need some advise on YBS turtle shell - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 28-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Egg
Default need some advise on YBS turtle shell

I was told he was a 2 year old yellow bellied slider turtle
I just noticed some off his scoots are peeling off is this normal , 75% of the small scoots round the side and 1-3 on the top of his shell are peeling

and I just notice some white marks maybe 2 or 3 round his shell , he's spend most of his daytime in the water

just looking for advise

I have a basking heat lamp
UVB 10% blub
26 degree celecus water uk temp
I feed him on reptilemin , cuttlefish , little lettuce and some small broken up frozen fish

his tank is 90cm x 30cm x 60cm , he has 80 litres of water also

this is when I picked him up

thanks for reading and thanks for help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Gold Star Member

Does it smell and is there any discharge from under the scutes. If there is it could be shell rot which would need to be treated and seen by a vet. Otherwise it could be shedding. Some turtles shed better than others I suppose.

How big is the turtle? We estimate age based on size and it would be very difficult to say when he hatched unless it came from a breeder who could supply the information.

If you could post pictures of the underneath of the tail and the front claws someone could have a go a sexing it for you if it is big enough to be able to.

Make sure your UV tube isn't old as even though it gives out light the UV is not high enough after time to be useful to the animal. The basking area needs to be somewhere it can emerge and completely dry off.

Depending on the size of the turtle I would say you could lower your water a few degrees. YBS are north american in origin.

Finally if your tank has a lid it would be best if you removed it as the humidity is too high for the species you have.
nikkikenney likes this.
Old 28-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
Does it smell and is there any discharge from under the scutes. If there is it could be shell rot which would need to be treated and seen by a vet. Otherwise it could be shedding. Some turtles shed better than others I suppose.

How big is the turtle? We estimate age based on size and it would be very difficult to say when he hatched unless it came from a breeder who could supply the information.

If you could post pictures of the underneath of the tail and the front claws someone could have a go a sexing it for you if it is big enough to be able to.

Make sure your UV tube isn't old as even though it gives out light the UV is not high enough after time to be useful to the animal. The basking area needs to be somewhere it can emerge and completely dry off.

Depending on the size of the turtle I would say you could lower your water a few degrees. YBS are north american in origin.

Finally if your tank has a lid it would be best if you removed it as the humidity is too high for the species you have.
my uvb blub is brand new , its a male and hes about 6" by 4" , no discharge , or smell , and I have the top to stop cats I have a slidey top that l leave open a inch or so

Tags
scoots , turtle , yellow bellied slider