Yellow Bellied Slider Re-homing to Turtle Sanctuary - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 17-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Egg
Default Yellow Bellied Slider Re-homing to Turtle Sanctuary

Hello,

Despite being a owner of a reptile for almost a decade, I'm new to the world of reptile forums. So please go easy on me.

I have a female Yellow Bellied Slider that is coming up on ten years old and the opportunity to re-home her to a turtle sanctuary has come up. The sanctuary Is a spacious converted back garden with multiple heated ponds of different sizes and plenty of other yellow bellied and red eared sliders.

Basically, I'm looking for advice to see if this is a wise move? She's been a solo turtle for the past 9 years and I don't know how'd she's take to being around other turtles and not having her own tank to herself and not being able to continue with her daily habits.

Any feedback would be much appreciated and all advice welcome.

One love and big up the turtle massive.

Peace x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Ultra Citizen

Going from tank to pond is a risky transfer. Your turtle will have to be fit (have a healthy heart) to take the greater exercise, and be savvy as to sunbathing for warmth, rather than having optimum temperature in the water. It will also need to have plenty of weight on it, as its first response to the colder temps will be to attempt to hibernate (even if it is spring). Hopefully, given the above elements are ticked, it will then acclimatise.

Obviously, the time for the transfer will be May, when the sun is strong enough to offer good sunbathing, and the whole summer is available for acclimatisation.
Shellsfeathers&fur likes this.
Terrapene carolina bauri
Old 18-01-2018, 09:57 AM

As above. I'd be wary of letting someone have her who has so many. It would be virtually impossible for them to do regular health checks, I would have thought, as they would all like so alike!

Females usually do get along with other females, but we do have one female who will not tolerate any others whatsoever.

We do have a fair number, but all have names (!), and I am around a fair bit so am regularly checking on them whether they are indoors, like now, or outside for the summer.

Obviously, don't know where the place is, but if it was one I read about on another Forum recently, they charge you for taking them in! I also get a little perturbed when I read so called sanctuaries, rescue places (run from someone's house) eBaying equipment that they have been given etc, and then posting up pleas for money and/or free equipment.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you having to rehome her? Of course there is now an EU Ruling regarding this, so that is something else that has to be considered.
Clarebear and SueBoyle like this.

Tags
sanctuary , turtle , yellow bellied slider