Ybs fighting - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 14-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Egg
Default Ybs fighting

Hi, I have 2 ybs (1 male 1 female) they are 2 years old. Over the last few months the male has been trying to mount the female, she's not interested at all and generally just moved away but after a while the male will attack her. Trying to bite her back feet and shell, he's also had her by the neck a few times! They are in a 4ft tank currently. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop the fighting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Gold Star Member

I'm guessing the male is starting to mature. Separation would be the only thing I could suggest to be honest. Other than that a bigger enclosure it might help give her some space.
Old 14-01-2015, 07:43 AM

As above.

Separate them - it will continue, although they must be more than two years old to know their sexes. He will eventually mate with her and could cause her damage, but he will continue hounding her. Bites can become infected, which obviously you don't want happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Egg

Thanks for the replys, we thought we may need to separate them. How do they do having another turtle of the same sex being added ? If separating then adding another male to the male tank or female in the female tank?
Old 14-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaby123 View Post
Thanks for the replys, we thought we may need to separate them. How do they do having another turtle of the same sex being added ? If separating then adding another male to the male tank or female in the female tank?
Generally two males will fight. Two females is your best chance of cohabitation. Or 2 or 3 females with a male will lead to him not pestering one all the while.

The problem would be finding a large enough enclosure for them to live together as they become adults. Sliders are tanks busters and females can reach 12-14 inches fully grown.

Any new additions would be best quarantined for a while before being added too.
Old 14-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Regular
Default Fighting YBS

Yes, you'll have to separate them...had to do this with mine..I have a cumberland male ( about 7" long ) and a YBS girl, around 5"...he pestered her from backside to breakfast time!!!

Tried to bite etc..After they had been apart for around a month I experimented and put them together whilst I supervised....he was up to his old tricks in about 15 minutes...he hadn't forgotton!!

Good luck with them...Desi

Tags
yellow bellied slider