Hermann unwilling to eat - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 21-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Hatchling
Default Hermann unwilling to eat

Hi All,

I've looked around but I wanted to confirm I'm worrying over nothing....

My little Hermann (1) hasn't really eaten much since last week - maybe 1 small dandelion leaf. He is bathed daily to keep him hydrated, water in his enclosure changed daily, basking area is 30.7 degrees, cold end is 21 degrees. I've provided him with fresh weeds daily but they're just drying out and I remove them the day after.

He seems very healthy, alert, walking around, in and out of his water but I'm trying to work out exactly 'why' he isn't eating much?

Jj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonJj View Post
Hi All,

I've looked around but I wanted to confirm I'm worrying over nothing....

My little Hermann (1) hasn't really eaten much since last week - maybe 1 small dandelion leaf. He is bathed daily to keep him hydrated, water in his enclosure changed daily, basking area is 30.7 degrees, cold end is 21 degrees. I've provided him with fresh weeds daily but they're just drying out and I remove them the day after.

He seems very healthy, alert, walking around, in and out of his water but I'm trying to work out exactly 'why' he isn't eating much?

Jj
Up until today temps have dropped outside, which affects the inside temps to. Your temps are a little on the low side. They need to be more like 32c and the other end are 25c. Also if he has been outside, he is just stropping as that's where he would rather be:0)
Old 22-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Gold Star Member

is he new to you? they can take a while to settle in, if he doesn't start to eat again then it might be worth having a poo sample tested for worms etc especially if its not a uk hatched tort, most shop ones come from abroad and can carry more worms etc than uk bred ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Hatchling

Hi Both,

He has been here 2 weeks so he is quite new and his lack of eating does somewhat tie in with the same time I rearranged his tortoise table last week - it was originally quite bland so I moved things around, add more interesting things. Prior to that he was eating fine.

I've also noted that both yesterday and today I've come down to find he has moved from where he usually sleeps (in a corner) and is either in/climbing into his water bowl. I find this confusing as I water his soil daily and give him baths daily yet I presume he's heading to his water as he's dehydrated?
Old 22-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Both,

He has been here 2 weeks so he is quite new and his lack of eating does somewhat tie in with the same time I rearranged his tortoise table last week - it was originally quite bland so I moved things around, add more interesting things. Prior to that he was eating fine.

I've also noted that both yesterday and today I've come down to find he has moved from where he usually sleeps (in a corner) and is either in/climbing into his water bowl. I find this confusing as I water his soil daily and give him baths daily yet I presume he's heading to his water as he's dehydrated?

If you have only had him two weeks then he is still adjusting to a new home and set up:0)
Food is not important at this time but keeping him hydrated is, and you are doing the right thing in bathing him:0)
Try not to change things too much, as just like us they dont like change:0)
Wait until he is more settled and eating to change things around.
As long as he has a dry nose, clear bright eyes and moving around then its just a matter of time:0)
Old 22-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Hatchling

Incredibly he's just climbed out of his water bowl and started munching on the dandelions within his tortoise table.

I presumed it'd be the change of tortoise table that may have upset him although I was slightly concerned as when I first put him in there, he didn't seem at all phased and ate within 24 hours!
Old 22-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Incredibly he's just climbed out of his water bowl and started munching on the dandelions within his tortoise table.

I presumed it'd be the change of tortoise table that may have upset him although I was slightly concerned as when I first put him in there, he didn't seem at all phased and ate within 24 hours!

Its great he has settled in quickly:0)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Citizen

Funnily enough mine has slowed his eating recently too. It's only today I have noticed a distinct drop in the temperature though.

His table is around 34 at the basking spot and about 23 at the cool end. Thinking about adding a perspex "lid" to the table (with ventilation holes) to keep the heat in the cooler end a bit better - Anyone else done anything similar?

Also wondering if its worth adding a small heat mat to the cool end to help over winter if I decide not to hibernate him (still undecided on this).
Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO233 View Post
Funnily enough mine has slowed his eating recently too. It's only today I have noticed a distinct drop in the temperature though.

His table is around 34 at the basking spot and about 23 at the cool end. Thinking about adding a perspex "lid" to the table (with ventilation holes) to keep the heat in the cooler end a bit better - Anyone else done anything similar?

Also wondering if its worth adding a small heat mat to the cool end to help over winter if I decide not to hibernate him (still undecided on this).

Sounds like your tortoise is slowing down with the length of the day:0)
Tortoises naturally start to wind down when the nights get darker. The temps drop outside along with light levels, so they know its nearly hibernation time.
My adult iberas have been slowly winding down through August, especially as it has been a lot colder of late, even here in Kent:0)
Unless we have an indian Summer, I think hibernation time this year will be a lot earlier than it has been in the past few years. Only time will tell.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Gold Star Member

if you allow them to hibernate does that mean a longer one or would they be awake in the middle of winter wouldn't that be even harder to keep them awake then than trying to keep them awake for longer now. I'm sure there's a max safe length for hibernation even for adults, mine had about 20 weeks which many think to long but that was from November till March or so with October as the wind down month.

Tags
eating , hermann , juvenile