Male Yellow Bellied Slider, Claws question? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 27-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Regular
Talking Male Yellow Bellied Slider, Claws question?

Hey guys, when I have A question I always go to this site because it's reliable and all its users are very friendly, even if I'm not from the UK lol, US here
Like stated I have a male YBS, and of course I know that he is supposed to have long nails to attract females and he is constantly flaunting his stuff to my other turtle, (he obviously has a huge ego XD) LOL but is there anything I can buy that will help him file them down, I can't really handle him much because of those big sassy nails, I've read you can file them, but how so? Just wondering, I don't want them to become unhealthy because he can't file them down naturally like in the wild, any advice?
Thanks guys any input will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-2014, 08:46 AM

No they should not be filed down plus of course turtles are not meant to be handled except perhaps once a week for a health check.

What is his basking area as they may help to keep them a bit trimmer, but it is not really an issue?

What he is doing is called fanning - but it is what you say it is. What sex is the other turtle? If female then they will need separating as he will continually be mating her, and if male keep an eye on them as it could be the start of aggression as they mature. That said though, male Sliders can cohabit quite happily if there are no females around.
sdmtate, zekee, JoPwerks and 2 others like this.
Old 30-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Regular
Lightbulb :2thumb: Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm not entirely sure in what order I should answer these questions, but here goes
"Big Daddy," my for sure male turtle, he fan's himself, sometimes the mating dance is confused with fanning because that's exactly what it looks like. Actually fanning is when he exposes his sexual organs. & the matting dance is the fluttering of the claws to attract a mate My understating it's a sign of aggression or stress? but when I catch him doing it (fanning) he doesn't seem to be either(stressed), it's almost as if hes just relaxing his privates
My problem is....He never leaves my unisex turtle (can't tell if it's he/she)
"It" is much smaller than big daddy, although I know they must be around the same age because although they were purchased at separate breeder/pets store, They were almost the same size when they where purchased around the same time. Well like I said he is always doing the mating dance, after I adopted out my largest turtle. I was thinking he was stressing the small turtle out with eating and bullying, & it worked for a while until Big Daddy realized he didn't have his buddy Jensen that was given away, now all he thinks he has to do is chase the other turtle (Pip-Squeak) around and try to do the mating dance in her face from sun up till sun down!
I'm completely at a stand still because I don't know what to do? I don't want to have to give up Pip because of this.....Is there anyway besides giving him away to make this subside, anything I could buy to entice Big Daddy to peruse alternate activities or will he never leave her/him alone because I believe its causing Pip to not eat as much which has stunted his growth, which I thought would improve when I got rid of Jensen but now I believe he is miserable....I'm at a loss I don't know what to do!

Getting back to what the post was about their basking area is made of drift wood, the nails aren't actually an issue but I have noticed when hes doing his lil mating dance they come dangerously close to Pips (small turtle) eyes. & was just wondering if I could put anything in there to try & naturally file them as he doing something, like basking or digging in the rock?

& I want to say thanks again, and sorry for the delayed response. Great advice great member advice that actually owns and have had the same experiences & that makes me feel great, I always use this site for my turt's and they are healthy and happy due to its great members
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2014, 10:02 AM

So he is definitely a male and from what you describe then I should say he is more than willing to try and mate with him/her.

They will need to be separated as it will make the second one ill continually being hounded by him and stressed.

Not sure about male Slides, but we have a male Musk who mated a young male Slider so it does happen. It was not pleasant for all involved, but fortunately no damage was done, but it was rather
Old 31-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Regular
Unhappy

So, basically there isn't a way to get him to stop....So sad...So I have to give Pip-squeak away tooo? My who intention on giving my other turtle away was to give pip room and now my other turtle won't stop harassing Pip. I don't have room for another tank
Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Regular
Question Pip-Squeak

So there isn't any other options besides removing him to another tank? Do it automatically mean Pip is a female because Big Daddy won't leave him/her alone?
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Not really. If you can post some picture showing their heads, tails and front claws then we can positively id and hopefully sex them for you. Other than that and you are definite that one is male, then separation is really the only option.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Regular
Default Easiest way to post pics?

I will try & post some pics, the last time I did that I had to use photo bucket. Does anyone have any other options on how to post pics on here?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Regular

Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Regular
Question

I really can't say for sure that Pip is a female. Just because Big Daddy is doing this, I really believe it has stunted Pip's growth and affects how much he eats. Can you guys see the pic? that really isn't very recent but he hasn't grown so I think it's an ok pic.

Tags
claws , yellow bellied slider