horsefields eyes bubbling in the bath - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 05-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Egg
Default horsefields eyes bubbling in the bath

Hi
Im looking for abit of advice. My horsefields tortoise eyes seem to be watery when he wakes up and when we soak him they bubble in his bath, Hes 20 month old and really been quite inactive over the last few weeks. We put it down to being winter. He is eating but sleeping alot, Any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjimmyc View Post
Hi
Im looking for abit of advice. My horsefields tortoise eyes seem to be watery when he wakes up and when we soak him they bubble in his bath, Hes 20 month old and really been quite inactive over the last few weeks. We put it down to being winter. He is eating but sleeping alot, Any advice.

There could be lots of reasons for this.......infection, overly dry eyes or just nothing at all. Horsfields are highly geared to hibernation and as such do get sleepy or stop feeding over the winter months. Hibernation is the best way to go, especially with horsfields as if they eat for 12 months of the year, they can become quite deformed. How are you keeping him? This is how I keep them www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Old 05-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjimmyc View Post
Hi
Personally I would get him/her checked at a tortoise vets to be sure. Dehydration could be the reason.
Think seriously about hibernation next year, its far better for their health:0)