UV Heat Lamp for Use with Thermostat - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 AM
Premier Citizen

Ah I see you have a horsfield tortoise which is a burrowing species and really isnít suited to indoor living. They need really deep substrate which you canít do in that setup Iím afraid. They really thrive outdoors with a covered heated area. This is how I keep horsfields www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm Iím guessing you bought him from a pet shop or similar. They usually give really poor advice Iím afraid. He appears to have a lot of new growth, so heís been vastly overfed before you got him, so heís not going to starve. Keep him well hydrated and water his substrate, plus Iíd add a full length uv tube along the table for now. Good luck

Breeding group of Testudo hermanni boettgeri
www.tortsmad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBoyle View Post
Ah I see you have a horsfield tortoise which is a burrowing species and really isnít suited to indoor living. They need really deep substrate which you canít do in that setup Iím afraid. They really thrive outdoors with a covered heated area. This is how I keep horsfields www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm Iím guessing you bought him from a pet shop or similar. They usually give really poor advice Iím afraid. He appears to have a lot of new growth, so heís been vastly overfed before you got him, so heís not going to starve. Keep him well hydrated and water his substrate, plus Iíd add a full length uv tube along the table for now. Good luck
Thank you Sue, much appreciated and I will read you website later this evening.
The picture of Shelly is actually when we first got her; we have had her since 2017 and she has steadily grown about 130 grams in the 2.5yrs we have had her. The substrate that we have is deep in the area she goes to sleep and she will dig herself in there and we do keep the ground hydrated by spraying it with water every morning.

Thanks for all your support.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:49 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly2017 View Post
Thank you Sue, much appreciated and I will read you website later this evening.
The picture of Shelly is actually when we first got her; we have had her since 2017 and she has steadily grown about 130 grams in the 2.5yrs we have had her. The substrate that we have is deep in the area she goes to sleep and she will dig herself in there and we do keep the ground hydrated by spraying it with water every morning.

Thanks for all your support.

No problem, what I actually meant re deep soil, was enough to construct a burrow in, as in at least a foot deep and dense enough to hold together. Even if you filled your hide area to the top it wouldnít be near enough. Iím guessing thereís a lot of scratching in corners before she settles. This is because sheís instinctively trying to create a burrow and canít, resulting in stress, which is what you are seeing. Iíd say your problem is definitely the habitat. Sorry if thatís not what you wanted to hear. The sooner itís changed the sooner your little one
will be happy and settle

www.tortsmad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBoyle View Post
Just seen you have a sleeping area, you need to get rid of this really as that will be preventing her from waking. No, not a light in there, just no sleeping area. Sometimes torts like to dig under things such as rocks or stones, but actual bedrooms as seen in some fancy tortoise housing are just wasted space. Keep the whole area as natural as possible, nothing fancy, definitely no different levels and lots of light, as natural as possible. They need to be outdoors ASAP. If youíre on Facebook thereís a really good naturalistic group Maintaining tortoises in the
UK in a non native climate. Youíll get lots of tips there.

Sorry that FB Page should have been
Maintaining tortoises naturalistically in a Non native climate

www.tortsmad.com

Tags
bulb for thermostat