Invets in my Redfoot enclosure - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 21-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Egg
Default Invets in my Redfoot enclosure

Hi, I've been experienced with exotics for years now but have become stumped at a discovery the other day when feeding my baby redfoot. There appeared to be hundreds and hundreds of tiny invertebrates in her enclosure nothing like I'd seen before. At first I assumed they were springtails but there are springtails in the enclosure as well. These new invertebrates are much bigger than springs darker in colour and faster, they appear to jump a lot and have 'infested' the entirety of the enclosure. They appear to crawl over girl a lot but not doing any harm although she has started to spend most of her day sat in her deep water bowl now. I've dealt with a lot of unexpected inverts in with my animals as a lot of them are rescues but nothing like this. Any suggestions?

P.s. I took a video showing them but I don't know how to add that to this post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Ultra Citizen

no idea without pictures...

To insert photos in RFUK
Click on your user CP tab (top left)
Click on Pictures and Albums ( 7th line down)
Click on Add album
Go into the new album and click Upload pictures. Browse and upload the picture of your choice (NOTE- it must have a maximum of 600px wide size)
Click on the uploaded picture in your album.
Highlight and copy the BB code.
paste the code into the post you are writing. (it helps to have two issues of RFUK up at this point)
Terrapene carolina bauri
Old 21-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark.Animals View Post
Hi, I've been experienced with exotics for years now but have become stumped at a discovery the other day when feeding my baby redfoot. There appeared to be hundreds and hundreds of tiny invertebrates in her enclosure nothing like I'd seen before. At first I assumed they were springtails but there are springtails in the enclosure as well. These new invertebrates are much bigger than springs darker in colour and faster, they appear to jump a lot and have 'infested' the entirety of the enclosure. They appear to crawl over girl a lot but not doing any harm although she has started to spend most of her day sat in her deep water bowl now. I've dealt with a lot of unexpected inverts in with my animals as a lot of them are rescues but nothing like this. Any suggestions?

If you follow the instructions given by boxman you can upload pictures directly to the forum, or if you want to upload it to somewhere like imgur and link it across is fine.

The problem is that it can many different things and these many different things could be from different sources. It could be woodlice/gnats/ants/beetles/flies among other things.

TM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Egg

https://youtu.be/gbZTPl15mGQ
This is a link to the video showing the creepy crawlies in my temporary Redfoot viv. Couldn't figure out the instructions given
Old 22-08-2019, 01:14 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Man View Post
Quote:

If you follow the instructions given by boxman you can upload pictures directly to the forum, or if you want to upload it to somewhere like imgur and link it across is fine.

The problem is that it can many different things and these many different things could be from different sources. It could be woodlice/gnats/ants/beetles/flies among other things.

TM
Any ideas?
Old 22-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Any ideas?
Honestly, no idea for exact identification. But you have more then one type of invertebrate in the video. Some are springtails I think, you seem to have a small looking weevil possibly and possibly fruit flies but am not sure.

Has this happened recently? Have you added anything natural into the enclosure? How often do you clean it out?

TM
Old 22-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Man View Post
Quote:
Any ideas?
Honestly, no idea for exact identification. But you have more then one type of invertebrate in the video. Some are springtails I think, you seem to have a small looking weevil possibly and possibly fruit flies but am not sure.

Has this happened recently? Have you added anything natural into the enclosure? How often do you clean it out?

TM
Nothing new has been added but has only recently occurred. She's due an upgrade soon as this is only a temporary enclosure but her last clean was about a month ago