Reptile Forums banner

Venus fly trap set up??

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Ron Magpie 
#1 ·
I've always been.fascinated with these interesting plants..

I'd like to set up a small fish tank to grow some, what lighten, soil etc would be best??

Thanks guys gor your help.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Hi, I have been growing carniverous plants for about 10 years, and things like mexican pinguicula, nepenthis, and some sundews will thrive in some vivs but Venus fly traps need a dormancy of cool low light over the winter or they just die. The pinguicula etc do well in fairly constant growth but with an altered photoperiod.
Try and get a hold of P D'amatos - The savage garden book or anything by Adrian Slack.
There is a nursery i use with constant good plants and he will advice too -P&J Plants they are called.
But soil mix for venus fly trap - 50/50 spagnum mosspeat sharp (lime free sand) i recomend getting stock from a proper nursery as B&Q type shops sell them but they are inevitably in poor shape (although i have had a few good ones) water with only rain water.
hope that helps a bit, PM me if you need any help.

P.S. sundews need lots of light so in a viv of any C plants id recomend at least 2 Strip lights the full length of the tank with reflectors.

#5 ·
Ideal thank you... I was going to.set up a tank just for the Venus Fly Trap since I.have loads of.small fish tanks and wanted to do something with.them... Although they may end up on my windowsill since it seems perfect from.what I've read so.far... :) I'll look into getting that book... Amazon here I.come.. Lol..

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Fishbowl, live sphagnum, sunny converatory, keep water logged in the summer. Flytraps will go dorment in the winter put them in the greenhouse and don't water them as much.
This is mine with a cape sundew and bladderworts (all doing amazing growing so fast).

#20 ·
Fishbowl, live sphagnum, sunny converatory, keep water logged in the summer. Flytraps will go dorment in the winter put them in the greenhouse and don't water them as much.
This is mine with a cape sundew and bladderworts (all doing amazing growing so fast).
If you were to put something like this in a reptile room would they eat any stray feeders e.g. crickets? Seems like it could be useful if so.

#10 ·
I grow VFTs, sundews and pitcher plants outside (Midlands) all year round in a big planter. You can find pics on my Flickr feed Flickr.com/Mattbeighton. I never cover them and they come back each year lovely and healthy.

One key thing to remember is that they cannot tolerate tap water and need rain water or ionized water only.

#12 ·
I've been keeping my fly trap outside since I got it a few months ago. I got it from B&Q where I seen it and felt a bit sorry for it being stuck under a shelf. Since then it's been coming on well and has grown considerably, to the point where it has all but grown it's first flower (it should blossom very soon).

With the heat we've been getting I've been watering it every other day. I use de-ionised water used for car batteries. Even though it's outside in the back garden I have some decking and a canopy, so when it rains it doesn't actually get rained upon. :)

#17 ·
I would have used rain water, but there's been a lack of recently so I had to use de-ionised, which has worked just fine so far so I'm going to stick with it. As for the winter, yeah, I plan on leaving it outside too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.