Food / Object dog aggression help please... - Page 6 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 26-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalsbeebee View Post
This is not from fear,its testing its owners,pushing its luck,like habu said,the very first time it showed agression it should have been put in its place.I think there are dog behaviourist with the same attitude as the "dont smack children " brigade.There is a massive difference from a smack to beating.My akitas live with children and other animals,when i give a command they should obey.If this was not the case because of their type i would have trouble on my hands.As i said before,they work you out.My dogs respect me,not fear me.Certain breeds of dogs don't suit certain people.
I disagree.

A sharp command from a respected owner should stop a dog in it's tracks (same as a warning growl)
Just my opinion anyway.
ermgravy likes this.
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsetts View Post
Well, no... but, if you don't smack your dogs then maybe they'll stop snapping at you.
he didnt say they snap at him... he said IF they were to snap at him...
i think what habu is saying is, should one have a pop he'll give it a smack.
NOT, that his dogs snap all the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Old 26-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1 View Post
this is turning into such an interesting thread as there are two lines of thought going on and each kind of contradicts the other BUT each has people who advocate it as having worked for them.
My dad was in the school of thought that bobber and beebee are.. a dog should respect and obey a human straight away... he used a smack as a means of punishment...
now according to him, that dog was the best dog he ever owned... it wouldnt touch its food unless told to, it dodnt move unless told to, etc...
i am not sure what line i would follow to be honest...
Don't get me wrong, the old school training does work, and is efficient but probably in spite of the training rather than because of it.

Did anyone see that documentary the other day on dog behavior? fascinating stuff and they made the point that all military dogs are now trained using reward based training because it's simply a lot more effective.
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
he didnt say they snap at him... he said IF they were to snap at him...
i think what habu is saying is, should one have a pop he'll give it a smack.
NOT, that his dogs snap all the time...
There's the thing...
He infers that is what would happen if one snapped, but they don't snap? so it just doesn't tie up.

My dog won't snap at me, so I don't need to worry about it as we spent a lot of time training her
Old 26-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

aggressive dogs get executed because the aggression and possessiveness usually grows over time because the dog sees that it works...

nip it in the bud... aggressive dogs get sent to the pound because their owners can't deal with it anymore... the bad habits get deeply ingrained over time...

the pound ends up putting the animal down...

enforcing boundaries and teaching a dog what is acceptable behavior and what is not will often save a dog's life...

no means no... teach a dog the rules early... and if it challenges you or attacks others... teach it the penalty and the fact that it will never win...

you don't need to beat a dog... but dogs are physical... watch adult dogs around puppies... the adult dogs put pups in their place... it's what dogs understand..

let a dog get away with bad behavior and that also teaches them things... that aggression works and they can get away with whatever they want...

don't respect strong owners... weak owners get owned by the dog over time... then they become spoiled brats... then they die by lethal injection...

Old 26-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Ultra Citizen

Someone we know is very old school with his dog training, firmly believes in giving them a good hiding to let them know who's boss and likes to dominate his dog.

All was fine for several Years until a couple of weeks ago when it savaged one of his Daughters and was destroyed yet the dog had never shown any signs of aggression before. Makes you think...
Old 26-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Postaholic Member

we have a very BIG old tyme... weighty and strong...now generally he is good but odd times he will try to throw his weight around...
he is unnutered at present as we may breed him in the future...
what would be the best way to deal with him?
I tend to use my voice and he does respond well but on accasion we need to use the rolled up paper...NOT to hit him, but rustling it makes him stop and listen!
only thing that does...LOL
big wuss!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Old 26-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABU View Post
aggressive dogs get executed because the aggression and possessiveness usually grows over time because the dog sees that it works...

nip it in the bud... aggressive dogs get sent to the pound because their owners can't deal with it anymore... the bad habits get deeply ingrained over time...

the pound ends up putting the animal down...

enforcing boundaries and teaching a dog what is acceptable behavior and what is not will often save a dog's life...

no means no... teach a dog the rules early... and if it challenges you or attacks others... teach it the penalty and the fact that it will never win...

you don't need to beat a dog... but dogs are physical... watch adult dogs around puppies... the adult dogs put pups in their place... it's what dogs understand..

let a dog get away with bad behavior and that also teaches them things... that aggression works and they can get away with whatever they want...

don't respect strong owners... weak owners get owned by the dog over time... then they become spoiled brats... then they die by lethal injection...
They don't though

Have you EVER seen a dog BITE a puppy for stepping out of line? No, they don't. A snarl, a threatening gesture yes but they won't bite them which is what a smack represents.

Anyway, this thread is going way O/T now, apologies to the OP
Old 26-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
we have a very BIG old tyme... weighty and strong...now generally he is good but odd times he will try to throw his weight around...
he is unnutered at present as we may breed him in the future...
what would be the best way to deal with him?
I tend to use my voice and he does respond well but on accasion we need to use the rolled up paper...NOT to hit him, but rustling it makes him stop and listen!
only thing that does...LOL
big wuss!
LOL
Thats distraction technique, take his mind off what he's doing, it breaks his concentration and allows you to get a command in. Is similar to what that ceasaer guy does, when he taps the dogs with his heel. He does not hurt them just distracts them.
Old 26-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsetts View Post
They don't though

Have you EVER seen a dog BITE a puppy for stepping out of line? No, they don't. A snarl, a threatening gesture yes but they won't bite them which is what a smack represents.

Anyway, this thread is going way O/T now, apologies to the OP
i never said anything about biting your dog...

jeez!... a smack isn't a bite... dogs will snap at a pup... pin it down if needed... with the pups neck in the big dog's jaws...

a pup usually ends up screaming and running for safety...

and a pup with bad habits will grow and watch what dogs do to a grown dog with bad habits... a fight... bites... blood...

let some little dog try to bite my big dog... my big dog will tear it a new one... kill it if she has to...

dogs will fight... maul one another... usually because one doesn't have manners...

pups become dogs... bad habits get worse... then the bad dog messes with another dog... the wrong dog... and the bad dog gets torn to shreds...