Food / Object dog aggression help please... - Page 7 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 26-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

I'm done here...

If anyone does want to learn about dog training, please just read up on it and/or get some advice from a respected professional.
Don't hit your dog, you won't like it when they eventually hit you back...
Zoo-Man, MRS MURPH and ermgravy like this.
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsetts View Post
I'm done here...

If anyone does want to learn about dog training, please just read up on it and/or get some advice from a respected professional.
Don't hit your dog, you won't like it when they eventually hit you back...
my crazy dog used to bite everyone and everything... till it bit me... and met it's match... got it's ass whipped... now she's sweet as pie... loves everyone...

she learned the penalty of aggression... her former owners never taught her rules... typical spoiled fi-fi dog... she thought she was boss and owned everything... i ended up with her because she was unmanageable... bit everyone...

not anymore... she's happy now... she doesn't have the stress of being the boss with weak owners anymore... i'm the boss... she can relax now...

dogs don't like being the boss... a strong owner takes that anxiety away...

my fi-fi dog is an angel now... a totally different dog... mellow... not possessive... not aggressive...

Old 26-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultra Citizen

I am really struggling with understanding habus posts, but I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't hit your animals. You are your pets caretaker and should be the one keeping it safe not starting fights with it.
In addition as has been said, dogs who have been punished physically are much more likely to bite. It's obvious really, someone hits you then you hit them back.
Zoo-Man and samurai like this.
1.1.0 Anery Corn Snakes
1.1.0 Banded Flower Mantis
60L Octopus tank
12L Tropical Shrimp Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Posting Deity
Send a message via MSN to HABU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi View Post
I am really struggling with understanding habus posts, but I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't hit your animals. You are your pets caretaker and should be the one keeping it safe not starting fights with it.
In addition as has been said, dogs who have been punished physically are much more likely to bite. It's obvious really, someone hits you then you hit them back.
you shouldn't have to hit your dog...

teaching them early that there are lines you can cross and get punished makes for a happy dog...

like kids... you shouldn't hit your kids... or need to if you teach them that there are boundaries...

kids who think that they can be aggressive and get away with it one day meet a cop with a club... and learn the hard way that life has rules and boundaries ...

teach pups and kids that they live under rules and cannot get away with bad behaviors...

why is this cop beating this guy?

you shouldn't hit people i thought?... why do cops?

maybe some people weren't taught right... the cops will teach them...

dogs get executed... when they aren't raised right...

Old 26-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Did anyone see that documentary the other day on dog behavior? fascinating stuff and they made the point that all military dogs are now trained using reward based training because it's simply a lot more effective.
I never saw it but I find it very interesting.
Back in 1996 when I had my GSD, I used to walk her in a big local park and one day the police has sectioned part of it off so they could use it for dog training.
I saw one clueless handler who was clueless with how to use a choke chain correctly.
I never have and never will used a choke chain on my dogs, I think they are nasty and I've seen too many people over the years using them incorrectly.
I wanted to say something to the police but it would have been pointless.
However, around the same time, Dr. Roger Mugford published a book where he worked along side the police and not only proved treat based reward is far more effective, he also trained the dogs quicker.
So if the military and police have finally switched to treat based reward training, then I for one am pleased that they have taken note and listened.
Corsetts likes this.
Old 26-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
There's the thing...
He infers that is what would happen if one snapped, but they don't snap? so it just doesn't tie up.

My dog won't snap at me, so I don't need to worry about it as we spent a lot of time training her
I agree, my dog would never snap at me so there is little point me taking time to decide what to do "when it happens"

I am a female, maybe not a girly girl but fairly feminine and yet I have a German shepherd and have fostered many others and had no problems without striking a single one. (Those that have read my posts on this subject before will know I have hit my dog once, when she saw a sheep and jerked forward before stopping herself and in the process pulled me over on a wet slate path in Cornwall, a lot was learnt from me hitting her, but it was all by me....I learnt I am a complete ass when I am embarrassed and in pain and try never to do it again!)

In fact both my rescue dogs are trained so well without once hitting them or otherwise hurting them that they are visiting the elderly in care homes once or twice a week and the most problems we have ever had is the one time my GSD barked just one bark at a carehomes doorbell and startled someone.
Corsetts, ermgravy and Devi like this.

Steve and me-Humans
Edenn-Golden Retriever
River-Golden Retriever
Cornsnake and Meece!!
Old 26-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Habu, In my opinion you're making a big mistake by keep comparing dogs with people.
Dogs aren't people, dogs are dogs.

FWIW I'm a big believer in smacking kids. Not beating them, but a tap on the hand when young teaches them their boundaries.
Parents smacking children (and even people clumping each other) is a natural thing, it's how we function. But, we're not dogs.

Anyway, it works for me and our little rescue who 10 Months ago had some serious behavioral issues is now making regular visits to a home for people suffering Alzheimers, and she's very well received there
Zoo-Man and ermgravy like this.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

hmmm, I'm obviously pretty mixed I suggest using the reward based method but still I do 'smack' my dog, I'd never smack my kid.

I don't smack to hurt my dog, or as punishment though, but he is occasionally dog agressive and if he ignores my 'leave it' and lunges at a dog it will get a tap on the bum and an 'oi', I could not hurt him by tapping him, he just remembers that he isn't supposed to be doing that. If he does walk by nicely though he gets praise and fuss. I didn't have him from a puppy though, in an ideal world he would never have been dog agressive in the first place.
ermgravy likes this.

Old 26-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Citizen

corsetts is spot on to a point and when talking about your average breed then violence is never a option with working / very hard breeds a pinch collar may be required by a experianced handler simply to apply a correction the dog will actually respond too but your average pet this is completely un-nessercary and hitting dogs teachs them to disrespect not respect this is extremely well documented...

as em_40's example above its worth noting that hitting is a loose term and to strike a dog within its pain tolerance whilst worked into any state of high drive as a correction when the drive state dictates the dog will otherwise ignore your command... that is not beating a dog that is perfectly expectable, responsible and the same time i'd be correcting via a prong/pinch collar... rewards are for positive re-enforcement up in any high drive breed with all the love in the world if the dont listen they need correcting or will never learn a thing my dogs do not resent or fear a correction and com willingly and happily to sit for me to fit there collars be it flat or prong collar and that is not the response of a mistreated fearful animal...

as for a response to the OP and getting this back on topic. there is a leerburg dvd titled Leerburg Dealing with Aggressive and Dominant Dogs... it covers everything you need to know and ill pm you the link to torrent...

THE DIFFERENCE IS KIDS SHOULD FEAR THERE PARENTS! A FEARFUL DOG WILL BITE BE IT STRANGER, DOG OR EVEN HANDLER FEAR LEADS TO AGGRESSION AND AGGRESSION ONLY IN DOGS....

...Caucasian Ovcharka...

http://bearthecaucasian.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbisto
...Boiga - Corallus - Morelia Addict...

Last edited by ermgravy; 27-03-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Old 27-03-2012, 12:25 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
Thats distraction technique, take his mind off what he's doing, it breaks his concentration and allows you to get a command in. Is similar to what that ceasaer guy does, when he taps the dogs with his heel. He does not hurt them just distracts them.
Davie, not you....... please tell me your not a Ceasar Milan fan?!?!?! His heel kicks may not hurt the dogs (though I have seen some dogs yelp at it!) but his jabs to dog;s necks & flanks do, as I've seen many dogs yelp, large breeds included!
Devi likes this.

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!