Food / Object dog aggression help please... - Page 10 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 27-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

dogs just know good and bad... black and white...

off on...

Advertisement

Old 27-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekygeeky View Post
So the next step? What would you do?

As some of you know the family i work for have a dog, i'm with him Monday to Friday....

He is an amazing dog MOST of the time, but there is this aggression which we are struggling with.

It all started with aggression with his food bowl, this then escalated on to food objects (kongs/raw hide etc)... he hadnt shown any aggression for a few months until a few weeks back, and now its started again and its a near enough daily occurrence.

Its now not just food, its now gone on to other things ... this week its been...

A football
A packet of butter
A bag
A plant
A fabric lunch box
His sick

Its gone to food and things he sees as edible ...

Its so bad that sometimes we are stuck in a room, and can't move. And its scary. He totally changes his posture, his face, everything..

He's had training, nothing nasty has ever happened to him, he's had a behaviourist in. And we are doing a 'program' with him (which hasnt done anything yet).

As a small pup he didnt like eating, we struggled with getting him to eat, he wouldnt get excited, or wag his tail etc. He had a place where he hid all his toys... etc etc .. .all signs of it starting, and at the time we thought of it as just baby behaviour.

What can we do next -- we can't fill the role of dominate one ... you couldnt go in there and take the object off of him, as he would seriously seriously hurt you.

I will say it again, he is an amazing puppy, i LOVE working with him, i LOVE walking him, and i love cuddles and kisses from him. Its the spilt personality thats worrying.

If the dog is changing for the better with the advice from the behaviourist, like you've said his posture has improved, i would continue with the program they have set you. Has anything the dog is doing got worse since the you started training him this way?

It would be interesting if you could film the dog interacting with people it knows even when theres no food around, as offering advice on how to train a dog that we can't even see to read how its feeling could be detrimental.

3x Black cats 1x Horsfield tortoise
2x Dwarf Lop bunnies 1x Caatinga rainbow boa
4x Chinchillas 1x Fire bellied newt
2x Zebra finches 1x Firebellied toad
1x Thayer's king snake 1x Albino boa
1x Short tailed Opossum 1x Lutino Parrotlet
Old 27-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi View Post
One of mine has a liking for car chasing and he get's shown a lot of leaves and stones, hehe.
I laughed at this...do you ever wonder if your dog thinks you have a problem mentally. Like it is thinking on the inside "Mum I have told you what that is a million times" but just too polite to say?

I do the same on woodland walks when I want to tire my dogs a little more, I point down a random path or bank and say "whats that" in the hope they think there is a squirrel or something down there and run around a bit. I am sure my dogs think I am a moron and are just humouring me!
Postcard likes this.

Steve and me-Humans
Edenn-Golden Retriever
River-Golden Retriever
Cornsnake and Meece!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare View Post
I laughed at this...do you ever wonder if your dog thinks you have a problem mentally. Like it is thinking on the inside "Mum I have told you what that is a million times" but just too polite to say?

I do the same on woodland walks when I want to tire my dogs a little more, I point down a random path or bank and say "whats that" in the hope they think there is a squirrel or something down there and run around a bit. I am sure my dogs think I am a moron and are just humouring me!
I think so, but then again, he's not the brightest penny in the box, so i'm not sure!
1.1.0 Anery Corn Snakes
1.1.0 Banded Flower Mantis
60L Octopus tank
12L Tropical Shrimp Tank
Old 28-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABU View Post
dogs just know good and bad... black and white...

off on...
Devi likes this.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Citizen

i was thinking that...

...Caucasian Ovcharka...

http://bearthecaucasian.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbisto
...Boiga - Corallus - Morelia Addict...