How do I stop YBS aggression? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 08-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Regular
Default How do I stop YBS aggression?

We have two Yellow Belled Sliders (Yurtle and Mack) who have been living happily together for over five years, and have been moved to a bigger tank (220l) with a floating island (cork bark).

Whilst Mack has always been the more dominant of the two, he's never really done anything more than push Yurtle out of the way when there is food going. However, over the past few weeks, he's been getting quite aggressive towards Yurtle, and gave him a fairly unpleasant-looking bite on the neck. Thankfully, that healed OK, but now he's taken to biting Yurtle's back flippers. It's got to the stage where Yurtle spends most of his time out of the water (Mack rarely climbs out), but even there, he keeps his back flippers and tail withdrawn.

When Yurtle does come into the water, Mack immediately swims underneath him, and hangs around his rear end, looking for opportunities to bite. Even when Yurtle's back flippers and tail are withdrawn, Mack will have a go at him. For some reason, he doesn't seem to go for Yurtle's front flippers or neck.

I have no idea what sex they are, as both have similar sized tails and claws, so I can't compare. Both have fairly flat plastrons, but I don't know if that's reliable enough to identify them.

Anyone know why he's become so aggressive, and what we can do about it? For the moment, I've had to wedge a piece of chicken wire into the tank, splitting it into two sections to keep Yurtle protected. This cuts down their swimming space though, so it's not a long-term solution.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by MrYossu; 08-09-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Citizen
Default How do I stop YBS aggression?

I’d assume both males if long clawed, turtles also mature around that age, and if aggressive then as I said, both Male. So Separate ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Regular

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I didn't say they were both long-clawed, I said they had similar length claws. Not having anything to compare with, I don't know if they are long or short.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Citizen

Nah I’m just saying if they’re long it means Male, males have long claws to show off to the females!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Regular

OK, thanks for the clarification. Do you know how I would tell if they are long or not? What's a normal length for turts of this age?

Thanks again
Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Citizen

If you can add images of them that might be easier!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Super Citizen

Their front claws are longer than the back ones.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Forum Citizen

It doesn't matter the sex, if you have two individuals in a mixed enclosure fighting the only course of action is to split them. You have already seen dominance behaviours towards one of the individuals and this behaviour generally does spiral out of control.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Don't use chicken wire. They could get their heads, limbs or tails caught especially if one is trying to get to the other,

Post some pictures showing their heads, tails and front claws so we can hopefully sex.

As others have said separate.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Regular

OK, thanks to all for the replies. I'll try and get some pics later.

As for the chicken wire, it has a very small spacing, much smaller than their heads, so no chance of them getting stuck. It's what we have on top of the tank to prevent them escaping.

Thanks again

Tags
aggression , yellow bellied slider