Food / Object dog aggression help please... - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 26-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_40 View Post
ETA: Even with wolves... people get pack theory wrong, pack leader does not eat first, pups do, you are supposed to provide for your pack, not take their food.
Off topic slightly so sorry for this.
I recently discovered that a young male fox will take food back to the den and give it to his sister before eating himself.
Unlike wolves, I don't think the male hangs around once he'd done the deed (someone please correct me if I am wrong) so I think it's even more interesting to learn that the males take care of their sisters.
Devi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Citizen

devi thats not true at all, ALL dogs regardless of breeds has to have 1 dominant....maybe pack is a wrong word but if you have 2 dogs...1 will be dominant, if you go to a park and theres 5 dogs playing 1 will be dominant.

taking food, and laying the dog on its back isnt cruel and doesnt hurt and doesnt turn the dog in a wimp, my dog would go for us if we fight eachother, if i was shouting at my brother the dog would jump between us, try and bite me etc....a scared dog wouldnt do that it would cower at a loud voice, we nevr shouted at the dog either everything we did was with a smile and a soft voice then praise him after
Want A Custom Tattoo Machine Built To Your Needs? Pm Me And We Will Build And Tune To Your Tattooing Style

1.Green Iguana
Click Here

Facebook HERE
Old 26-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Ultra Citizen

I think so much emphasis is being put on food,this dog is possesive with other items and it will escalate,this is a dog/owner issue.It is taking over slowly but surely.Have dealt with many cruelty cases of starvation and neglect,this does not produce food proud behaviour,it is in the make up of the individual dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberbiker View Post
devi thats not true at all, ALL dogs regardless of breeds has to have 1 dominant....maybe pack is a wrong word but if you have 2 dogs...1 will be dominant, if you go to a park and theres 5 dogs playing 1 will be dominant.
That is complete poppycock, made up many years ago by people who didn't know any better. People once thought the earth was flat, but now we realise it's not true. Same with the above theory.
Zoo-Man and Kare like this.
1.1.0 Anery Corn Snakes
1.1.0 Banded Flower Mantis
60L Octopus tank
12L Tropical Shrimp Tank
Old 26-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi View Post
That is complete poppycock, made up many years ago by people who didn't know any better. People once thought the earth was flat, but now we realise it's not true. Same with the above theory.
Was it Kare who studied dingo packs in the wild, this was one study disproving pack theory, there have been many more.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Citizen

get a mastino type and we will see bud, my friend has a neo which is 14 stone and sat down he is taller than her cooker/kitchen worktops...he is the biggest dog iv ever seen, she had to introduce her children over months through a stairgate because he was trying to be dominant over them and hes only allowed around them after hes been exercised and ate etc, mastinos have all there old traits still in them they havent been bred out. if she hadnt been dominant with that dog so he knew his place can you imagine how it would end...shes 8 stone and he is 14 stone of muscle and taller than her if he stood up lol. not only is size a issue but his breed traits and dominance is one of them aswell as guarding (naturally)
Want A Custom Tattoo Machine Built To Your Needs? Pm Me And We Will Build And Tune To Your Tattooing Style

1.Green Iguana
Click Here

Facebook HERE
Old 26-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Ultra Citizen

Just to add, don't go to hung up over the Ceaser Millan type dominance theories.
They're based on a deeply flawed study that relied on a group of wolves, all unknown to each other, being forced to live together.
It was assumed that the behavior they showed was of a typical pack, but of course it wasn't as it wasn't a pack that had evolved into a family unit.
Zoo-Man and Devi like this.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi View Post
I agree it is poppycock. If you take a bunch of dogs and try to pin down who is in charge it would be very variable. One could be thought to be dominant in one aspect and another in other aspects.

If you get one dog that is always trying to assert itself over other dogs it in reality is probably just a badly balanced dog, and yet for generations people have been rewarding this behaviour and treating that dog as the head of their pack. Any group of canines in the wild and this bossy dog would die out as it would be excluded from the group.
Corsetts and Devi like this.

Steve and me-Humans
Edenn-Golden Retriever
River-Golden Retriever
Cornsnake and Meece!!
Old 26-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberbiker View Post
get a mastino type and we will see bud, my friend has a neo which is 14 stone and sat down he is taller than her cooker/kitchen worktops...he is the biggest dog iv ever seen, she had to introduce her children over months through a stairgate because he was trying to be dominant over them and hes only allowed around them after hes been exercised and ate etc, mastinos have all there old traits still in them they havent been bred out. if she hadnt been dominant with that dog so he knew his place can you imagine how it would end...shes 8 stone and he is 14 stone of muscle and taller than her if he stood up lol. not only is size a issue but his breed traits and dominance is one of them aswell as guarding (naturally)
I volunteered at my first rescue at 10 years old and I'm not exactly a large person now, I've handled dogs more than twice my size dozens of times who come straight off the street or from homes where they are neglected and abused. Yet somehow I've not met a single one who has shown 'dominance', because it doesn't exist.
Maybe try reading a few up to date training books?
samurai likes this.
1.1.0 Anery Corn Snakes
1.1.0 Banded Flower Mantis
60L Octopus tank
12L Tropical Shrimp Tank
Old 26-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Citizen

thats your opinion from what iv seen i disagree but each to there own, it doesnt matter anyway does it? i dont reward or punish for what i see as dominance. the whole taking food/toys was for safety so kids wouldnt get bit if they took toys or food etc as there to young to know any different

1.Green Iguana
Click Here

Facebook HERE