Turtle sleeps on water heater - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 22-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Hatchling
Default Turtle sleeps on water heater

Hello, i wonder if it cna cause any problems if the turtle is sleeping on the water heater? he is 5-6 cm big a common musk turtle and for some reason really likes to sleep at the heater at night otherwis ehe avoids it i think he jus tfinds it comfy cuz its kinda close to the surface, its a 50W heater so nothing overly insane so i wonder if its okey to let it? i mean such a weak heater wouldnt be so hot to burn it? hes using it as a sleeping spot for months now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2020, 03:36 PM

He is using it as a resting place, but I guess with his 'jaws' he might be able to bite it and break the glass or chew the cable?

As he is an adult I would remove the heater altogether and add a dock or piece of mopani wood so he could sit on that.

Edit: I read that initially as years not size! What temperature is the water? Can you may be get a guard for it?
Old 22-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Hatchling

the water is heater is set at 26 celcius, he has a floating dock but as a musk he never uses it ever, he is not chewing anything and even as full adult he wont have the strenght to shatter the glass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Hatchling

my only fear that it would somehow burn his little belly but i dunno with a low capacity heater it can happen

Tags
heater , sleeping , turtle