Musk Shell Concerns - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 19-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Super Regular
Default Musk Shell Concerns

Hello.
I have a Musk turtle who I have recently rehomed who I have some concerns about. There are four areas of her shell that look abnormal to me which I think might be, but hope are not shell rot.
I'm keeping her fine, as she should be kept. These marks were already present when I received her. They're not something that I have let her get if they're unnatural.

To take these next photos I dried her shell to reduce glare. Whilst drying her with a hand towel I noticed small flecks of these areas flake off. Could they just be stuck parts of shed scoots?

Thank you to anyone who takes to time to look at this thread. Thanks in advance to any help I might receive.
Hopefully I'm just a worrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Gold Star Member

I'll deffer judgement to someone who is a bit better than me with these sorts of things. But is there any kind of discharge or smell from those areas?
Old 19-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
I'll deffer judgement to someone who is a bit better than me with these sorts of things. But is there any kind of discharge or smell from those areas?
No discharge or smell. The areas are firm and three out of the four are risen above like an extra thin flaky scute. I'm mostly concerned about the whiter looking one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2014, 12:31 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Hmmm, I am not sure it is shell rot, I've never seen shell rot start in multiple places? Though its not impossible I assume, looks like something though.
How long did ago did you notice it? Is it recent or already have it?
Old 20-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Super Regular

I think the little guy just needs a good shed! The areas are just old scutes waiting to come off.
minicb likes this.
0.1.0 Razorback Musk
Old 20-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Gold Star Member

I would expect shell rot to be oozing and have oudour to it too. It seems to most likley be retained scute as JP has already said. My slider is not a particularly good sheder either despite everything setup wise being ok.

I'm not a big fan of internet diagnosis so I will say that if you are concerned in any way about it go and see a good reptile vet. There is a sticky at the top of the section. At the end of the day you have the turtle in front of you we obviously don't!!
Old 20-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazare Slytherin View Post
Hmmm, I am not sure it is shell rot, I've never seen shell rot start in multiple places? Though its not impossible I assume, looks like something though.
How long did ago did you notice it? Is it recent or already have it?
I've had them for around a week. Noticing these marks as soon as they arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supatips View Post
I would expect shell rot to be oozing and have oudour to it too. It seems to most likley be retained scute as JP has already said. My slider is not a particularly good sheder either despite everything setup wise being ok.

I'm not a big fan of internet diagnosis so I will say that if you are concerned in any way about it go and see a good reptile vet. There is a sticky at the top of the section. At the end of the day you have the turtle in front of you we obviously don't!!
Of course, but I have never seen shell rot, nor have any of my turtles in the past and in the present had problems shedding scutes. And again I already stated that I believed that it would possibly and hopefully be just a bad shed.
I have another musk that was purchased along side this one who is obviously in need of a really good shed. But with her it's full scutes not left over scraps of shell.

Thank you all for the comments and reassuring me that it weren't anything worse.
Old 22-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Egg

Looks like her shell is just shedding apart from the indented one that looks like a chip.
Old 23-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMan69 View Post
Looks like her shell is just shedding apart from the indented one that looks like a chip.
She weren't currently in full scute shed, but had left over scraps.
Surprisingly I've caught her basking three times now and these scraps have flaked off.
Both my musks shells aren't perfect. I'd love them to have perfectly smooth shiny carapace' the smaller of the two hasn't yet smoothed out. She(I'm guessing) also as a slight kidney bean shaping. I presume previously to me owning them they didn't make use of the a basking area.

They're being kept fine, and were by the previous owner from what I saw. Correct lighting and good diet. Hopefully I'll have no future worries.

Tags
musk , musk turtle , shellrot? , turtle