2019 a resurgence of shows around the UK? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Reptile Shows & Breeder Meetings

Old 28-10-2019, 12:29 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I think Drymarchon has confused Doncaster with Donnington
Well spotted typo error lol,
Point was made though,as for the IHS,letting Doncaster go,it won't as it's too reliant on the money it generates.
Most don't appreciate to work that goes into shows,or the amount of free labour needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Forum Citizen

Hey guys, I am from SRAS and organised the breeders meeting in Guildford.
It was small in comparison to Doncaster - only 40 tables but all meetings/shows have to start somewhere.

The reasons I think that we havnt had a bunch of new shows this year is because people don’t support or get involved with their local herp societies any more, it takes a huge amount of time and funding in order to put on these shows, and that’s not to do with age Id like to emphasise, everyone who organised the SRAS breeders meeting is under 31.
People would rather just sit on their bum and talk over the internet than speak to each other face to face.

The other reason I do believe is lack of venue, we are in a unique position in the fact that our chairman works at the venue and was able to work with the local AAL officer, who already licences the animal activities currently on that site (a zoo, equestrian centre, dog care etc) to make sure everything was in order.
And the fact the venue is well versed in defending against anti animal people.

The reason why Doncaster is held where it is because of the unique licencing mentioned above. Even Kempton which was on a race course fell to lobbyists.

However having got into bird keeping recently, there is a bird show every month in Guildford, held in a village hall which is I think now possible because they require membership to attend which follows the AAL.
This may be able to be applied by other reptile societies, but as I said, it takes time and funding.

The SRAS breeders meeting wasn’t a one off, we will hold another one next year.
But its hugely sad to me that our regular monthly educational meetings where we have a speaker or workshop or zoo trip are attended by a handful of people and then we have 250 people in attendance to look at some geckos, torts and snakes in boxes.
al stotton and wilkinss77 like this.
Old 29-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crablet View Post
Hey guys, I am from SRAS and organised the breeders meeting in Guildford.
It was small in comparison to Doncaster - only 40 tables but all meetings/shows have to start somewhere.

The reasons I think that we havnt had a bunch of new shows this year is because people donít support or get involved with their local herp societies any more, it takes a huge amount of time and funding in order to put on these shows, and thatís not to do with age Id like to emphasise, everyone who organised the SRAS breeders meeting is under 31.
People would rather just sit on their bum and talk over the internet than speak to each other face to face.

The other reason I do believe is lack of venue, we are in a unique position in the fact that our chairman works at the venue and was able to work with the local AAL officer, who already licences the animal activities currently on that site (a zoo, equestrian centre, dog care etc) to make sure everything was in order.
And the fact the venue is well versed in defending against anti animal people.

The reason why Doncaster is held where it is because of the unique licencing mentioned above. Even Kempton which was on a race course fell to lobbyists.

However having got into bird keeping recently, there is a bird show every month in Guildford, held in a village hall which is I think now possible because they require membership to attend which follows the AAL.
This may be able to be applied by other reptile societies, but as I said, it takes time and funding.

The SRAS breeders meeting wasnít a one off, we will hold another one next year.
But its hugely sad to me that our regular monthly educational meetings where we have a speaker or workshop or zoo trip are attended by a handful of people and then we have 250 people in attendance to look at some geckos, torts and snakes in boxes.
Did you advertise it on here at all?
wilkinss77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
Did you advertise it on here at all?
There is a bird auction/show that has been held at Rackheath village hall in Norwich every last sunday of the month for at least twenty years and never had a hitch. Similarly, Rabbit, guinea pig and small livestock breeders shows are held regularly around the same area. To that there are various other bird shows locally that a permanent fixtures on the calendar. All fairly small scale but proves there are potential venues for small reptile breeders shows if the will was there to put them on.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Hatchling

I thought it was common knowledge that Kempton stopped because it wasn't booked,a laps by the organisers, So Kempton booked the slot with others who happened to pay more,after which there was no going back,nothing to do with any antis.
Old 31-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrymarchonCouperi View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that Kempton stopped because it wasn't booked,a laps by the organisers, So Kempton booked the slot with others who happened to pay more,after which there was no going back,nothing to do with any antis.
Not true at all, & no such thing is common knowledge. What happened was that the organisers pencilled the dates in but didn't confirm until they'd heard the result of the legal case regarding the legality of reptile shows. By the time the result confirmed they are indeed legal, the APA had seized the opportunity to spook Kempton into cancelling the shows by producing a pseudoscientific paper they'd cooked up, claiming that reptiles spread diseases that can infect horses. If it had simply been a matter of missing the boat that year, the organisers would have negotiated a new arrangement for future shows.
Old 31-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Not true at all, & no such thing is common knowledge. What happened was that the organisers pencilled the dates in but didn't confirm until they'd heard the result of the legal case regarding the legality of reptile shows. By the time the result confirmed they are indeed legal, the APA had seized the opportunity to spook Kempton into cancelling the shows by producing a pseudoscientific paper they'd cooked up, claiming that reptiles spread diseases that can infect horses. If it had simply been a matter of missing the boat that year, the organisers would have negotiated a new arrangement for future shows.
your recollection isn't quite right,the dates weren't confirmed,somebody else picked up the dates and paid a higher price,so no more reptile shows at kempton,the (court case your referring to wasn't till a lot later)had no baring on what happened at Kempton,plus the case was thrown out,it didn't confirm reptile shows were legal at the time,Local authority licensing departments have as much power as they like to enforce the law as per their interpretation,no need for any wacky loonytones papers by self proclaimed experts or pretend scientist.
No need to believe the face saving BS that some people post to try and save face.
Old 31-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
your recollection isn't quite right,the dates weren't confirmed,somebody else picked up the dates and paid a higher price,so no more reptile shows at kempton,the (court case your referring to wasn't till a lot later)had no baring on what happened at Kempton,plus the case was thrown out,it didn't confirm reptile shows were legal at the time,Local authority licensing departments have as much power as they like to enforce the law as per their interpretation,no need for any wacky loonytones papers by self proclaimed experts or pretend scientist.
No need to believe the face saving BS that some people post to try and save face.
That's not what was discussed over on the old CB forum. One of those on the thread there, Mynki, an ex member from here is a race horse owner with horses based at Kempton. He confirmed that the shows were scuppered by the APA and that the management of the stadium told him that was the reason. He also posted a copy of the phoney science paper that the APA made.

Last edited by wilkinss77; 31-10-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Old 31-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
If that were the case why not either rebook for a different date or skip a year and book the next year?
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
If that were the case why not either rebook for a different date or skip a year and book the next year?
That's what I said in my original reply.

Tags
shows