New tortoise owner needs help! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 10-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Egg
Question New tortoise owner needs help!

Hi everyone,
My partner surprised me with Rapha the horsefield tortoise on Christmas Day just gone.
We think Rapha is about 2 and was checked over by a vet this week - all looking good.

However, forgot to ask a question.
Rapha has softer lines/rings around the bottom of his shell, and when I touch them he makes a sort of hissing noise.
Does this hurt him?
He wriggles when I touch the lines too.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateandRapha View Post
Hi everyone,
My partner surprised me with Rapha the horsefield tortoise on Christmas Day just gone.
We think Rapha is about 2 and was checked over by a vet this week - all looking good.

However, forgot to ask a question.
Rapha has softer lines/rings around the bottom of his shell, and when I touch them he makes a sort of hissing noise.
Does this hurt him?
He wriggles when I touch the lines too.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Photos will help. Normally tortoises have a slight give in the plastron(bottom shell) up to around twelve months. How big / heavy is your tortoise? You should never press on the plastron though and if your tortoise makes a noise when you do this you have either surprised him or hurt him. Tortoises don't hiss as such, but if the head is suddenly drawn in then you will hear a hiss as air leaves the body, it's because he is encased in a shell. Not sure why you took him to a vet as unless he was ill, a vet would not be able to tell you much unless he did any tests. If by softer lines you mean lighter coloured rings, these are growth rings, but they should be hardly visible, so if you can actually feel them, he has been grown far too fast and if they are soft he might be lacking in calcium. Hope this helps ***128521;

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Egg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Egg

Thank you for replying, I'm trying to upload a photo. I think the vet said he was 13grams but I can double check if needed.

The lines I'm trying to portray are on the carapace below the scutes.

I'll keep trying to upload the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Egg

Thank you for replying, I've tried to reply using the app on several times but it's not working!
I have photos but I can't seem to add them here...

He's about 13grams, and I took him to a bet for a general health check.

The rings are on the bottom of the carapace, they sound like growth rings but he hasn't eaten much since I've had him.
Old 13-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateandRapha View Post
Thank you for replying, I've tried to reply using the app on several times but it's not working!
I have photos but I can't seem to add them here...

He's about 13grams, and I took him to a bet for a general health check.

The rings are on the bottom of the carapace, they sound like growth rings but he hasn't eaten much since I've had him.
Much bigger than 13 grams but probably still quite young but with massive overgrowth. He's been power fed probably with pellets or similar. His growth needs to be slowed down to around 2-3 grams a month. You have at least ten times the normal growth pattern there and this accelerated growth will be tender where the blood vessels are near to the surface. Have a look here for diet www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm Weigh him regularly and keep the growth slow. The rings within the fast growth areas are keratin stress due to too fast growth. The lighter coloured lines should be no more than a pencil line width and never a wide band. I'd swap vets too, yours is clearly not a reptile vet. Keep him hydrated until he starts eating, it's early days yet. This is how I keep horsfields Tortsmad UK ~ Russian Tortoises/Horsfield Tortoises Good luck.

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com

Tags
line , ring , soft , tortoise