Fox attacks? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Regular

I havent read this but I know someone who lives on the same road (was mentioned in the news) whose little sister got bitten by a fox, they didnt have a dog so it wasnt that, I also know the little boys uncle who I have talked to, lived on the same road. There is a field in the area that is full of foxes, and they arent scared of anything either. In my new house here the next door neighbour feeds the foxes by hand and they will happily come to the door and look in, you can get up and walk around and they will stay looking in until the dog runs to the door, I am sure if they could they would walk in the house they would.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja-naja View Post
foxes don't belong in an urban setting anyway, they should be trapped, poisoned, whatever it takes to get rid of them as quickly and as humanely as is practical.
That is just not fair on these animals at the end of the day foxes have only become a problem due to food and waste being a problem in all towns and city's, and that is not the foxes fault they are doing what's natural and it's bad that this child was attacked but hopefully it will make more people aware of the fox situation and be more clued up

1st YummyMummy

Emz
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to x Sarah x

Maybe people should stop leaving windows open at night, there is as much chance of a burglar or kidnapper entering the premises as a fox.

People complaining that they're climbing in through windows at night or coming in through the back door in the afternoon.

What would this country do if it were like the US, if we had bears and mountain lions roaming the outskirts? would people still leave their houses open to these predators and then order a cull when someone gets bitten????

ffs, i am embarrassed to be British, we're a bunch of cowards.
feorag, Zoo-Man, naz_pixie and 9 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

Most of the stories about fox attacks, there has been a LOT recently, are just made up to try and get people to hate foxes so they can bring back hunting with dogs...
It could have been a fox that bit the baby, trying to catch some easy prey, but I never left a window open while my 4 week old baby was in the room alone, and I still don't now and he's 3, the thought terrifies me, anyone could come in :O If I had a broken door it would be fixed immediately! and that's without living in London, place of high crime.
Zoo-Man likes this.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Premier Member

Culling won't do anything anyway, it's the same with shooting foxes on farm land. It's a prime spot for food and other things so another one will just move into the territory once it works out its no-ones.
It amazes me but doesn't surprise me that the first thing we turn to is killing things as the first solution.
naz_pixie likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Gold Star Member

I'm not conviced, Who leaves there back door open this time of year ?, And every other door inside the house open, the house would be freezing and they have a little baby ?. There back door opens into there kitchen so IMO if a fox came into your house it would raid your kitchen bin first coz it would be easyer than roaming the whole house. IMO i'd say it was a friend or family members pet dog. And the best way to remain blamless and not get anyone you know in trouble is say it was a fox.

There's no need to cull foxs as foxs are already culled, 1000's are killed every year on are roads, And even more by private pest controlers.

People are more dangerus than foxs. I don't hear of a cull of burglar or kidnappers that enter your homes, After all it's we the humans that are over populated.
Snow SPLIT Super snow = (Mack).
[1C]Snow,[2C]Snow = (TUG,GEM).
Tinted = (False eclipse).
Hyper aberrant = (Jungle).
Tremper albino = (Talbino).
Bell albino = (Balbino).
Rainwater albino = (Ralbino).
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 PM
No Life Member

no sense to culling foxes when what attracts them is still a problem, all you do is create a vacancy for either more foxes or other pest species (and if you think foxes do damage, you havnt seen the mess a seagull can cause to a human). reduce food waste or collect it more often and stop people feeding them and the population will cull itself.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Posting Deity

We have become a nation of fast food eaters on the street. Time was you took food home with you (fish & chips was about the only fast food there was) or ate it on the street but nowadays everyone eats everything on the street and just dumps what they dont want to eat. I'm fed up of finding half eaten McDonalds on the fields where I walk Skye etc etc.

All this and people putting out food in plastic bin liners instead of dustbins make it so easy for urban foxes and all this ready made supply of easy food is why they are so successful nowadays.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja-naja View Post
foxes don't belong in an urban setting anyway, they should be trapped, poisoned, whatever it takes to get rid of them as quickly and as humanely as is practical.
That's a ridiculous statement. Urban environments impinged on the foxes territory, not the other way around. People need to learn how to live with foxes not against them.
Rubbish in secure bins, do not feed foxes in the garden, secure your houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat2 View Post
I havent read this but I know someone who lives on the same road (was mentioned in the news) whose little sister got bitten by a fox, they didnt have a dog so it wasnt that, I also know the little boys uncle who I have talked to, lived on the same road. There is a field in the area that is full of foxes, and they arent scared of anything either. In my new house here the next door neighbour feeds the foxes by hand and they will happily come to the door and look in, you can get up and walk around and they will stay looking in until the dog runs to the door, I am sure if they could they would walk in the house they would.
Maybe people like your neighbour shouldn't be feeding the foxes. These are wild animals. To ensure our safety we should keep a clear distinction between us. Fesding them reduces their fear, which leads to them entering homes etc. Not that I totally believe this story any way.

The one I can't understand is some idiot on the bbc saying 'bring back fox hunting'.
All that will do is drive more foxes in to urban areas as they try to get away from them. When was the last time a load of red coats went screaming through london on horse back after the foxes? Ridiculous.

Culling will do nothing. We need to manage human waste to reduce fox numbers. That is it.
feorag, bbav, Zoo-Man and 6 others like this.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Posting Deity

Absolutely right! Fox hunting won't solve this problem at all - you cannot have horses and hounds galloping around housing estates Anything moving on 4 legs would be torn apart in minutes!
naz_pixie likes this.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/