Musk turtles hatching, ADVICE PLEASE - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 16-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Regular
Default Musk turtles hatching, ADVICE PLEASE

Hi everyone. I've got 5 musk turtle eggs been incubating for 64 days now and one has started to crack. The tip of the egg has popped open and you can see the turtles nose but there has been no change for 5 hours now. How long should it take for the turtles to emerge from it's egg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Super Regular

I'm no expert....but if you were a tiny turtle that small. Breaking out off an egg shell would take you some time. Just keep him moist and wait till the morning. Keep us updated.

Josh

P.s obviously this is just my opinion so correct me if I'm wrong.
Geomyda and supatips like this.
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 17-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Gold Star Member

No experience with reptile eggs but with poultry it can take a little while, some are a bit quicker than others sometimes.
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nej View Post
Hi everyone. I've got 5 musk turtle eggs been incubating for 64 days now and one has started to crack. The tip of the egg has popped open and you can see the turtles nose but there has been no change for 5 hours now. How long should it take for the turtles to emerge from it's egg?
It can take quite a while for the hatchling to get out of the shell, and it might well still have an egg sac.
My boxie hatchlings took a lot longer than five hours to hatch. As have my tortoise eggs:0)
Old 17-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Regular

thanks guys. first turtle is fully hatched and he seemed to be doing fine. Just gone to transfer him to a nursery tank and as I picked him up his egg sack has popped off and there is some blood around the wet paper towel he was sitting on.

panicking a little, is this normal???
Old 17-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
thanks guys. first turtle is fully hatched and he seemed to be doing fine. Just gone to transfer him to a nursery tank and as I picked him up his egg sack has popped off and there is some blood around the wet paper towel he was sitting on.

If there is ll an egg sac, then he has hatched too early. Normally hatchlings with sacs are placed back into the incubator in a safe place ie damp cotton pad in an egg cup until the yolk is absorbed. He needs to be kept scrupulously clean until healed now. Did you help him out of the egg at all? They usually sit there for up to a day or so if they have a yolk still attached.

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 17-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Premier Member

Quote:

Cover the sac area with Vaseline to help stop infections setting in. And cover if possible.

Tags
musk turtle hatching