dont breed and buy whilst others die. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthaMoo View Post
My new girl...

Six years old and has spent most of her life shut in a shed on a farm in Wales being bred from.
Even after nearly three months of being here she is still petrified of everything. Especially men. And still she hasnt left the house or garden, the big wide world is too much for her to cope with.
And why? Because people want cute yellow fluffy retriever pups. And whilst people buy them, dogs like Bonnie will continue to suffer.

And please dont think you need to go to the farm in Wales to buy one of these pups. You dont ever get to see the farm. These dogs are shipped out to puppy shops up north, pet shops, even individual people selling them from there own home pretending there from there own dogs.

I have five rescue dogs and will always continue to have rescue dogs.

Maybe we can't stop breeding. But people seriously need to put more thought into where and who they are getting there dogs from. I dont understand how people can see an add, turn up and buy a pup without knowing anything about the person breeding the dogs or the dogs and there health and welfare. So whilst people continue to buy from back yard breeders dogs will die. And I personally wont be part of that.
this is what i agree with. most people wouldnt buy a car/house/ whatever without knowing its history, so why would they buy a dog without knowin anything about it...... not sayin dogs are like cars but you know what i mean......

like i said, i think a lot of the time its the people that buy the animals that need sterilising, and not the actual animals i dont have a very high opinion of human life atm can you tell? :p
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Regular

Just wondering but why would sterilising a person prevent them from buying an animal? (just a small flaw in your plan)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to marthaMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovu07 View Post
Hugs Bonnie, that is such a sad story, but unfortunately not an uncommon one
Nope, I have a house full of dogs with Stories.

And Bonnie was sent here for me to fix as I have a very quiet home, time and love. She wouldnt be able to cope in a normal house at all. But honestly, I don't think I will ever be able to properly fix her, her mental scars are too deep. But I will love her and understand her for the rest of her life, unconditionally.

Also worked in rescue for a few years, so have seen and heard most things.

There are thousands of Bonnies all sat in farms now, from small breeds to large. And they will continue to sit there and rott whilst people buy there puppies, without any thought.
At least now the sick, old and un useable dogs are now given to rescue instead of being culled.

What I would like to see (as no one will ever agree to a breeding ban) All puppies chiped, tattooed and registered to the breeder and the breeder to be made responsible for those pups/dogs for there entire life. Which means taking them back when they are no longer wanted or dumped.
feorag, Corsetts and miss_ferret like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABU View Post
your market is smaller than there...

i can sell a reptile very quickly...

kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists.

the pet shop up the street has a sell on ball pythons... $50 bucks a pop...

it's hard to imagine that you can get snakes and lizards at the spca there... here it's almost all dogs and cats...

rarely anything else...

it's impulse buyers that are the problem... not breeders...

people just lose interest or find that there's more to keeping something than they thought...

sad but true...
our version of your spca, is the rspca i think, which in my opinion are crueler and have less knowledge of animals than the dumb asses randomly buyin animals and gettin rid of them. dont get me wrong, i have rehomed animals, but i have usually always known the people i have rehomed to and tried to avoid having animals go to shelters at all costs.
what i am refering to habu is that in the uk we have a lot of independant rescues (as well as dog homes) sanctuaries etc that have various animals in

and ive already said i agree its the buyers not the breeders, so thats something we definately agree on. ive bred animals in the past, mainly for the joy of it and the want to improve the quality of animals in circulation, but no matter how much you try and vet all owners, some slip through the net n you find youve been taken in by someone who turn out to be horrible people. this is why i dont breed anything anymore, because i feel i cant trust the people who i sell to. on the other hand you get people who will sell to anyone just to get shot of the animal and to make a fast buck
Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthaMoo View Post
What I would like to see (as no one will ever agree to a breeding ban) All puppies chiped, tattooed and registered to the breeder and the breeder to be made responsible for those pups/dogs for there entire life. Which means taking them back when they are no longer wanted or dumped.
That sounds like a very sensible plan, I only wish more people felt it was important.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Just wondering but why would sterilising a person prevent them from buying an animal? (just a small flaw in your plan)

i never said sterilising someone would stop them buyin an animal..... but if if all the f*ckwits and wasters in the world were sterilised then they wouldnt be able to breed and bring more little f*ckwits into the world and the world would on the whole be a better place

most scummy people get together with other scummy people. its like breeding 2 dogs with problems together.... what do you get? offspring that are twice as messed up! and the line continues to just go down hill from there
Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

i've worked in a few petshops...

it'll make you lose your faith in people after you see the kinds of people wanting an animal...

few have a clue... fewer care... even fewer read...

they're hopeless... but you have to stay in business...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Regular

My apologies but you did say 'it's the people who buy the animals that need sterilising', so that is why I asked since sterilising them wouldn't prevent them from buying them.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
My apologies but you did say 'it's the people who buy the animals that need sterilising', so that is why I asked since sterilising them wouldn't prevent them from buying them.
If sterilisation was the punishment it would probably stop them.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
it is the people who buy the animals they later disgard that need sterilising........... so they dont breed more little crettins that learn the same disrespectful disregard for animal life as their parents