Mississippi Map trying to lay egg... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 04-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Egg
Exclamation Mississippi Map trying to lay egg...

Hi
First post here, really hope someone can help as I'm not really too sure what to do. My Mississippi Map ( have always thought was a male until now but obviously not) has been very slow and sluggish, hasn't eaten for a couple of days.I noticed yesterday lunch time that there was a larger than normal opening near the tail and what looks like an egg is on it's way out. But it still hasn't come out. She shares a tank with two other turtles, a common musk and a razorback musk, can they interbreed? If not i assume the egg hasn't been fertilised. She get's up and basks quite a lot, still isn't eating and looks quite tired. How long does it normally take a turtle to lay an egg?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 PM

to the Forum.

If either of the others (not necessarily compatible) is male then it is quite likely they will have mated with her, or attempted it with one another.

She needs to have a secure laying box that she can climb into and feel safe. A plastic sandwich box fixed securely lined with garden compost/soil and moss.

I would recommend setting her up on her own tank so that she can lay.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Egg

Thanks for your reply, good news! Overnight she hatched it and it seems either her or one of the other two have eaten it :P She seems back to her normal self which is good

Tags
egg , lay , mississippi map turtle