New to this world - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 22-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Hatchling
Post New to this world

Hi,
I've been looking into YBS for a while now and today I decided to get myself some, I just have a few questions if anyone would like to help!
1. What does everyone use for a filtration system? I just have an in the water filter which is simple enough but I'm worried about the water for them with it being new and having no good bacteria in it yet.
2. What kind of diet do you have your YBS on?
3. They are both not even bigger then my hand, what would you rate their age to be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Regular

Filter....eheim 'classic' external canister filter range.

Food....zoo-med turtle maintenance formula once or twice a week, greens ( spinach, romaine lettuce, you can check which veggies are ok) daily.

Age...not sure, other members will know better. Females can grow to size of dinner plates, something to consider when you're selecting a tank or other home for em.

testing my patience with tapatalk again!
Old 22-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Eheim external filters on tanks, or else we have made our own for the indoor/outdoor ponds.

Reptomin and wheatgerm pellets, dandelion leaves, Romaine lettuce. We do not feed every day and certainly not "greens" daily.

Be warned, if female they will get very big. If you have one male and one female they are going to need separating when he matures.

to the Forum. Are you able to post some pictures using Photobucket, or similar, showing their heads, tails and front claws so that we can id and possibly sex them. Males have thicker tails and long front claws, but if young then it cannot be determined!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Regular

'Certainly not greens daily'

So what about ponds with duckweed or other pond plants?
I dont get that quote!

Old 22-02-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparoundthebend View Post
'Certainly not greens daily'

So what about ponds with duckweed or other pond plants?
I dont get that quote!

You said:

Food....zoo-med turtle maintenance formula once or twice a week, greens ( spinach, romaine lettuce, you can check which veggies are ok) daily.

We find that the Cooters eat the Romaine lettuce and dandelion leaves. The Sliders will nibble the dandelion leaves but leave the lettuce. We don't feed spinach. As for pond plants - duckweed is dropped in at regular intervals when indoors and is eaten at once as are any other pond plants. Outside in the summer we have duckweed growing separately so, again, dropped in as and when. They will nibble the water lily leaves but certainly don't eat them.
Old 22-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Regular

Most stuff ive read has said greens can be fed daily, its the high protein turtle food that should be rationed in adults. The zoomed food i only give weds and sat maximum, sometimes they 'ignore' me when i go to feed em so i dont feed, so theyll only get it once a week. Greens, I'll drop some in, if theyve gone the next day I'll put more in, if theres still remnants, i wont.

That's how ive done it according to stuff ive read, if its wrong though let me know.

Old 22-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Hatchling

Okay, this is sounds good, i will look into their food a bit more, they havent eaten today but im assuming this is because they are still settling in!got some pellets for them today as well.

Tags
new turtle ybs tank , ybs , yellow bellied slider