Bio viv build. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat > Planted Vivariums

Old 10-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Regular
Default Bio viv build.

Hello one and all. I have just completed my first planted viv this week. Took an old, cracked, 45x45x45 exo and sealed the bottom. Before and after shots below along with a list of the plants I have used. Is there anything glaringly wrong about the plants list that someone can point out please. If someone cn also point me towards the names of any plants that will grown up and out across the open space below the mesh. I am going to put a bendy jungle vine in to offer a few more perch sites under the bulbs. Would ideally like some more cover high up. The plants I have in may take sometime to grow up so want to buy one now that'll give that cover I mentioned so the little beggar can get nearer the heat if he/she likes without having to break cover.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Neoregelia Fireball
Tillandsia Usnioides
Neoregelia Tigrina
Fitonia Red
Fitonia Lime Pink
Alocasia Dwarf
Peperomia Raindrop
Begonia Schulzei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Regular

[IMG][/IMG]

Months on I have probably changed things a million times if I have changed it once. The crestie loves it but if you are thinking of doing something like this I would recommend you not put the earth on the walls. It has started to come away in bits to leave the black silicon exposed. Where he can, he loves walking on it. He can really stick to it. In any future builds I will just put black silicon on the back wall and maybe a little way on to the sides to stop from seeing any wires through the enclosure.
I should have listened to previous posts from people who discourage against sticking earth up. It was a ball ache and now its started to peel off. Like they said. Good learning experience but never again! This was my first stab at a bioactive enclosure. I'd do it all again, minus the substrate walls. Whether it is silicon or glass, he would rather walk up that than loose, crumbly soil that comes away in his "hands". Hope this helps any first timers.
Calli1984 likes this.

Last edited by afropuff; 31-12-2016 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add text

Tags
bio active setup , crested gecko & set up