old dog - new cats - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
5 Star Member
Default old dog - new cats

After a long discussion with my parents I may be getting 2 4 month old kittens soon but its not been 100% decided yet but I have a couple of questions about getting them before we make a decision about it.

We have an older dog (8 years) and he has always lived with our old cat (who passed away a few months ago) but he has never been around younger cats so we are wary of how to introduce them. He also chases cats in the garden so we are unsure of how he would react to cats being in his house. Has anyone experienced this and can offer advice of how to introduce them.

When is the best age to neuter them? We are getting a boy and a girl and I am not sure I can afford to get them both done in one month so I was thinking about getting the boy done shortly after I get them and then the girl the month later, would that be ok? I have been quoted between £70-80 to get each done. Is this a reasonable amount?

They will be complete house cats, they have grown up as house cats. We dont often leave the back door open but we sometimes do if we are leaving the dog for long periods so I was thinking of locking the cats upstairs so the dog can go in the garden. I am not sure how true this is by the person I am getting them off of has said that some cats just dont want to go out far, their dad rairly goes to the bottom of the garden and the mums never go out but I am not sure if they would do that in a new home? Someone is normally home but we sometimes leave the dog for 3-4 hours on his own.

Sorry about the long post and questions its just I dont remember having a kitten and we have never had a house cat so I am learning all over again about them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to sammy1969 Send a message via Yahoo to sammy1969

I think from personal experience the best time to have a male cat neutured i at 6 months I have five male cats the first 2 were not done till they were over a year old and I suffered from one of them spraying everything in the home and the smell was terrible. The other 3 I had done at 6 months before they started to spray and they are alot more docile and happy in themselves than the other ones.
As for the other thing i a not sure what to say my 2 dogs did not encounter cats till just under 4 years ago when they were both 7years old and one of them was and stillis if not stopped a cat chaser when outside I must admit my cats were all younger than 4 months when they came to live here but with slow introductions using maybe a cage and letting them get to know each other slowly is probably your best bet. The best peopel to ask on here imo are FEorag and Shell in the catchat thread as they are very knowledgeable in mos things cat related.
1.1.0 dogs(mysty and storm)
0.1.0 german giant beardie(Zeus)
0.1.0 bearded dragons (Faith)
0.1.0 Bosc monitor (Hercule
1 tank of tropical fish
1.0.0 Bushy tailed Jirds (Fuzzbutt)

0.7.0 Fancyrats (Blaze,Nibbler,Cleo Patchra)

XTEAM DITTAX/
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Posting Deity

[QUOTE=FallenAngel;9350191]We have an older dog (8 years) and he has always lived with our old cat (who passed away a few months ago) but he has never been around younger cats so we are wary of how to introduce them. He also chases cats in the garden so we are unsure of how he would react to cats being in his house. Has anyone experienced this and can offer advice of how to introduce them.

Our dog was almost 6 when we introduced our first cat, who coincidentally was 4 months old and it worked very well for us. The dog would chase cats if he saw them out on walks and they ran, but then most dogs would. The kitten was very wary of the dog when we first brought it into the house and actually spent the whole time we were in the living room on the back of the settee, growling at the dog, for almost a week before he finally came down onto the floor and went to meet him. After that day they were best friends. When we were out or in bed the kitten was kept in our bedroom and we never left them alone until we were confident they were both comfortable around each other. So basically we left the cat and dog to work it out under supervision until they were both happy around each other.

When is the best age to neuter them? We are getting a boy and a girl and I am not sure I can afford to get them both done in one month so I was thinking about getting the boy done shortly after I get them and then the girl the month later, would that be ok? I have been quoted between £70-80 to get each done. Is this a reasonable amount?

As has been said the best age to neuter is at 6 months, but a few weeks either side of that won't make a huge difference. The main thing, really is to get them neutered before the hormones really kick in - that way they stay kind of 'sexless' pets and don't turn into the driven to mate cat.

They will be complete house cats, they have grown up as house cats. We dont often leave the back door open but we sometimes do if we are leaving the dog for long periods so I was thinking of locking the cats upstairs so the dog can go in the garden. I am not sure how true this is by the person I am getting them off of has said that some cats just dont want to go out far, their dad rairly goes to the bottom of the garden and the mums never go out but I am not sure if they would do that in a new home? Someone is normally home but we sometimes leave the dog for 3-4 hours on his own.

When young, kittens are very adventurous and I doubt very much that, if you open the back door, they will be happy to stay in the garden and will eventually roam further - that is in their nature. If you kept them as housecats and allowed them to go into the garden when they are older, it is less likely that they will go out of the garden, but nothhing comes guatanteed.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Postaholic Member

thats very expensive neutering, its around 30 to 35 each around here.
it pays to shop around sometimes.

my dogs would always chase strange cats, but not their `own` ones.

as your dog is used to cats already, you have a head start!
a stairgate is a good idea, that way the kittens can have a safe haven where the dog cant follow them, and once they are living together happily you can take it down.

5 to 6 months is the best time to get them done, you really dont want a squirty boy, its really not nice!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM
5 Star Member

Thank you for all the advice. I feel a bit better about doing it now as I was really worrying about it all!

I will have the kittens sleep in my room for a few months until I know the dog is completely happy with them, I think he will be fine but it might take him a few weeks to settle to them.

I will have a look at different vets for the neuters! I didnt realise you could get it that cheaply!

I am sorry but "a squirty boy" really did make me chuckle

Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Posting Deity

having had a "squirty boy" (and a few girls!) myself it's not funny!

I would ring around a few vets to ask for a price to be honest.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Postaholic Member

and if you find the local vet to you that accepts cat protection neutering vouchers it may be slightly cheaper, as they are `worth` £28, so if you`re lucky their price will reflect that.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Star Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I am going to go ahead and get the two little 'uns. I think the dog will be fine with them as he has lived with a cat before, I admit he has lived with a grumpy old man and not two playful kittens but we shall see how he goes and I am going to kitten proof my room so they can stay with me at night to give him a break as well.

Its a bad photo but here they are at their current home

pigglywiggly and stinglestick like this.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Postaholic Member

aaah 2 ginners, gotta ginners.

lovely looking kittehs, especially the tort`n`white.
did you know the red gene is the nortie gene?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglywiggly View Post
aaah 2 ginners, gotta ginners.

lovely looking kittehs, especially the tort`n`white.
did you know the red gene is the nortie gene?

I have never had gingers so it shall be a first for me

Thank you, I cant wait to bring them home, Having to wait until the 5th of Jan though!!!!!

Uh oh.... If I dye them a different colour will it change things

Tags
new kitten