Planted tank for musks? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 19-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Gold Star Member
Default Planted tank for musks?

Hi everyone. I hope you are enjoying the weather.

I've been thinking about planted tanks and was wondering if it was a viable option for musk turtles given their somewhat destructive nature where plants are concerned.

Has anyone tried this if so how well did you get on and what do I need to set one up? I'm not sure on the substrate etc.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Super Regular

I have had plants in with my musk before and they've been fine. As long as they have big hardy leaves like Anubis or swords then you should be fine. After all mine has never touched anything green.

Josh
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP turtle View Post
I have had plants in with my musk before and they've been fine. As long as they have big hardy leaves like Anubis or swords then you should be fine. After all mine has never touched anything green.

Josh
I have plants and moss balls in with mine at all times as they enjoy the cover and clambering around in the leaves.As well as ripping them apart I'll bear those plants in mind thanks.

Did you try to establish and maintain a planted tank with your musks at all? I was wondering if it was worth trying to establish one at all?
Advertisement

Old 20-07-2014, 12:33 AM
Super Regular

Personally no...but it would be nice to see one. I think if you had a good substrate and good balance the plants should be healthy enough and grow quicker enough for the turtles to have minimal damage. But how many turtles are you considering putting in with the plants and what size tank? Plus how many plants? Mine have never really taken a fancy to plants, just keep them well fed.

Josh
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP turtle View Post
Personally no...but it would be nice to see one. I think if you had a good substrate and good balance the plants should be healthy enough and grow quicker enough for the turtles to have minimal damage. But how many turtles are you considering putting in with the plants and what size tank? Plus how many plants? Mine have never really taken a fancy to plants, just keep them well fed.

Josh
It's the tank with my two, I was looking at doing somthing a bit more interesting with the tank than I am doing now. I thought a planted setup if it could be achieved considering the inhabitants would look quite smart.

The substrate etc was what I wasn't sure about hence the thread and my wondering if it was viable or not. I don't mind my turtles ripping the plants to shreds but wondered if it was a viable option to try and grow some plants in the tank with them instead of having to replace them every so often.

The number of plants etc is not somthing I have considered yet.

My slider is the one that is careful with the plants in his enclosure. My musks seem to enjoy ripping them to pieces and having the occasional bite.

They are all fed correctly and sufficiently mate don't worry
Old 20-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Regular

It's the tank with my two, I was looking at doing somthing a bit more interesting with the tank than I am doing now. I thought a planted setup if it could be achieved considering the inhabitants would look quite smart.

The substrate etc was what I wasn't sure about hence the thread and my wondering if it was viable or not. I don't mind my turtles ripping the plants to shreds but wondered if it was a viable option to try and grow some plants in the tank with them instead of having to replace them every so often.

My slider is the one that is careful with the plants in his enclosure. My musks seem to enjoy ripping them to pieces and having the occasional bite.

0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Regular

Well most people who have planted tanks have dirt substrate however with turtles this could be a problem. I think plants should grow well enough in sand maybe with the additive of a liquid fertiliser like flourish excel. It's strange how your slider leaves your plants alone but the musks don't . The only reason I mentioned number of plants is if you had the tank stacked with like 50 plants there is no way the turts could rip all that up before at least some of them would start growing. It's worth a try. What you got to lose?

Josh
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Ultra Citizen

There is no reason you couldnt use aquarium soil as a substrate. I do and have done for years without fault.

Honestly I cant see it working, eventually the turtle will go on a rampage and destroy it all or dig up the roots.. If you do try it, plants like Java fern are meant to taste bitter to turtles so they tend to leave it alone for longer. You wouldnt need to worry about substrate for java fern either.
Old 20-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Regular

Some inspiration

This people seem to of had some success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supatips likes this.
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Gold Star Member

Cheers for the replies.

I might give aquarium soil a go as substrate. With Java fern would it just want weighing down if it doesn't require planting?

JP. Thanks for finding those pictures out for me. They look great.

Tags
enclosure , musk , planted , tank