HELP! my tort is pyramiding :( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 26-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Regular
Unhappy HELP! my tort is pyramiding :(

Please help! my little spud has begun to show signs of pyramiding, he is a hermanns tort, he's 5 months old
I have him in an open topped enclosure with soil as a substrate deep enough to dig in. He has daily soaks and has a diet that consists of: clover, dandelion, kale, occasional bit of wild spring salad mix, dead nettle, seed mix, I'm growing a rose for the petals, he has nasturtiums, pansies and if i don't see him drink in the bath or during the day for a few days i give him 1/4 a slice of cucumber.

Is it possible for it to be low humidity?
How can i stop it progressing?
what am i doing wrong?
Please help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Super Regular

The only suggestion I can make is maybe lack of calcium?

Mine has the same problem but I've not figured out why, he gets the proper levels of heat and UV and for the first 6 years of his life we fed him mainly on the recommended food (recommended by the shop we got him from that is), i.e. Komodo balanced diet stuff.

Now we feed 50% 'natural' food and 50% Komodo stuff and I've changed to a combined UV/Heat bulb plus I'm sticking him outside during the day (when it's warm enough) but no-one has ever explained why the pyramiding actually occurs apart from saying "high protein" diet.
Old 27-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudthetortoise View Post
Please help! my little spud has begun to show signs of pyramiding, he is a hermanns tort, he's 5 months old
I have him in an open topped enclosure with soil as a substrate deep enough to dig in. He has daily soaks and has a diet that consists of: clover, dandelion, kale, occasional bit of wild spring salad mix, dead nettle, seed mix, I'm growing a rose for the petals, he has nasturtiums, pansies and if i don't see him drink in the bath or during the day for a few days i give him 1/4 a slice of cucumber.

what am i doing wrong?
Please help!!!!
A picture will help more to see how bad this is:0)
Too much protein, incorrect husbandry and over feeding are some of the reasons for pyramiding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Gold Star Member

don't forget to spray and water any soil based substrate, the surface will dry but the underneath wants have some moisture in it, not soggy or wet though.
Old 27-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudthetortoise View Post

what am i doing wrong?
Please help!!!!
What is his weight gain? Even correct diet can cause pyramiding if over fed, although it is less likely with correct humidity below ground. My torts rarely drink, but because their substrate is the correct humidity they don't need too. Wild tortoises don't drink every day as they dig down to control hydration, which also helps with smooth growth.

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com

Tags
help me , hermann , humidity , pyramiding , tortoise