Outdoor Terrapin - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 19-07-2014, 05:57 PM

As has been said - photos and pond sizes/depths would be useful so we can advise further.

The pond must be secure, which obviously it is as the turtle is still in it! You can make your own filter using a plastic box, pond pump, tubing and Alfagrog (the media that goes in the box) - we can also give you more details on how to do this.

There must also be a basking area so the turtle can climb out of the water safely and dry off. With the weather the way it is at the moment the turtles are thriving being outdoors. Obviously, from October - March will need "discussing" as to the best thing to do. We bring all of ours indoors then, but again, more information can be provided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Super Regular
Question

Hi
I have a question......
When you say that you have inherited a pond complete with turtle, who is feeding the turtle?
Presumably the animal belongs to someone?

Old 20-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Egg

Thank you all so much for your replies - you've no idea how much confidence you've given me to take a bit of care of this little fella (or lady, no idea which). Can I ask for a bit more advice from you please.

Will say "he" for simplicity.

He's survived as I understand for the last couple of years outdoors with I suspect very little care as the house had been empty almost that long when I arrived and he was in hibernation at that time. On balance it looks as though I might be better not to use the barley straw. From what I've seen of him he has no algae on his shell. I've had minimal advice from my landlord though she did produce a couple of tubs of commercial food and I recently bought some more. It says to feed twice a day but I read that terrapins should not be overfed so have been feeding him once every other day. The food is Friskies Multifloc for Terrapins - molluscs, fish etc. Is this OK? He seems to be doing alright but if there's something better I'll get it for him and will feed him more often if you think I should. I live in France so may have to buy online.

She also said that he would, or might, lose some of his shell and it would regrow. Is this right and is it a yearly occurrence?

One other point, how deep should the pond be? He's obviously survived a couple of winters in it but it's been pretty hot here and the pond level goes down. I've no idea how deep the pond is and doubt if my landlord will remember so will have to measure it myself.

Edit: I should have said he has red ears.

Sorry for so many questions but thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited by amyanne; 20-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Regular

Thank you all so much for your replies - you've no idea how much confidence you've given me to take a bit of care of this little fella (or lady, no idea which). Can I ask for a bit more advice from you please.

He's survived as I understand for the last couple of years outdoors with I suspect very little care as the house had been empty almost that long when I arrived and he was in hibernation at that time. On balance it looks as though I might be better not to use the barley straw. From what I've seen of him he has no algae on his shell. I've had minimal advice from my landlord though she did produce a couple of tubs of commercial food and I recently bought some more. It says to feed twice a day but I read that terrapins should not be overfed so have been feeding him once every other day. The food is Friskies Multifloc for Terrapins - molluscs, fish etc. Is this OK? He seems to be doing alright but if there's something better I'll get it for him and will feed him more often if you think I should. I live in France so may have to buy online.

She also said that he would, or might, lose some of his shell and it would regrow. Is this right and is it a yearly occurrence?

One other point, how deep should the pond be? He's obviously survived a couple of winters in it but it's been pretty hot here and the pond level goes down. I've no idea how deep the pond is and doubt if my landlord will remember so will have to measure it myself.

Right. The feeding amount you have got spot on, every other day. If we had some photos of 'him' we could sex him for you. (Underbelly pics with tail and nail pics) however if your not confident in picking up the turtle don't worry. I believe it was the right thing to do with the barley straw especially as you don't have a filter. Any more news on this? What your landlord said is partially correct, he will in deed shed his scutes(parts of his shell) every couple or months bit like a snake but this is nothing to worry about it's perfectly natural and he should be able to do it him self. Recently there has been big debate on pond depth but depending on where you live in France I think anything around 2ft deep would be fine with easy access to get out of the pond and soak up the sun finally from what you said, you have a turtle called a red eared slider. If you wish to know more about your species of turtle type it into google and look at a website called 'austins turtle page' where there should be a care sheet on this species

Josh
LawrenceJMitchell likes this.
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyanne View Post

Sounds like a Red Eared Slider or possibly a Cumberland Slider, either way the care is the same. A photo would confirm the species one way or the other.

Take a look at the care sheet for a Red Eared Slider here. Care Sheet - Red Ear Slider

Feeding frequency would be dependant upon it's size but feeding amount should be enough to fill it's head if it were hollow (if that makes sense)

The care sheet should provide you with plenty of information.

A good pellet is a staple diet for turtles, I use Hikari myself but reptomin is another good one reccomended by a lot of keepers.

I would reccomend getting a filter and pump sorted for the pond.

Last edited by supatips; 20-07-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 20-07-2014, 02:36 PM
No Life Member

(Almost) off-topic, but there is something rather cool about 'inheriting' a turtle with a rental property!
amyanne likes this.
Old 20-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Egg

OK - I'll try to get a photo of the terrapin and pond. Internet's been down for a couple of hours. I'm in the mid Charente if that helps anyone. 2011 we were down to -20 at one point in the winter, this last one there was scarcely a frost. The pond is enclosed but the area it's enclosed in has become quite overgrown, and although there are one or two rocks for him to sunbathe on, they two are becoming overgrown. Main reason I haven't cut the grass in the enclosure is that there's a wasp (or possibly hornet's) nest underneath the concrete step on which the gate rests! The other reason is that I saw a snake in the main garden a week or so ago, and I know my neighbours have seen one or two - vipers or adders apparently, though I saw a Western Whip on the roadside a while ago, sadly dead. So first I have to brave the wasp's nest then try to cut down the overgrowth to get a path to the pond, whilst beating around very gingerly for anything else lurking! Some beekeepers have suggested I cover the entrance to the nest at night and then nip out at sunrise (ha ha, don't know what sunrise looks like!!) and start strimming. The pond is quite close to the fencing so at the moment I can just drop his food into the water. Will have a look at the care sheets one or two of you have recommended. Meantime Supatips thanks for telling me how much I should feed him - think I've been getting that about right. Will check out Hikari and reptomin as well.

Someone mentioned his size - I would guess between 8-9" for the length of the shell.
Old 20-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

Ignore this, posted by mistake
Old 20-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarebear View Post
Perhaps ive missed something, but how do you know its a north american turtle? Some regions of France have native European pond turtles.
I didn't realise the OP was in France when I made my suggestion. I though it was the UK.

Would a European pond turtle have a red ear? I don't know an awful lot about their overall appearance if I am honest.

If it is indeed a slider are they classed as invasive in France?

Last edited by supatips; 20-07-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Old 20-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Magpie View Post
(Almost) off-topic, but there is something rather cool about 'inheriting' a turtle with a rental property!
hey ron
buy my house and it comes with an outside pond full of turtles lol

steve
supatips likes this.
0.2.0 river cooter
1.0.0 golden thread
1.5.0 yellow pond turtle
2.0.0 ornate wood turtle

Tags
terrapin