Do we have a Random Dog Chat thread? - Page 106 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Ultra Citizen

Buster looking smart in his nice new collar and tag

And Buster's new "bed". I popped over to the other shop and put him behind the till whilst I grabbed something, and he decided that box looked comfy!!

Anne and Paul's - Haberdashery, Craft, Cardmaking & Wool Shops - www.anneandpauls.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist View Post
I am assuming its normal for a puppy to start off fairly calm and well behaved and then suddenly have a personality transplant and turn into a stroppy madam when she doesn't get her way.
She can and does walk well on a lead, and has learned to sit and lie down with hand signals (and treats) BUT it all goes to pot if she sees people and all she focuses on is going to say hello. Her recall and looking at me to her name being called is getting better. Is it just patience and time to get her to pay less attention to distractions?
Just spotted this. I think it's perfectly normal. Don't know if you have children, but the loveliest children turn into moody, rebellious teenagers and dogs do the same. Also when they are young, they have a short attention span and are easily distracted (sadly my Skye is over 4 and still has the same problem!). You just have to be more interesting than the distractions.

So yes, it's just patience until she gets through the 'teenage years' and if you handle it right, she'll be back to her obedient little self!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo1979 View Post
Interesting...
It seems that Storm is actually younger than we were told/thought.
I was always amazed about how fluffy and soft her fur is and was getting quite worried that she seems to be losing it in big patches at the moment. There is no obvious inflammation, soreness or itchiness, only longer straight hair underneath (I'll still keep an eye on it and if it gets worse contact the vet).
It seems as if she is losing her puppy fur, which I thought was a bit late, as we were told she was between 1-2 years old (although we thought she was closer to the 1)!
Now today on my walked I was approached by one of the gardeners who recognized her straightaway as a Northern Inuit (a first! Most people have never heard of the "breed"). He used to breed Utonagans(sp) years ago, but had to give up for whatever reasons.
He is convinced that Storm has not reached a year yet and if you google images of NIs from the age of 6 months upwards (don't think she's that young) she does look more like a juvenile than a fully grown dog.

Could we be onto something here? It would explain a lot of her still very puppyish behaviour.
I've no idea as I know nothing about NIs, but I do know GSDs and so do you. They take a few years to mature and settle down, so it could just be the GSD in conjunction with the other breeds causing this.

As far as the coat is concerned is she not 'blowing' because of the husky in the breeding?

I'd have said Laura (Pimperella on here) was the one to ask as she bred them, but she hasn't been on the forum since last year. You could try pm-ing Clare (BossHogg) as she has a couple of Pimp's puppies and has bred a litter - she might be able to offer some advice on this?

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

Mmm, lamb bones from the butchers!

Ameliaxx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feorag View Post
Just spotted this. I think it's perfectly normal. Don't know if you have children, but the loveliest children turn into moody, rebellious teenagers and dogs do the same. Also when they are young, they have a short attention span and are easily distracted (sadly my Skye is over 4 and still has the same problem!). You just have to be more interesting than the distractions.

So yes, it's just patience until she gets through the 'teenage years' and if you handle it right, she'll be back to her obedient little self!

She is 12 weeks and can be the sweetest best behaved pup ever seen, or can be a little monster that wants bark at the cat, or run to strangers. We are winning the battle though we are using pieces of chicken for training and it seems to work 80% of the time in gaining her attention. I just wish I could reset her body clock 6AM every morning she wants out of the crate, we have tried crating her later, leaving food overnight, not leaving food. I think I will have to get used to that hour of the day

The day will come when RFUK doesn't make me think FFS! at least once an hour.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Posting Deity

Aw, bless her, she's still a baby yet with a lot to learn. The 'teenage years/months" are yet to come.

She's not long been able to go out into the big wide world and there is soooo much stimulation there for her, it's no surprise she's easily distracted.

Again just patience!

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Premier Citizen

Where did you get that she was a Northern Inuit?

She looks more like a straight husky German shepherd first cross to me rather than a Northern inuit which should be a more fixed breed closer in looks/shape/coat to a german shepherd whilst retaining the husky colouring.

I thought the rescue also where saying she was a german shepherd/husky cross?

Steve and me-Humans
Edenn-Golden Retriever
River-Golden Retriever
Cornsnake and Meece!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Citizen

I agree with kare, storm looks like a husky cross German shepherd a pretty one specially because I have one that comes in my shop that looks the same but coat colour is different
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to x Sarah x

For gods sake! Can i have your view please?

My fella was walking our two Bull terriers earlier when a collie came running out and started snapping at them and trying to bite them, now bear in mind my dogs don't like other dogs at the best of times and they would not hesitate to rip one to shreds if they felt it necessary.

Anyway guys comes running out, and grabs the dogs collar, the collie hesitates and the guy lets go of the collar again, the collie then proceeds to snap at my dogs, Kizzy is starting to lose it and Bruno is not far behind.

My fella shouts at the bloke to get hold of his dog or else there is going to be blood shed when our two finally lose it, calls him a moron and tells him he should not have a dog if he can't control it.

After giving him plenty of time and warning he has no choice but to kick the dog away, he uses the bit between the foot and the shin and kicks the dog away, hard but not enough that the dog stumbles.

A neighbour of this bloke and their family then start shouting from a car that he can't kick a dog like that. My fella shouts that he can't let a dog loose attacking other dogs like that, and carries on home.

Now the dogs owner has reported us to the police and they are coming tomorrow to speak to us. They have claimed that my fella kicked the dog so hard it landed in the road, and that he has verbally abused them.
They are taking the dog to the vet tomorrow also to get it checked over.

We have no witnesses to this event other than the dogs owners friends and neighbours (hmm wonder who they will back up).

So, what do we think?

I know he should not have kicked the dog, and he knows that, but felt he had no choice at the moment in time, the bloke was doing nothing to stop it and my fella was trying to control his own dogs, it was that or that collie getting ripped to shreds by two bull terriers, putting it's life in danger and also my dogs lives in danger when they are reported as dangerous dogs which they inevitably would have been by these jerks!!!

But at the same time this dog was loose, not on a leash and attacking my dogs on public land (the sidewalk). My two dogs on short leashes, just going for a walk round the block... so who's in the wrong here? seriously.

Last edited by x Sarah x; 04-06-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist View Post
I am assuming its normal for a puppy to start off fairly calm and well behaved and then suddenly have a personality transplant and turn into a stroppy madam when she doesn't get her way.
She can and does walk well on a lead, and has learned to sit and lie down with hand signals (and treats) BUT it all goes to pot if she sees people and all she focuses on is going to say hello. Her recall and looking at me to her name being called is getting better. Is it just patience and time to get her to pay less attention to distractions?
I feel your pain at the moment :/

Thanks to you lot, Pip got a new tag too...
purpleskyes and Christie_ZXR like this.

**Clicky Banner**
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Citizen

He should tell the truth and i belive your oh was protecting your dogs and really protecting the collie because if your dogs bit back bullies have more bite power the collie owner should have been responible and have his dog pn lead. few months ago this was in the paper as far as im aware he didnt get charged. Dog stabbed 23 times in front of owner in revenge attack in Hampstead - Telegraph

Last edited by lisadew24; 04-06-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Tags
dog chat