Warning! Dog owners - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 16-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Premier Citizen
Default Warning! Dog owners

Discovered what the problem is with the dogs..grit and rock salt has anti freeze added..dogs are licking their feet and being poisoned..symptoms are...vomiting, diahrea,drooling, seizures and nervous twitching..dogs have been dying...advised to wash dogs feet when they return home from walks...not parvo..it is serious dogs are being affected all over

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Posting Deity

Grit and rock salt don't have anti-freeze added, cos they don't need it to do their job.

The anti-freeze is in car wash and when there's snow and frost on the ground, people are squirting it all over when cleaning their windscreens, then dogs walk on the snow and frost and lick their feet.

The actual risk to dogs from rock salt is dehydration from licking their feet and yes dogs and cats are dying because of this.

I did put up a thread warning about this a couple of months ago, but can't find it now.

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 18-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by feorag View Post
Grit and rock salt don't have anti-freeze added, cos they don't need it to do their job.

The anti-freeze is in car wash and when there's snow and frost on the ground, people are squirting it all over when cleaning their windscreens, then dogs walk on the snow and frost and lick their feet.

The actual risk to dogs from rock salt is dehydration from licking their feet and yes dogs and cats are dying because of this.

I did put up a thread warning about this a couple of months ago, but can't find it now.
I THINK YOU ARE VERY WRONG..TRY TELLING THAT TO THE PEOPLE WITH VERY ILL ANIMALS THAT ARE BEING TREATED WITH INTENSIVE CARE..i SPOKE TO A WOMAN DOWN STAIRS THAT HAS TWO ELDERLY DOGS, ONE HAS BEEN IN THE VET FOR NEAR ON A WEEK, THE OTHER IS POORLY..THE VET IS TREATING FOR PARVO WHEN IN FACT IT IS NOT..NOT ONLY ARE THE COUNCILS NEGLIGENT BUT PEOPLE THAT CAN ILL AFFORD THE TREATMENT ARE BEING TAKEN DOWN THE WRONG ROAD..IT IS RIDICULOUS TO STATE THAT THE ANTI FREEZE IS DUE TO PEOPLES CAR WASHERS & THE ANIMALS ARE ONLY DEHYDRATED..TYPICAL FORUM MUMBO JUMBO..JEEZ! IN MY STREET NO ONE CAN PARK...PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TO BE USING GALLONS OF ANTIFREEZE IN THEIR CAR WASHERS FOR IT TO POISON THE DOGS/CATS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:

I THINK YOU ARE VERY WRONG..TRY TELLING THAT TO THE PEOPLE WITH VERY ILL ANIMALS THAT ARE BEING TREATED WITH INTENSIVE CARE..I SPOKE TO A WOMAN DOWN STAIRS THAT HAS TWO ELDERLY DOGS, ONE HAS BEEN IN THE VET FOR NEAR ON A WEEK, THE OTHER IS POORLY..THE VET IS TREATING FOR PARVO WHEN IN FACT IT IS NOT..NOT ONLY ARE THE COUNCILS NEGLIGENT BUT PEOPLE THAT CAN ILL AFFORD THE TREATMENT ARE BEING TAKEN DOWN THE WRONG ROAD..IT IS RIDICULOUS TO STATE THAT THE ANTI FREEZE IS DUE TO PEOPLES CAR WASHERS & THE ANIMALS ARE ONLY DEHYDRATED..TYPICAL FORUM MUMBO JUMBO..JEEZ! IN MY STREET NO ONE CAN PARK...PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TO BE USING GALLONS OF ANTIFREEZE IN THEIR CAR WASHERS FOR IT TO POISON THE DOGS/CATS AS THEY DRIVE PAST
FOR THE RECORD..ANTIFREEZE IS PROBABLY A HUNDRED TIMES MORE TOXIC THAN ROCK SALT..RIDICULOUS COMMENT TO MAKE..MY FATHERS FRIEND KILLED HERSELF DRINKING A BOTTLE OF ANTIFREEZE..IT IS A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH THAT CANNOT BE TREATED.

Old 18-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Posting Deity

I'm not disputing that animals are being made ill by ingesting rock salt and anti-freeze, I was merely correcting your initial statement that there is anti-feeze in rock salt.

Stop and read the facts! It's not mumbo jumbo, Jeez!! There is no anti-freeze in rock salt!!! The symptoms you're describing are the symptoms from ingesting rock salt or anti-freeze

This is the link I posted earlier when I put out the warning.

Hundreds of dogs and cats die from rock salt scattered by gritters in big freeze | Mail Online

Rock salt and anti-freeze warning for pet owners - Health - Eastern Daily Press

And from another forum!

Have made a phone call to my council this morning and done a lot of reading on the Internet - my council at least does not add antifreeze to their road grit (there's no need as the rock salt itself is an antifreeze) and general consensus on the 'net is that there is no antifreeze in rock salt. However, animals can pick up antifreeze which has dripped from car radiators. Also some home de-icers (for paths and drives) may contain additives.

To be on the safe side, wash your dogs (and cats) paws and undersides after walking them on gritted roads

Volunteer - The Sanctuary Wildlife Care Centre http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.co.uk/

Old 18-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Premier Citizen

Don;t get flustered Feorag.

I think there may be so few responses due to people, like myself, having this Jnr on their ignore list.
Demonique and PigeonYouDead like this.

Steve and me-Humans
Edenn-Golden Retriever
River-Golden Retriever
Cornsnake and Meece!!
Old 18-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Posting Deity

Aha, so my "d*ckhead' reaction was right!
Demonique and jaykickboxer like this.

Old 18-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare View Post

I think there may be so few responses due to people, like myself, having this Jnr on their ignore list.
I haven't got anyone on ignore but I can understand why ?hope I'm not on it
Old 18-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I'm not disputing that animals are being made ill by ingesting rock salt and anti-freeze, I was merely correcting your initial statement that there is anti-feeze in rock salt.

Stop and read the facts! It's not mumbo jumbo, Jeez!! There is no anti-freeze in rock salt!!! The symptoms you're describing are the symptoms from ingesting rock salt or anti-freeze

This is the link I posted earlier when I put out the warning.

Hundreds of dogs and cats die from rock salt scattered by gritters in big freeze | Mail Online

Rock salt and anti-freeze warning for pet owners - Health - Eastern Daily Press

And from another forum!

Have made a phone call to my council this morning and done a lot of reading on the Internet - my council at least does not add antifreeze to their road grit (there's no need as the rock salt itself is an antifreeze) and general consensus on the 'net is that there is no antifreeze in rock salt. However, animals can pick up antifreeze which has dripped from car radiators. Also some home de-icers (for paths and drives) may contain additives.

To be on the safe side, wash your dogs (and cats) paws and undersides after walking them on gritted roads
Do you seriously think councils are going to admitt adding antifreeze to rock salt when it is clear that it has had an affect on animals..I wonder what affect it might have on children playing in the snow, making snowballs etc and possibly ingesting it, If this is the case it could have an impact on many levels...an excuse like anti freeze dripping from radiators or people adding screen cleaners to car windscreen washers is ridiculous...rock salt is NOT an anti freeze..adding Antifreeze however would make the grit and rock salt more durable in preventing icing of melt water..rock salt and grit alone will not!

Why has this not been happening every winter since local councils started gritting roads? May be..this is the first time they have tried a new formula in an effort to lower costs..easing their winter budgets..it certainly wouldnt be a new health scare

Old 18-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare View Post

Hahaha..the ignore button obviously doesnt work on your screen.....or are you just one of the self righteous that cant help being nosey