Dog -Healing after an op - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Postaholic Member
Default Dog -Healing after an op

I have an ancient rescued collie cross.Recently she had a large mass removed from her leg(it was non malignant,phew!!).
However,due to the large mass they had to remove and the lack of skin left on her leg she had extensive stitches and the healing process has been slow.
Shes due to have her stitches out on Monday but I came home from work yesterday and discovered she'd managed to get her buster collar off and bitten through her stitches reopening the wound.....back to the vets for restitching..
Now im worried she'll do the same..Anyone got any hints etc on how to stop her from doing it.Shes tenacious and wont stop till shes free of the collar then she just bites through any dressings etc.
The wound is on her front left leg and covers the whole length bar the paw.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultra Citizen

im sure other people will have better ideas, but is there anyone you could leave her with in the day, or anyone who could stay with her or pop in and keep a close eye on her just till the wound is healed? otherwise, maybe mention it to the vets, they are bound to have some ideas x
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacs View Post
im sure other people will have better ideas, but is there anyone you could leave her with in the day, or anyone who could stay with her or pop in and keep a close eye on her just till the wound is healed? otherwise, maybe mention it to the vets, they are bound to have some ideas x
Unfortunately not,just got back from there and its another course of anti biotics and all they can suggest is the buster collar.*sighs*! Thanks for your help though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Postaholic Member

can they not cover it up with the bandage that sticks to itself that comes in hideous colours?
forget what its called, i had to have my dogs paw done once and she was a tenaceous toe chewer.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglywiggly View Post
can they not cover it up with the bandage that sticks to itself that comes in hideous colours?
forget what its called, i had to have my dogs paw done once and she was a tenaceous toe chewer.
Shes bitten through three of those thus far..She doesnt like having it on it seems!
The wound is healing from the inside out so it looks pretty gakky .Vet reckons about two more weeks..which wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have another week before end of the school term .Bah
Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Pets are a luxury!!!
Send a message via AIM to Shell195

Ask the vets for some bitter wound spray(made by Leo I think) they really dont like the taste.

Ive just checked for you, it appears they have changed the name.
Its this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bitter-Spr...-/190297698461
You can buy it online but for speed ask the vets

ZAK MY GREEK DOG

WOODLANDS ANIMAL SANCTUARY
(also Registered hedgehog carers)
http://www.animalsanctuary.org.uk/
W.A.S. Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=97503031607

AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOG RESCUE
http://www.homelesshogs.co.uk
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglywiggly View Post

Vet wrap .

OP, can you not muzzle her? This would stop her chewing at the stitches so long as it's on securely .

Member 29559

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Forum Citizen

I would suggest a basket type muzzle. She would still be able to drink and pant, but not chew. I've always used these on post op dogs they're much kinder than having to bang their way around the house with those stupid collars on!
stinglestick likes this.

Tags
dog