Ybs advice needed! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Egg
Default Ybs advice needed!

I've had my two yellow bellied sliders for over 6 years now. First got them when they were around 1/2 years old. Because they were in such a bad condition when I got them I took them to our local exotic vet to make sure all was well. The vet sexed them as females and they were fine.

They've gotten on great for the entire time I've had them but recently the smaller of the two has begun to bite the bigger one. It started at meals times (fed in tank - frozen blocks) now it seems to be very random when food isn't involved. Also seem to have a vengeance for the filter in the tank which they didn't before! The tank that they're in is a 200ltr tank with full dock and UVB.

Any ideas on this would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 AM

They cannot be sexed when young, but certainly can be at six. Males have much thicker tails and long front claws. If you can post some pictures using Photobucket or similar, showing heads, tails, claws we should be able to sex/id them.

It would sound as though you do have one of each, from you description, in which case they will need to be separated. If one is biting the other they should be separated asap, as an infection could set in fairly quickly.

Tags
biting , yellow bellied slider