Does my tortoise need humidity - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 5
Default Does my tortoise need humidity

I brought my tortoise about a week ago and it’s a 3 month Hermann tortoise. He seems to be settling in well and is in good health. I’m unsure on whether his enclosure needs to be humid (spraying it with water). His enclosure is a wooden tortoise table and the substrate is wood chippings. I read many mixed articles on spraying the substrate with water because it could result in respiratory diseases, however I don’t want him to grow without the care he needs. I bathe him every other day and he has a water dish in his enclosure. He’s my first reptile therefore I’m unsure on what to do. If he does require humidity how much water should I spray etc.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:09 AM
MrJsk's Avatar
Premier Citizen
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 3,456
Default

When you say "wood chippings" what do you mean?

The best substrate for these is a sand and soil mix. This allows them to big and also helps with humidity.

Do you have any pictures ?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Premier Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 7,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany-123 View Post
I brought my tortoise about a week ago and it’s a 3 month Hermann tortoise. He seems to be settling in well and is in good health. I’m unsure on whether his enclosure needs to be humid (spraying it with water). His enclosure is a wooden tortoise table and the substrate is wood chippings. I read many mixed articles on spraying the substrate with water because it could result in respiratory diseases, however I don’t want him to grow without the care he needs. I bathe him every other day and he has a water dish in his enclosure. He’s my first reptile therefore I’m unsure on what to do. If he does require humidity how much water should I spray etc.
Thanks
Wood chippings will help dry out the enclosure, which is not good. Tortoises need a substrate they can dig into. Its the soil that needs spraying according to some. I have kept ibera (same husbandry as hermans) and never had to spray the soil. I did keep hatchlings in my utility room where washing etc happens, so reasonably humid anyway.
Bathing every day will help keep your tortoise hydrated which is vital. But getting your tortoise outside during the Summer months (this depends on where you live, I live in the SE and my hatchlings were outside 24/7 from the end of May until the end of September depending on the weather:0)
Also keeping the water dish in the enclosure is great as they can then bathe as and when they want too:0)
__________________
NO OFFENCE IS MEANT BY THIS MESSAGE
I have never said I am an expert, but I do have over 30yrs experience with tortoises.
I JUST TRY TO HELP
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 5
Default

Thank you for your help I think I’m going to change the substrate to the sand and soil mix as you said it’s better for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany-123 View Post
Thank you for your help I think Im going to change the substrate to the sand and soil mix as you said its better for them.
Sand can irritate their eyes. Get some sterilised top soil from the garden centre. Do check it though as you can find small stones/glass in it sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,506
Default

This should help but do ask if you need anything further:

https://www.tortsmad.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 5
Default

I was thinking the sand might cause problems, thank you for your help I’ll try find some topsoil
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 7,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany-123 View Post
I was thinking the sand might cause problems, thank you for your help Ill try find some topsoil
Also try www.tortoises.net a great site by someone who actually did field research on tortoises. And a great keeper:0)
__________________
NO OFFENCE IS MEANT BY THIS MESSAGE
I have never said I am an expert, but I do have over 30yrs experience with tortoises.
I JUST TRY TO HELP
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
Also try www.tortoises.net a great site by someone who actually did field research on tortoises. And a great keeper:0)
As I believe the person who wrote the link I added has in Turkey and also at the Darwin Research Centre on Santa Cruz Galapagos!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 7,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
As I believe the person who wrote the link I added has in Turkey and also at the Darwin Research Centre on Santa Cruz Galapagos!
The person in my quote also worked with Herbieseed to produce suitable for med tortoises and leopard tortoises. And has a more scientific background with tortoises.
__________________
NO OFFENCE IS MEANT BY THIS MESSAGE
I have never said I am an expert, but I do have over 30yrs experience with tortoises.
I JUST TRY TO HELP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK)