Yellow belly turtles new home - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 AM
Egg
Arrow Yellow belly turtles new home

Hi All,

Please take a look at the video here (Links to dropbox)

This is still a work in progress as at the moment the basking area is on stilts which they can swim under but I am worried they may hurt themselves on the legs so eventually its going to sit across the top of the tank giving them clear swimming space underneath.

The technology which monitors the air and water temperature and also streams the live video feeds of the basking areas and the underwater camera is something I have created using a Raspberry Pi.

Any suggestions or comments on what I have right and what I have wrong? These are my first turtles and I am learning new things about them all the time,

Best wishes

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 AM

to the Forum.

The basking area needs the heat source and uv over it so that when they climb out they can dry off. It also needs to be dry so that they are not sitting in pools of water.

Depending upon their age/size 20c water temperature is suitable - what water temperature do they have?

I couldn't see their tails or front claws clearly enough to know their sex - males have long claws and much thicker tails, but if you have one of each they will need to be separated as he will continually pester her; two females will live happily together as can two males (not always, but if there are no females around it can work). If female, they reach 12"+.

At this time of year, a safe outdoor pond is ideal for them.
benmason likes this.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Gold Star Member

I'd be really interested to learn more about your use of the raspberry pi.
benmason likes this.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Egg

Thanks for your advice, the basking area is directly under one of the UV lamps but the heat lamp comes in from one side as it is the only way it fits. They normally have another rock on the basking area which makes them a dry area.

I'm pretty sure they are both female as they have short claws.

Is it not bit cold in the UK for outdoor ponds?

The Raspberry PI runs who 1-wire temperature sensors and using a python script checks every 5 minutes for temperatues outside the range. If it reads three temperatures in a row outside the range it sends a notification to my phone.

The CCTV is run with one raspi camera for the dock and a waterproof webcam for the underwater feed. Motion is then used to stream / record the feed.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmason View Post

Is it not bit cold in the UK for outdoor ponds?
During the warmer months it is fine for turtles of North American origin such as yours to go outside. Other species do fine outdoors in the UK too, European pond turtles sping to mind as far as aquatic species go.

I think late April to early May is normally when a lot of people put them outside and then think about bringing them in around September time. But some do keep outdoors all year round but it does require a lot of research to be done anywhere near safely.

Tags
habiat , yellow bellied slider , yellow bellied turtle