The Future............ - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 30-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Default The Future............

Been redecorating the dining room/winter turtle room. Now have to decide on suitable ponds for them as they mature they will need separating.

The large Laguna ponds have to stay outdoors as too big to get through the doorways, although of course we managed to get them outside originally!

Really need some 4' tubs. Plasterers baths are ideal for some of ours, but are only 1' wide and 1' deep. Ideally need bigger - depth no less than a 1', but above basking areas are used anyway.

Any thoughts anyone? If I can avoid paying the £000's needed for Lagunas, it would help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Forum Citizen

Have you looked on ebay? There are usually a number of koi quarantine tubs for sale second hand. Obviously distance from your location may be an issue but worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 30-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Have you looked on ebay? There are usually a number of koi quarantine tubs for sale second hand. Obviously distance from your location may be an issue but worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Yes. I look regularly. They sometimes go for high prices, plus collection would mean 'a man and a van'. We were lucky a couple of years ago as we got a 6'x4' for £30 and had access to a guy who collected and delivered for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Ultra Citizen

Wa about makeing wooden ones to your aize then epoxy the inside. Duno how well that would hold up. Silicone all the edges then. Check out king od diy joeys youtube channel. He made a wooden ply fish tank. Get some odeas from there.
Old 30-07-2017, 02:22 PM

We made a wooden one years ago lined with Wickes dpc membrane material, which worked well, but they got too big for it! It is now the tortoise enclosure for overnight and winter time.

I think we are going to go for these:

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/250-litre-fish-tub.html

As always, it is the shipping costs that are the downer. I've looked into mortar tubs, but the manufacturer/supplier told me they were not watertight and suggested plasterers baths, which don't come any bigger than 4'x2'1'. The above are approx 3'6"x2'6"x2'. The turtles appreciate the deeper water.
Old 31-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Were looking at some others yesterday, but after hours hunting about online, found these. They have confirmed this morning that they will hold that volume of water without an issue. They look better as they are in black so would match all the other ponds and plasterers baths.

Any comments etc are welcome:

250 Litres Tough Plastic Water Tank Rectangular
Old 15-08-2017, 08:52 PM

Gone for these Laguna ponds:

Rectangular Goldfish Tub 105 X 72 X 30cm

Ordered Sunday night and arrived lunchtime today
Old 23-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Bought the wood today, all 96' of it, to make the basking dock covers over the weekend. Wood attached to the top of each tub, fireguard screens attached to the sides and tops, using battens etc.

Then it will be making the filter boxes up and ordering the pumps. Costing a fair bit, but at least everything will match, and all will be in place indoors ready for them in October. The aquarium sealant will have plenty of time to cure, unlike the usual mad rush of sealing as a tube gets knocked carrying them back in/out!
Old 27-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Super Citizen

please post photos when your done would really like to see
FishForLife2001 likes this.

Old 28-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Spent the day fitting the wood and sorting out basking areas. Still got to sort out ramps and filter boxes, but that will have to wait until next weekend. So far all three match which is good

Ordered the pumps and tubing tonight. Won't be much change from £300