worried - POSSIBLY URGENT!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Forum Citizen
Exclamation worried - POSSIBLY URGENT!!

guys, i have a hatchling sized yellow bellied slider acting funnily, her eyes are closed and her mouth is open but she's still alive, i've had that with other turts before but she's doing something else, she keeps going to swim and then flipping onto her back and not being able to get back up again!! is this bad?

their temps and lighting are fine but i changed their water today and both of their eyes closed immediately but one is fine now but turtle in question sounds/looks as if she's in pretty bad shape, i've never had this happen before so slap me if there's nothing wrong.

don't rant please if you can't tell i'm in no mood to take shit from anyone.

disclaimer: i have no idea what sex she is it's just a guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoj89 View Post
guys, i have a hatchling sized yellow bellied slider acting funnily, her eyes are closed and her mouth is open but she's still alive, i've had that with other turts before but she's doing something else, she keeps going to swim and then flipping onto her back and not being able to get back up again!! is this bad?

their temps and lighting are fine but i changed their water today and both of their eyes closed immediately but one is fine now but turtle in question sounds/looks as if she's in pretty bad shape, i've never had this happen before so slap me if there's nothing wrong.

don't rant please if you can't tell i'm in no mood to take shit from anyone.

disclaimer: i have no idea what sex she is it's just a guess.
I cant help much i'm sorry but she sounds like she's in distress, i would remove her from her enclosure into icu type of box or tub, keep her dark and calm for a little while, check her breathing nosey lungs/bubbles/ keep her hydrated, and take her to the vet, unless someone on here knows this behaviour and knows for a fact it is nothing to worry about.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue665 View Post
I cant help much i'm sorry but she sounds like she's in distress, i would remove her from her enclosure into icu type of box or tub, keep her dark and calm for a little while, check her breathing nosey lungs/bubbles/ keep her hydrated, and take her to the vet, unless someone on here knows this behaviour and knows for a fact it is nothing to worry about.
thank you!! i'll remove her now and take her to the vets first thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoj89 View Post
thank you!! i'll remove her now and take her to the vets first thing.
I instantly thought of heat distress but as you said yor temps are good. if your in the uk it might be noses/weather that is going on today.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue665 View Post
I instantly thought of heat distress but as you said yor temps are good. if your in the uk it might be noses/weather that is going on today.
yeah it could be that, it is quite wild outside tonight now that you've mentioned it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM

How is the turtle this morning?

Fortunately we have never had this happen with any of our turtles - you say you have had it previously as well, but it sounds very much like a respiratory infection although impossible to confirm without veterinary confirmation.

The turtle will need to be immediately separated from its tank mate, although it is sadly likely that they are both infected, basking temperatures will need to be increased and antibiotics obtained from the vet.

What temperature is the water and the basking area? How deep is the water? Which filter are you using - in the short space of time you have had them a complete water change would not be necessary if you have for example an Eheim external filter?

BTW, the outside temperatures have no bearing on your turtle's current situation.
cherryshrimp likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Forum Citizen

unfortunately, i think both of the turtles may have died during the night.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Ultra Citizen

I am a very experienced reptile keeper, but I have seen terrapins that I thought were dead, 'come back to life'. It is not always clear. Don't dispose of the bodies until you are 100% sure.
cherryshrimp likes this.

Includes a full list of the reptiles we are breeding, lists of what we have for sale, care sheets for Australian Water Dragons, Eyed lizards and lots more.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Any update?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
Any update?
unfortunately, they have indeed passed away. no idea why but it could be of an infection they came to me with. next reps/animals i get will be coming from a breeder if anywhere at all.

Tags
possible emergency , sick , urgent , ybs , yellow bellied slider