL. Let her out after every meal, before she goes to sleep, and as soon as she wakes up from a sleep (whether that's through the night or a nap through the day - it's a common time for needing to go!).

Bringing her back in before she's done anything wont teach her to go outside. It'll just teach the pup that if she can hold on long enough, mum will bring her back in so she can pee inside. Paper training is not a good idea at all - it's the number one way to confuse a pup even more, and it'll increase the time it takes to train her. Plus you'll never be able to have a newspaper, book or magazine on the floor again without it becoming an indoor toilet - paper training is not recommended any more because it's just lacking in any common sense.

Crate training would be good for through the night or for short periods through the day (eg if mum needs to nip to the shop - an hour or so max). You need to introduce the crate to her slowly though - you cant just put her in and hope she's ok - she needs to learn it's a safe cosey nest for her, rather than a punishment. If you google "crate training" you'll find lots of articles on how to do this - it's a slow introduction but will help immensely.

Remember she's only a pup though - dont expect miracles. Most dogs will be house trained by 6-8 months - but even then it's something you have to work on - and some dogs will have lapses in times of stress or when they're poorly.

Good luck with her - she's a cross that will certainly keep you on your toes for a couple of hours a day at least - collies and their crosses can be lovely pets but they're certainly hard work, and much prefer a home who can work both their mind and body (eg a true working home or one who are willing to do lots of obedience and agility). They're not a sit by the fire kind of dog - so hope you're up for plenty of walks and some new hobbies!

Bohemian Stud - breeding marked rats for pet/show.
Old 28-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Forum Citizen

mum has trained dogs and puppies before as we have had them all my life and the methods described so far are the ones she uses, these methods are not working with Bella that is why i have asked for some help,

she stays in her crate or like i said in the same room as mum all day and night mum doesn't let the dogs just wander freely around the house she keeps them with her, lets them out once every hour as her other dog is a shih tzu so only has a small bladder herself, any time the pup soils in the house it is cleaned up without a fuss and the pup is ignored for doing it,

speaking to mum earlier Bella was in her cage while mum did the house work, she took Bella out of the cage and placed her in the garden, they were in the garden for half an hour and Bella did nothing mum brought her back in thinking she didn't need to go after so long as soon as she was brought back into the house she ran out of the room as mum tried to cage her and soiled in a different room,

mum caged her and cleaned it up,it has happened three times since the pup just will not go in the garden, i asked about paper and mum said it is no use as the pup will not go in front of anyone,

mum feels she may have been shouted at or smacked for going in front of someone and that it why she won't do it,

mum said she seems to be hiding it, having never had a dog with this problem before it is proving difficult,

i'm mainly hoping for way's to possibly change the habit of her hiding when she goes to being able to do it freely in front of someone in the garden, but its difficult to be able to praise her for doing it in front of her in the garden when the pup just will not go if someone is watching
Old 28-10-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Antw23uk

Ouch that hurt ... sorry i didnt mean to offend

I had wrote a whole reply but thought sod it, falling on deaf ears..

Good luck with the puppy

BEFORE YOU POST A REPLY IN THE CLASSIFIED .... LOOK AT THE DATE IT WAS POSTED!!!!!
Old 28-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 1

Puppies young or old if something is lacking go back tot he start and do it again.

Put the dog outside frequently more so after naps and food and drink and more importantly first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

Stand outside with the dog for a good 10 mins and avoid eye contact. Whent he dog does ANYTHING toilet related outside go nuts and strke kiss and play with the puppy perhaos have treats ready something uber nice like cooked sausage or piece of cheese.

If the dog does anything in the house avoid eye contact DONT say a word pick up the dog and remove to an outside area stay with the dog a short while repeat step one. LEAVING the dog outside go inside and clean up the mess using a special cleaner to remove all traces of odour. Washing power in a spray bottle should do the job also add a capful of bleach and it will have anti germ abilities too.
Let dog in and carry on.
Should work in a week.
Marina
Old 28-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemificus View Post
OK so complicated story, my mum adopted an unwanted puppy from someone i know decided they wanted a puppy didn't want to look after the puppy so wanted to get a dog instead dumped the puppy on the daughter who left it at grans house and long to short my mum agreed to take it from her as she had been after a pup herself,
after a good well needed bath well needed flea and worm treatment the pup has become a happy healthy member of the family, pup is 3 months old now and was acquired by the family we got her from at 8weeks shes a collie/springer cross

this is Bella

Bella has a slight problem with going to the bathroom, she just cannot seem to grasp the concept of going outside, either that or mum feels she may be afraid to do it in front of her as maybe she has been shouted at for it,
mum puts the dogs out in the garden tells them to go and waits until they have done what they need to do then praises them and calls them back in, this concept works without a problem,
in the puppies case she will come into the house and go into an unwatched room and do it there after being outside,
mum is finding it difficult to come up with a solution to trying to train her to go outside

anyone any tips mum could try to help Bella along?
Your mum needs to take her out (not put her out) every single hour and in between if she starts looking about for somewhere to go.
Whatever she does she should not paper train her though as this will only confuse her as she will think it's ok to go indoors. Dogs cannot differentiate between going in the house being bad and going in the house, but on paper, being good.
If she's only 12 weeks and your mum has only just got her, she won't know which end is up at the moment poor thing. She left her breeder to go to one place, then from there to your mum, where she was then taken to the vet for flea and wormer and vaccinations, then back to your mum's house. Give her time to feel her feet and start to understand things and she'll pick it up. At 12 weeks she may not yet be 100% in control of bladder and bowels in any case. Praise outside toilets, but just ignore anything found in the house. Of course if she catches her going she should pick her up and take her outside to finish it, then praise her. If she goes into empty rooms to toilet, simply close doors. If your mum is with her all day long in the same room, she'll be able to pick up clues as to when she needs to go, and take her outside right away.