Food / Object dog aggression help please... - Page 6 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics


  #51 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Corsetts's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalsbeebee View Post
This is not from fear,its testing its owners,pushing its luck,like habu said,the very first time it showed agression it should have been put in its place.I think there are dog behaviourist with the same attitude as the "dont smack children " brigade.There is a massive difference from a smack to beating.My akitas live with children and other animals,when i give a command they should obey.If this was not the case because of their type i would have trouble on my hands.As i said before,they work you out.My dogs respect me,not fear me.Certain breeds of dogs don't suit certain people.
I disagree.

A sharp command from a respected owner should stop a dog in it's tracks (same as a warning growl)
Just my opinion anyway.
ermgravy likes this.
__________________
"I was left in no doubt as to the severity of the hangover when the cat stamped into the room" - PG Wodehouse
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Rach1's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW England: Lancashire
Posts: 10,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsetts View Post
Well, no... but, if you don't smack your dogs then maybe they'll stop snapping at you.
he didnt say they snap at him... he said IF they were to snap at him...
i think what habu is saying is, should one have a pop he'll give it a smack.
NOT, that his dogs snap all the time...
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Corsetts's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1 View Post
this is turning into such an interesting thread as there are two lines of thought going on and each kind of contradicts the other BUT each has people who advocate it as having worked for them.
My dad was in the school of thought that bobber and beebee are.. a dog should respect and obey a human straight away... he used a smack as a means of punishment...
now according to him, that dog was the best dog he ever owned... it wouldnt touch its food unless told to, it dodnt move unless told to, etc...
i am not sure what line i would follow to be honest...
Don't get me wrong, the old school training does work, and is efficient but probably in spite of the training rather than because of it.

Did anyone see that documentary the other day on dog behavior? fascinating stuff and they made the point that all military dogs are now trained using reward based training because it's simply a lot more effective.
__________________
"I was left in no doubt as to the severity of the hangover when the cat stamped into the room" - PG Wodehouse
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Corsetts's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1 View Post
he didnt say they snap at him... he said IF they were to snap at him...
i think what habu is saying is, should one have a pop he'll give it a smack.
NOT, that his dogs snap all the time...
There's the thing...
He infers that is what would happen if one snapped, but they don't snap? so it just doesn't tie up.

My dog won't snap at me, so I don't need to worry about it as we spent a lot of time training her
__________________
"I was left in no doubt as to the severity of the hangover when the cat stamped into the room" - PG Wodehouse
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 04:59 PM
HABU's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 71,221
Send a message via MSN to HABU
Default

aggressive dogs get executed because the aggression and possessiveness usually grows over time because the dog sees that it works...

nip it in the bud... aggressive dogs get sent to the pound because their owners can't deal with it anymore... the bad habits get deeply ingrained over time...

the pound ends up putting the animal down...

enforcing boundaries and teaching a dog what is acceptable behavior and what is not will often save a dog's life...

no means no... teach a dog the rules early... and if it challenges you or attacks others... teach it the penalty and the fact that it will never win...

you don't need to beat a dog... but dogs are physical... watch adult dogs around puppies... the adult dogs put pups in their place... it's what dogs understand..

let a dog get away with bad behavior and that also teaches them things... that aggression works and they can get away with whatever they want...

don't respect strong owners... weak owners get owned by the dog over time... then they become spoiled brats... then they die by lethal injection...



__________________
http://i62.tinypic.com/206n0k0.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Corsetts's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Posts: 1,438
Default

Someone we know is very old school with his dog training, firmly believes in giving them a good hiding to let them know who's boss and likes to dominate his dog.

All was fine for several Years until a couple of weeks ago when it savaged one of his Daughters and was destroyed yet the dog had never shown any signs of aggression before. Makes you think...
__________________
"I was left in no doubt as to the severity of the hangover when the cat stamped into the room" - PG Wodehouse
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Rach1's Avatar
Postaholic Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW England: Lancashire
Posts: 10,369
Default

we have a very BIG old tyme... weighty and strong...now generally he is good but odd times he will try to throw his weight around...
he is unnutered at present as we may breed him in the future...
what would be the best way to deal with him?
I tend to use my voice and he does respond well but on accasion we need to use the rolled up paper...NOT to hit him, but rustling it makes him stop and listen!
only thing that does...LOL
big wuss!
LOL
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
Bad news for you Rach

You aint boring at all...
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Corsetts's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABU View Post
aggressive dogs get executed because the aggression and possessiveness usually grows over time because the dog sees that it works...

nip it in the bud... aggressive dogs get sent to the pound because their owners can't deal with it anymore... the bad habits get deeply ingrained over time...

the pound ends up putting the animal down...

enforcing boundaries and teaching a dog what is acceptable behavior and what is not will often save a dog's life...

no means no... teach a dog the rules early... and if it challenges you or attacks others... teach it the penalty and the fact that it will never win...

you don't need to beat a dog... but dogs are physical... watch adult dogs around puppies... the adult dogs put pups in their place... it's what dogs understand..

let a dog get away with bad behavior and that also teaches them things... that aggression works and they can get away with whatever they want...

don't respect strong owners... weak owners get owned by the dog over time... then they become spoiled brats... then they die by lethal injection...
They don't though

Have you EVER seen a dog BITE a puppy for stepping out of line? No, they don't. A snarl, a threatening gesture yes but they won't bite them which is what a smack represents.

Anyway, this thread is going way O/T now, apologies to the OP
__________________
"I was left in no doubt as to the severity of the hangover when the cat stamped into the room" - PG Wodehouse
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 05:07 PM
DavieB's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1 View Post
we have a very BIG old tyme... weighty and strong...now generally he is good but odd times he will try to throw his weight around...
he is unnutered at present as we may breed him in the future...
what would be the best way to deal with him?
I tend to use my voice and he does respond well but on accasion we need to use the rolled up paper...NOT to hit him, but rustling it makes him stop and listen!
only thing that does...LOL
big wuss!
LOL
Thats distraction technique, take his mind off what he's doing, it breaks his concentration and allows you to get a command in. Is similar to what that ceasaer guy does, when he taps the dogs with his heel. He does not hurt them just distracts them.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 26-03-2012, 05:10 PM
HABU's Avatar
Posting Deity
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 71,221
Send a message via MSN to HABU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsetts View Post
They don't though

Have you EVER seen a dog BITE a puppy for stepping out of line? No, they don't. A snarl, a threatening gesture yes but they won't bite them which is what a smack represents.

Anyway, this thread is going way O/T now, apologies to the OP
i never said anything about biting your dog...

jeez!... a smack isn't a bite... dogs will snap at a pup... pin it down if needed... with the pups neck in the big dog's jaws...

a pup usually ends up screaming and running for safety...

and a pup with bad habits will grow and watch what dogs do to a grown dog with bad habits... a fight... bites... blood...

let some little dog try to bite my big dog... my big dog will tear it a new one... kill it if she has to...

dogs will fight... maul one another... usually because one doesn't have manners...

pups become dogs... bad habits get worse... then the bad dog messes with another dog... the wrong dog... and the bad dog gets torn to shreds...



__________________
http://i62.tinypic.com/206n0k0.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tegu extreme food aggression in viv Buda87 Lizards 0 24-03-2012 10:51 PM
Food Aggression in puppies.. freekygeeky Other Pets and Exotics 12 21-09-2011 08:19 PM
food aggression elle1331 Other Pets and Exotics 60 29-07-2009 01:07 AM
Food aggression help needed... Meko Other Pets and Exotics 35 19-11-2008 12:18 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)